2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Review: 2012 Tiguan exceeds my expecta

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Review

2012 Tiguan exceeds my expectations
By bill95gl on

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned VWs for over forty years and never really liked the Tiguan. I saw it as a too-small overweight, overpriced, gas-wasting SUV. However, my wife has always wanted a Tiguan and when a used 2012 white Tiguan SE with nav, pano roof and 6K miles showed up at a nearby Mazda Hyundai dealer, we traded her 2007 Passat 2.0T in on it. I'll have to admit that I'm really impressed with the Tiguan. It's much quieter and has a much smoother ride than the Passat. It handles well, has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive. The automatic transmission has no problems...however, I think the transmission programming was fixed before we bought the Tiguan.

My favorite features include the understated but quality interior, the sleek, moderately edgy exterior styling and the overall performance and driveability. And it's a lot more roomy than I anticipated. I drive a MKV GTI and despite what others have said, the Tiguan is no GTI but it does handle very well. And although this is heresy to some, it will run just fine on 87 octane (read the owner's manual). Also search the web for "GTI: the effect of octane on its power." They found very little difference in TSI torque or HP between 87 and 91 octane, especially at lower rpms where the Tiguan spends most of its life.

Give us a diesel. Every other country gets a TDI Tiguan but not the US. VW's world diesel isn't clean enough for the US. Apparently, the Tiguan is too heavy for the Golf/Jetta clean diesel system and it's too small to fit a 5 gallon urea tank in it to use the Bluetech system (Passat). So we're not likely to see a diesel in the current Tiguan. DSG would be nice if it could handle the weight. Genuine VW carpeted floor mats really improve the character and "coziness" of the Tiguan IMO. I bought a set at a reasonable price on a well-know internet auction site and ditched the rubber mats that made the Tiguan floor feel like an econocar. Carpeted mats should be standard in such a nice vehicle.