Love the car, hate the MPG!
By glassdish on
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Purchased the Tiguan because my elderly dad was finding the Jetta too low, so we decided to get a compact SUV. We love the VW's European styling and handling. My 2010 Jetta got about 20 MPG combined. Based on sticker I expected that I would get at least 20 maybe 21 MPG combined with the Tiguan, the dealer kept telling me after 'break in' period I would get better mileage, well it has been about 6000 miles, so is it broken in??? I like the car but if knew i was only going to get 18 MPG I would have purchased the CRV, Mazda, or any of the others. They are all fine.
Favorite Features
- Comfortable - Smooth Ride - Simple interior design - Easy to park
Suggested Improvements
- Back up camera should be standard equipment. - Offer a diesel version, gas engine is so inefficient - better yet offer an electric or hybrid. - Cargo space is very limited. - When in reverse there should be audio indicator.
By chemgeek
on 09/18/13 13:54 PM (PDT)

Hi Glassdish! I was feeling the same way that you were when I bought mine. Early on I felt like I was stuck at about 20-22 mpg but I also did a lot of city driving and I found it difficult staying out of the throttle (it is waaayyy too much fun). As I approached 15,000 miles my mpgs were coming up nicely. When I first got the vehicle (bought new) I couldn't even get above 24 on the highway and now I can get about 28-29 on the highway which actually exceeds what the sticker said. I feel your pain moving from the Jetta (but mine was an older TDI that got 50 mpg consistently). It does get better, hang in there!