2014 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Didn't last long before trouble prevailed!
By ogopogo on 08/09/14 17:22 PM (PDT)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought 2014 Tiguan in May. Have driven 9700 km in 3 mos., mostly hwy driving. Previous 3 yrs drove a JEEP Grand Cherokee Overlander. Disliked it lagged when speeding up to pass a car. My 2004 Toyota 4-Runner had awesome pickup! Tiguan's has good pickup. I drive 13 hrs, & found I couldn't stretch my legs, so my left knee would stiffen & bother me. Putting my seat back, made me too far away. I'm 5'3". Vehicle went in for oil change Aug 6. It drove perfectly prior; after it shakes like I'm driving in an earthquake at 80 km/hr and gets worse by 100 km/hr (60mi/hr). It feels dangerous to drive now. Taking it back in Monday morning to rectify whatever is the problem.

Three items that are not state-of the art
By vwaudi on 07/26/14 19:47 PM (PDT)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The VW Tiguan drives and handles very well. The whole family loves it. I would surely buy it again.

New to VW - pleasantly surprised
By scope2 on 06/02/14 14:15 PM (PDT)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Appearance (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our family of 3 needed to get out of our Saab for mileage and reliability reasons, so we leased a Tiguan as VW has some really good lease deals and I wasn't ready to be married to a VW. We've been pleasantly surprised at how much we really like the car, even though it barely meets what we said we wanted - a SUV that gets at least 20 mpg in the city. It has much smaller cargo capacity than the others we looked at, but feels much larger in the rest of the car, especially in the back seat when extra cargo room isn't needed (most of the time) and the seats can go all the way back. Its got a nice, compliant ride and feels nimble. Has a much more premium feel than anything else in its range.

Sporty high-end feel
By martygardner on 03/21/14 01:45 AM (PDT)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had the Tiguan for about two months now and am happy with the purchase. Coming from a Camry, the taller height and tighter feel are welcomed. The build quality and cabin design are excellent, and the pickup is great, especially in Sport shift mode. I do find that the tighter feel can create a bumpy ride on rough roads. I don't have enough experience with other sporty cars to know if this is just what you get, or if it's unique to the VW. It's not enough to outweigh the pluses, but I notice it.

Feels very premium and is fun to drive
By lgt5 on 01/19/14 09:25 AM (PST)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a 2014 Tiguan SEL 4motion and it is the best car I have owned to date. I have owned other crossovers such as the Nissan Rogue and the Mazda CX-5 and they cannot compare to my Tiguan. The Tiguan's engine is really quiet and smooth and works really well with the transmission. I leave the car in sport mode most of the time and acceleration is quick. The new upgraded Fender stereo is amazing. One of my biggest issues with my Mazda CX-5 that I traded in for this car was the terrible stereo. This stereo is truly a premium stereo with perfect surround sound. The inside of the car has a very premium feel, the seats are very comfortable with excellent lumbar support.

Expensive but worth it
By emotionalrat15 on 11/21/13 13:59 PM (PST)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought our 2014 Tiguan R-Line and love it! The rear cargo room is a bit small and I was super nervous about rear leg room if the trunk was that small but it was more roomy than a 2014 Escape! I was amazed! Leather seats are comfy and the memory seats are great too! Off the line, there is about a full second of turbo lag but after that, it's gone. Engine sounds throaty and has a great exhaust note. We got 19mpg on mainly hwy driving which was disappointing but it's -10 where I live and I do accelerate hard on occasion, it also doesnt help that its not broken in! Paying 40 grand is a lot especially when it doesnt have a backup camera or sat/nav(extra options) but still a fantastic CUV

Happy New Owner
By german_car_guy on 11/03/13 13:32 PM (PST)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Appearance (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2014 Tiguan SE only about 10 days ago but first impressions overall are favorable. The car feels much bigger on the inside while driving it than it does from the outside. It is quiet, smooth, has plenty of power, and handles well.

Very nice but too small
By frenchguy007 on 10/04/13 20:38 PM (PDT)

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great SUV but the cargo space is quite lacking compared to the competition (50% less space!). The wheelbase also makes for a choppy ride on rougher roads. Wish that VW would make the Tiguan longer so that it would give a more comfortable ride (both in interior space and road manners).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan in VA is:

$134 per month*