2013 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Review: Best Volkswagen Yet

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Review

Best Volkswagen Yet
By erikn206 on

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my third and favorite Volkswagen. My first was a '95 Jetta, then a '07 4Motion Passat Wagon, and now this 2013 Tiguan. The interior is well laid out and comfy. The giant sunroof is just cool. This small crossover SUV has some trade-offs with my previous wagon. It's tallness makes it easier to maneuver in the city, but it's smallness means it doesn't feel as solid and smooth over the studded tire ruts on the freeway. After two longer highway trips I'm used to it and wouldn't go back. The transmission holds a low gear when you crest steep hills. It's a little noisy and strange at first, but works well to keep the car from accelerating rapidly at the crest of the hill.

The Tiguan has a giant sunroof, great visibility, quick acceleration, very easy to park, versatile rear seat folding options, all-wheel drive, and a fit and finish that far exceeds the Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5.

I'd love a TDI diesel engine, auto engine shutoff, and any other better-for-the-environment technology. Darker tint on the windows and a darker sunshade on the sunroof. Add park distance beepers, LED tail lights, and auto brake hold for stop-and-go traffic. Motorized tailgate. Have the mirrors fold on their own when you lock the car. Apple Siri integration into the Bluetooth.