Used 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

There is a reason I named her Nyx...
By fieryimpassion

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I live in 4 seasons country and I have now converted to 4motion as a way of life. Driving to work everyday on poorly plowed roads allows me to do circles around other SUVs and I pushed my car hard to get to work on time and have yet to spin out. I am not a professional driver but I have driven a lot across the country many times and my car has yet to fail, sputter, or slight in any form of performance. She takes what gets thrown at her with a determined grin. The turbo-charged engine makes easy work of green lights and passing cars on the freeway. Mileage has been about 24/25mpg steadily and I have yet to have a major repair going on 1.5 years/ 11000+ miles. Miles are too easy.

Favorite Features

I used to drive along the freeway every day and with the panoramic sunroof I could watch airplanes land above me onto the airport. Nothing like it, especially in the heat of summer. Although 4motion is my favorite feature, the overall adaptability/utility of this car is what makes me proud. 4 adults fit beyond comfortably. As far as cargo space, I have fit a cubic yard worth of mulch bags in the rear area without a lack in braking or performance. Everything is done with thought, including the shape of the doors so that they scoop in on the outside which has help prevented many dings and scratches in parking lots with tight fits. Never let it be said that German Engineers slack.

Suggested Improvements

You get what you pay for and even though the lease payments I have make me cringe when due when I drive it I am reminded how every penny is wisely spent. If I am going to drive, I am going to have fun doing it, and I am going to be confident in my car's ability to keep me safe. While it would be nice if the diesel engine finally made its way to American shores in a Tiguan body to squeeze more mpg with equal torque, I will gladly pay more at the pump to avoid and out-navigate the slow and stupid and watch them gaze jealously at my vehicle as I pass them by.

Love this VW
By jas0903

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I test drove everything from Kia to Mercedes before buying the Tiguan, and this was a stand out vehicle from them all. The solid build quality, quiet cabin and quick turbo engine sold me on this one. It has a "fun to drive" factor that most small suv's do not. There is plenty of cabin room even in the back seat which slides forward and back and/or lays flat for more cargo room. If it weren't for the height and extra room you would think you were driving a GTI. Very sporty, quick and fun! Overall thrilled with my purchase!

Favorite Features

The 2.0 turbo has great pickup Beautiful finish on the interior Solid build quality Quiet cabin

Suggested Improvements

Day/night auto dimming mirror is something I miss having. Also the headlights should turn off by themselves, but must be turned off manually. Otherwise, Love it!!!!

Nice Car but Under Powered
By gregw01

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my 2013 Tiguan for 2 months now and the new car shine is wearing off. The car is under powered and lacks any pep. Conversely, to another reviewers comments about the weird shifting being improved. It must have been really bad in the past because my Tiguan really shifts weird, especially on hills. The Tiguan suffers from an issue in the 4Motion control in that it cannot distinguish between a steep hill and unsafe driving conditions. The car slows down dramatically taking away acceleration control up/down on steep hills. Not a car for the mountains!

Favorite Features

Interior is very nice and polished. Really comfortable especially for a larger person.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the drive train and reliability items. (Car dies for no reason)

My GTI's Big Brother
By npsgti

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just got the '13 Tiguan S w/panoramic sunroof & mat kit for my wife and we love this car. Small CUV that handles like a sport sedan with all tried and true German automotive attributes: sophisticated & understated interior and exterior styling, satisfying performance & handling and rock solid build. After driving both the S and SE, the S is already so well equipped incl. leather wrapped multi-function steering wheel, MFD display, bluetooth etc. that we couldn't justify the extra $5k or so for leatherette and lower profile tires. Great ride, great family car, excellent lease deals to be had.

Favorite Features

2.0T engine shared with the GTI i.e. a power train that is a cut above the competition, excellent handling and composed road manners, comfortable, plush ride and upscale interior. Panoramic Audi-like sunroof, 6 speed Automatic Tiptronic transmission w/Manual mode, steering wheel, etc.

Suggested Improvements

None. People say this car is too expensive compared to the competition but like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Pay less and get something cheap, pay a little more and get something good. VW continues to lead the way in stylish, rewarding 'driver's cars'. If you don't care about driving or cars and are content to drive an appliance car day in and day out (Rav4, CRV, etc. i.e. washing machine on wheels), then don't buy a Tiguan. If you want something more, go VW>

Pretty to Look at - Not fun to drive
By gennac

2013 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The interior is very comfortable with great features. Performance lags -- down right awful on hot summer day w/AC on. Not only does it guzzle down a lot more gas - expensive premium gas I may add but it becomes erratic when idling or in traffic. Try taking your foot off the brake when in traffic with the ac on and watch your car lurch forward without giving it gas. Not to mention the sound it makes while your foot is on the brake while the engine sounds like a helicopter hovering overhead.

Suggested Improvements

Fix issues w/AC compressor and impact on engine.