2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Review: 2012 Tiguan Transmission Defec

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Review

SE 4Motion 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic)

2012 Tiguan Transmission Defect
By autogal1 on

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a new 2012 VW Tiguan SE 4 Motion Automatic and in Drive (D) traveling about 25-34 mph the transmission stays in a high gear (5th) and makes a vibrating hum and shake.The transmission will not drop back to 2nd, 3rd or 4th at this speed and is overloaded in 5th.When I give it some gas it hums, lags and shakes more. After applying extra gas it abruptly downshifts lunging the car forward in a jerky fashion.I notified the dealer twice about this issue. The service rep told me the car is in itís Adaptive Learning phase and will work this problem out after I drive it for awhile. After 3000 miles the Tiguan transmission has not adjusted as the dealer indicated.

The interior is comfortable and beautiful. It is also a great car for tall people.

I believe VW Corporate should recall the Tiguan and replace it's substantially defective transmission. I plan on getting rid of my Tiguan and switching to a Subaru or Honda. VW quality is not what it used to be.
By 1ptbijou
on 02/27/14 10:43 AM (PST)

I had the same problem with the transmission the software update did help but not by much.

By eng130
on 09/29/12 23:30 PM (PDT)

Autogal1, Ask your VW dealer about the following update: The Tech Bulletin number is: 1-12-13, the transaction number on the bulletin is 2029206. The description is of the bulletin is: Slight hesitation and or driving noise at low speeds in high gear. This will fix the problem as I have read many people are satisfied again after the update. CK