2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Review: Impressed With My First SUV

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Review

Impressed With My First SUV
By twelvecrows on

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was a Volvo C30 owner and decided that I wanted to see what was going on around me while driving: It was just too low. I decided to replace it with a SUV. The XC60 was too expensive, and the CRV was too dull. I decided on the Tiguan, even though Edmunds lists the Total Cost of Ownership quite high. As to the car's quality feel, the other reviewers are spot-on. I am liking the car more and more each day. But... The transmission races to get the car into sixth gear as quickie as possible in order to save fuel at the expense of smooth, linear acceleration. This is somewhat remedied by using sport mode but at the cost of greater fuel consumption. I wish VW had sought the middle road.

The Tiguan's best feature is it's quality feel. I considered a Volvo XC60 to replace my 2010 C30, but feel that the VW actually feels like a higher quality automobile. As far as specific features go, I have to echo other reviewers' love for the sunroof.

Improve the transmission in standard Drive mode. It needs to be more linear. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible and doesn't ruin the driving experience, but it could shift between gears more smoothly. This prevents the Tiguan from getting five stars--relegating it to "only" four stars. ;-)
By 1ptbijou
on 06/13/12 12:16 PM (PDT)

I went to the local dealer this morning and test drove the Tiguan for the third time . In the sport mode at 50, the engine is at 3000 rpm and wont shift up. Driving at the speed limit of 50mpg at 3000 rpm is not fun so I shifted to D and the lugging started so back to Sports and engine revs too high. Other than this it is a great suv but I decided to try a 2013 in the fall.