Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Fantastic Upgrade from Manual Economy car
By nrg921

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in need of something with more cargo space & towing capacity, but could still be an everyday commuter. I liked the control of manual transmission vehicle, and it was VERY hard to give that up. I found the Tiguan to have far superior handling, power, and responsiveness (when I compared to other CUVs) that I was willing to give up my manual . I still feel in control. It has the extra cargo space & towing I was looking for, fun and easy to drive on a daily basis, and the luxury interior I didn't know I wanted until I have & love it! With a good pair of winter tires, front wheel drive is all you need. Drives great in WI winters & MO ice storms!

Favorite Features

Panoramic sunroof, heated seats (although I would actually have prefered cloth for warm summer comfort), acceleration power, easy to park, driving feels like the small economy sporty-er cars I was use to. Great cross between utility and class. Easy to read & use dash displays.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth seats & manual transmission on the "upgraded" packages (aka, my same vehicle with cloth & stick). Not need premium gas.

2012 Tiguan exceeds my expectations
By bill95gl

I've owned VWs for over forty years and never really liked the Tiguan. I saw it as a too-small overweight, overpriced, gas-wasting SUV. However, my wife has always wanted a Tiguan and when a used 2012 white Tiguan SE with nav, pano roof and 6K miles showed up at a nearby Mazda Hyundai dealer, we traded her 2007 Passat 2.0T in on it. I'll have to admit that I'm really impressed with the Tiguan. It's much quieter and has a much smoother ride than the Passat. It handles well, has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive. The automatic transmission has no problems...however, I think the transmission programming was fixed before we bought the Tiguan.

Favorite Features

My favorite features include the understated but quality interior, the sleek, moderately edgy exterior styling and the overall performance and driveability. And it's a lot more roomy than I anticipated. I drive a MKV GTI and despite what others have said, the Tiguan is no GTI but it does handle very well. And although this is heresy to some, it will run just fine on 87 octane (read the owner's manual). Also search the web for "GTI: the effect of octane on its power." They found very little difference in TSI torque or HP between 87 and 91 octane, especially at lower rpms where the Tiguan spends most of its life.

Suggested Improvements

Give us a diesel. Every other country gets a TDI Tiguan but not the US. VW's world diesel isn't clean enough for the US. Apparently, the Tiguan is too heavy for the Golf/Jetta clean diesel system and it's too small to fit a 5 gallon urea tank in it to use the Bluetech system (Passat). So we're not likely to see a diesel in the current Tiguan. DSG would be nice if it could handle the weight. Genuine VW carpeted floor mats really improve the character and "coziness" of the Tiguan IMO. I bought a set at a reasonable price on a well-know internet auction site and ditched the rubber mats that made the Tiguan floor feel like an econocar. Carpeted mats should be standard in such a nice vehicle.

Poor Transmission
By vwmaine

Love the Tiguanís concept and design. Itís beautifully styled, very comfortable with nice positions of the steering column and instrumentation. Seats are exceptionally comfortable. What I am deeply disappointed in is the drive and its transmission. At lower speeds, it seems as if the engine is going to stall. It makes a terrible noise, and sort of kicks back a little. I have had it in for service now twice. Initially to have the transmission reset. Second service was to replace both fuel pumps. None of the VW fixes have resolved the problem. Very disappointed in VW, wish they would get it fixed quickly otherwise I may leave the VW brand. Anyone else having similar concerns?

Favorite Features

Navigation, HD Radio and instrument panel. Love the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission - it is terrible and makes you dislike the quality and drive of the 2012 Tiguan.

awesome 2012 tiguan
By happytig1

the 2012 tiguan (mine an se with sunroof and nav) puts a smile on my face each time i drive it. with over 1,000 miles put on, it has already achieved the 27 mpg rating on the sticker. yes, it is recommended to use 91 premium unleaded. between wanting an audi A3 and the european passat wagon, somehow, the tiguan offered me a blend of the best of both worlds. refinement and creature comforts of both, newly freshened look which is quite handsome, and 3 yr/36K miles carefree maintenance. for some reason, my tiguan does not shake, rattle, or lug. the adaptive transmission quickly learns how to drive the way you want to drive. definitely quieter than the 2012 and 2011 honda crv. love this car.

Favorite Features

navigation system, heated seats, large sunroof, ease of rear seat adjustment to expand cargo space, partial electric driver's seat, cooling glove box, included cable for iPod and iPhone charger, bluetooth, one-tap lane change indicator, one-tap winshield wiper action, cool little fuel cap holder, amazing cold and heating action from AC, tiptronic transmission, fuel efficient programming of transimission, immediate accelaration response when required, lots of cupholders and 2 integrated bottle holders in front doors, multi-function steering wheel, mutli-function system information, great braking

Suggested Improvements

none

Great, except for the transmission
By jxenon

This is a great car, however, the programming of the automatic transmission is horrible! To achieve high MPG, the transmission shifts to 6th gear around 35 or 40 mph! The result is very low RPM and engine noise. This happens in D mode. Going to S mode is not a solution since then, the shifting point is around 3000 RPM which is then too high. So hopefully VW of North America addresses this and does a reprogramming of the transmission.

Favorite Features

Built quality! Fun to drive except for the transmission problem mentioned above.

Suggested Improvements

VW of North America! Please provide a reprogramming of the automatic transmission! I love this car except for the horrible transmission!