New to VW - pleasantly surprised
By scope2 on
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Appearance (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Our family of 3 needed to get out of our Saab for mileage and reliability reasons, so we leased a Tiguan as VW has some really good lease deals and I wasn't ready to be married to a VW. We've been pleasantly surprised at how much we really like the car, even though it barely meets what we said we wanted - a SUV that gets at least 20 mpg in the city. It has much smaller cargo capacity than the others we looked at, but feels much larger in the rest of the car, especially in the back seat when extra cargo room isn't needed (most of the time) and the seats can go all the way back. Its got a nice, compliant ride and feels nimble. Has a much more premium feel than anything else in its range.
Favorite Features
After just getting back from a long 8hr drive, I can say that I really appreciate the seats. Not sure what is different, but its the least tired, best supported I've ever felt on a long drive. I love the digital guage that shows your mileage every 2 seconds based on how you're driving at the moment. I was able to learn there is a sweet spot of about 70mph where you get optimum mileage - I easily beat the 26 mpg hwy rating, getting about 28+. But it really shows what a gas hog this car is in city traffic. Really hard to make the 20mpg city. Back seats move up 6-8" for more cargo room. Sorely needed, but was more than sufficient for us, especially since the seats split.
Suggested Improvements
The stereo is better than average for sure, but the interface is by far not one of the best. Last thing I want to be doing while driving is figuring out what I need to push on the screen AND be careful about pushing the right thing - since the 'buttons' can be small. Too much to do on screen. CD loading is ridiculous, would rather have a single CD player. The automatic transmission is constantly trying to get to 5th/6th gear as fast as it can. On the one hand, virtually no high revving heard, very quiet. On the other hand, because it goes to high gear too quickly, it spends a lot of time downshifting and going back and forth. It does so very smoothly, but still a bit annoying to me.