2014 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

1st VW and very Pleased
By tommyg1814

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Appearance (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love this vehicle all around its true Volkswagen thinks of everything. I don't feel or hear this engine vibration so not concerned at all. Ride and build quality is superior to anything else we have owned. will it hold up to the test of time? we will see so far 16.000 miles and like new Very happy.

Favorite Features

Ride and build quality steering is spot on wit feel and feedback and the seats are very comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Black and lite tan interior Door Sills and kick panels need to be black and not tan also door handles on inside should be black.

Nice except for annoying engine vibration
By albedo

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my Tiguan for just over a year. It's a nice car in many respects, and is more stylish and peppy than its competitors. The main problem is that, at certain speeds, the engine vibrates and causes an irritating, moaning noise. VW told me there is no solution because they program the automatic transmission to run at low RPMs as a way to improve fuel mileage. It's annoying enough that I really don't enjoy driving the car and will probably trade it in for something else.

Irritating Vibration
By albedo

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Prospective Tiguan buyers should use caution. It's sexy and fun to drive in many respects, but the transmission software is horrid and causes the engine to lug and emit an irritating, low frequency vibration noise. It's benign enough during the test drive, but 6 months later and I was pulling my hair out. VW refuses to admit it's a problem. Why? VW has been losing the fuel mileage battle and the best they can offer is to program the transmission to run at the lowest possible RPMs. My car is a 2013, but the same issues continue in later models. Customer feedback to VW has been largely ignored. They seem to be more interested in attracting new buyers than making existing customers happy.

Didn't last long before trouble prevailed!
By ogopogo

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought 2014 Tiguan in May. Have driven 9700 km in 3 mos., mostly hwy driving. Previous 3 yrs drove a JEEP Grand Cherokee Overlander. Disliked it lagged when speeding up to pass a car. My 2004 Toyota 4-Runner had awesome pickup! Tiguan's has good pickup. I drive 13 hrs, & found I couldn't stretch my legs, so my left knee would stiffen & bother me. Putting my seat back, made me too far away. I'm 5'3". Vehicle went in for oil change Aug 6. It drove perfectly prior; after it shakes like I'm driving in an earthquake at 80 km/hr and gets worse by 100 km/hr (60mi/hr). It feels dangerous to drive now. Taking it back in Monday morning to rectify whatever is the problem.

Favorite Features

The stereo sounds great. It is quiet to drive, and has good pickup when needed. It is compact for easy parking. The gas mileage is pretty good. Being a turbo it takes premium. It handles well.

Suggested Improvements

It has the worst navigation system! I press 'new address' & the last address comes up. I press every button a myriad of times trying to change it. If I'm eventually successful, I have no clue what I did to allow me to put in a new address. So each time I go thru the same frustrating process. Don't pay for their navigation. My son has a Golf TDI & uses his portable TomTom. Volkswagen serviceman told me the system was from Germany, and already 4 yrs old & outdated. He told me to use my cell phone! Starting 1st wk my radio randomly quits. I have to turn my vehicle off and restart to get it going again. May need a new radio I'm told. It's all on warranty. Leasing vehicle, I usually buy.

Three items that are not state-of the art
By vwaudi

2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The VW Tiguan drives and handles very well. The whole family loves it. I would surely buy it again.

Suggested Improvements

I now own the car for 9 months and drove around 7k miles and there are three "issues" I have experienced. 1. The rear view camera provides poor brightness. images. Ford's rear view camera system is MUCH better. 2. Keyless access does not always work properly. 3. Making handsfree calls using the VW Bluetooth system is pretty much impossible. It seems the microphone is of poor design so it is super hard to be understood (streaming music from smart phones works great).