Poor Transmission
By vwmaine on
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Love the Tiguan’s concept and design. It’s beautifully styled, very comfortable with nice positions of the steering column and instrumentation. Seats are exceptionally comfortable. What I am deeply disappointed in is the drive and its transmission. At lower speeds, it seems as if the engine is going to stall. It makes a terrible noise, and sort of kicks back a little. I have had it in for service now twice. Initially to have the transmission reset. Second service was to replace both fuel pumps. None of the VW fixes have resolved the problem. Very disappointed in VW, wish they would get it fixed quickly otherwise I may leave the VW brand. Anyone else having similar concerns?
Favorite Features
Navigation, HD Radio and instrument panel. Love the heated seats.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the transmission - it is terrible and makes you dislike the quality and drive of the 2012 Tiguan.
By jxenon
on 05/31/12 20:07 PM (PDT)

An software update for the transmission has been issued. Ask your VW dealer about the following update: The Tech Bulletin number is: 1-12-13, the transaction number on the bulletin is 2029206. The description is of the bulletin is: Slight hesitation and or driving noise at low speeds in high gear

By 1ptbijou
on 06/20/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

Local dealer emailed me to say that they had one tiguan with the transmission updated. Wife and I test drove and the transmission was greatly improved. We bought the Tiguan. For those of you who bought the 2012 Tiguan, make a complaint to your dealer and they will update the transmission mapping for you.

By 1ptbijou
on 05/10/12 12:07 PM (PDT)

My wife and I test drove the tiguan and we found the same problem with the transmission. At 45 the transmission shift to 6th gear to save on fuel and then the motor start lugging. That's wat cause the noise. The solution I found was to put the transmission in "SPORT" mode and that took care of it. I am not an engineer but one would think that the computer would keep the transmission in 5th until the car reaches higher speed.

By 1ptbijou
on 06/13/12 12:07 PM (PDT)

OK a transmission software update has been issued but the 8 Tiguans in the dealers's yard had the problem so do you put 40k dollar on a car that needs an update before or should the dealers have at least one with the update so that I can tried it. I fear the update could be a compromise????????