Used 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

There is a reason I named her Nyx...
By fieryimpassion

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I live in 4 seasons country and I have now converted to 4motion as a way of life. Driving to work everyday on poorly plowed roads allows me to do circles around other SUVs and I pushed my car hard to get to work on time and have yet to spin out. I am not a professional driver but I have driven a lot across the country many times and my car has yet to fail, sputter, or slight in any form of performance. She takes what gets thrown at her with a determined grin. The turbo-charged engine makes easy work of green lights and passing cars on the freeway. Mileage has been about 24/25mpg steadily and I have yet to have a major repair going on 1.5 years/ 11000+ miles. Miles are too easy.

Favorite Features

I used to drive along the freeway every day and with the panoramic sunroof I could watch airplanes land above me onto the airport. Nothing like it, especially in the heat of summer. Although 4motion is my favorite feature, the overall adaptability/utility of this car is what makes me proud. 4 adults fit beyond comfortably. As far as cargo space, I have fit a cubic yard worth of mulch bags in the rear area without a lack in braking or performance. Everything is done with thought, including the shape of the doors so that they scoop in on the outside which has help prevented many dings and scratches in parking lots with tight fits. Never let it be said that German Engineers slack.

Suggested Improvements

You get what you pay for and even though the lease payments I have make me cringe when due when I drive it I am reminded how every penny is wisely spent. If I am going to drive, I am going to have fun doing it, and I am going to be confident in my car's ability to keep me safe. While it would be nice if the diesel engine finally made its way to American shores in a Tiguan body to squeeze more mpg with equal torque, I will gladly pay more at the pump to avoid and out-navigate the slow and stupid and watch them gaze jealously at my vehicle as I pass them by.

Love this VW
By jas0903

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I test drove everything from Kia to Mercedes before buying the Tiguan, and this was a stand out vehicle from them all. The solid build quality, quiet cabin and quick turbo engine sold me on this one. It has a "fun to drive" factor that most small suv's do not. There is plenty of cabin room even in the back seat which slides forward and back and/or lays flat for more cargo room. If it weren't for the height and extra room you would think you were driving a GTI. Very sporty, quick and fun! Overall thrilled with my purchase!

Favorite Features

The 2.0 turbo has great pickup Beautiful finish on the interior Solid build quality Quiet cabin

Suggested Improvements

Day/night auto dimming mirror is something I miss having. Also the headlights should turn off by themselves, but must be turned off manually. Otherwise, Love it!!!!

Best Volkswagen Yet
By erikn206

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my third and favorite Volkswagen. My first was a '95 Jetta, then a '07 4Motion Passat Wagon, and now this 2013 Tiguan. The interior is well laid out and comfy. The giant sunroof is just cool. This small crossover SUV has some trade-offs with my previous wagon. It's tallness makes it easier to maneuver in the city, but it's smallness means it doesn't feel as solid and smooth over the studded tire ruts on the freeway. After two longer highway trips I'm used to it and wouldn't go back. The transmission holds a low gear when you crest steep hills. It's a little noisy and strange at first, but works well to keep the car from accelerating rapidly at the crest of the hill.

Favorite Features

The Tiguan has a giant sunroof, great visibility, quick acceleration, very easy to park, versatile rear seat folding options, all-wheel drive, and a fit and finish that far exceeds the Subaru Forester or Mazda CX-5.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love a TDI diesel engine, auto engine shutoff, and any other better-for-the-environment technology. Darker tint on the windows and a darker sunshade on the sunroof. Add park distance beepers, LED tail lights, and auto brake hold for stop-and-go traffic. Motorized tailgate. Have the mirrors fold on their own when you lock the car. Apple Siri integration into the Bluetooth.

Love The Tiguan
By roger8989

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Lots of power,Drives positive like a sports car,went on a trip using premium fuel 31mpg hiway Chilliwack Volkswagon(keith) gave me a great deal and there are quite a few other Tiguans around now so I assume others have had a great deal also! I talked to someone complaining about lugging but it is supposed to keep it in the highest gear possible to keep the RPM's down to save fuel (it is doing what it is supposed to do lol!)

Suggested Improvements

I wish they put a Diesel engine in it i probably would have bought one! More cargo room would be nice

2013 VW Tiguan
By lgpod

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my 2013 VW Tiguan S. It's build with quality, and great design on both the exterior and interior. With the manuel 6 speed transmission, the pick up and handling are excellent, which makes having to use premium gas much less painful. The engine is extremely quite and very responsive. Cargo room could be a bit more generous. Overall a great vehicle!

Favorite Features

My favorite features are excellent pick up and handling, as well a smooth shifting manuel 6 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More cargo room.