2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Fantastic Upgrade from Manual Economy car
By nrg921 on 05/02/14 13:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in need of something with more cargo space & towing capacity, but could still be an everyday commuter. I liked the control of manual transmission vehicle, and it was VERY hard to give that up. I found the Tiguan to have far superior handling, power, and responsiveness (when I compared to other CUVs) that I was willing to give up my manual . I still feel in control. It has the extra cargo space & towing I was looking for, fun and easy to drive on a daily basis, and the luxury interior I didn't know I wanted until I have & love it! With a good pair of winter tires, front wheel drive is all you need. Drives great in WI winters & MO ice storms!

2012 Tiguan exceeds my expectations
By bill95gl on 02/14/13 18:04 PM (PST)

I've owned VWs for over forty years and never really liked the Tiguan. I saw it as a too-small overweight, overpriced, gas-wasting SUV. However, my wife has always wanted a Tiguan and when a used 2012 white Tiguan SE with nav, pano roof and 6K miles showed up at a nearby Mazda Hyundai dealer, we traded her 2007 Passat 2.0T in on it. I'll have to admit that I'm really impressed with the Tiguan. It's much quieter and has a much smoother ride than the Passat. It handles well, has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive. The automatic transmission has no problems...however, I think the transmission programming was fixed before we bought the Tiguan.

Poor Transmission
By vwmaine on 04/18/12 17:46 PM (PDT)

Love the Tiguan’s concept and design. It’s beautifully styled, very comfortable with nice positions of the steering column and instrumentation. Seats are exceptionally comfortable. What I am deeply disappointed in is the drive and its transmission. At lower speeds, it seems as if the engine is going to stall. It makes a terrible noise, and sort of kicks back a little. I have had it in for service now twice. Initially to have the transmission reset. Second service was to replace both fuel pumps. None of the VW fixes have resolved the problem. Very disappointed in VW, wish they would get it fixed quickly otherwise I may leave the VW brand. Anyone else having similar concerns?

awesome 2012 tiguan
By happytig1 on 03/29/12 13:25 PM (PDT)

the 2012 tiguan (mine an se with sunroof and nav) puts a smile on my face each time i drive it. with over 1,000 miles put on, it has already achieved the 27 mpg rating on the sticker. yes, it is recommended to use 91 premium unleaded. between wanting an audi A3 and the european passat wagon, somehow, the tiguan offered me a blend of the best of both worlds. refinement and creature comforts of both, newly freshened look which is quite handsome, and 3 yr/36K miles carefree maintenance. for some reason, my tiguan does not shake, rattle, or lug. the adaptive transmission quickly learns how to drive the way you want to drive. definitely quieter than the 2012 and 2011 honda crv. love this car.

Great, except for the transmission
By jxenon on 02/21/12 12:38 PM (PST)

This is a great car, however, the programming of the automatic transmission is horrible! To achieve high MPG, the transmission shifts to 6th gear around 35 or 40 mph! The result is very low RPM and engine noise. This happens in D mode. Going to S mode is not a solution since then, the shifting point is around 3000 RPM which is then too high. So hopefully VW of North America addresses this and does a reprogramming of the transmission.

Impressed With My First SUV
By twelvecrows on 02/03/12 20:18 PM (PST)

I was a Volvo C30 owner and decided that I wanted to see what was going on around me while driving: It was just too low. I decided to replace it with a SUV. The XC60 was too expensive, and the CRV was too dull. I decided on the Tiguan, even though Edmunds lists the Total Cost of Ownership quite high. As to the car's quality feel, the other reviewers are spot-on. I am liking the car more and more each day. But... The transmission races to get the car into sixth gear as quickie as possible in order to save fuel at the expense of smooth, linear acceleration. This is somewhat remedied by using sport mode but at the cost of greater fuel consumption. I wish VW had sought the middle road.

LOVE IT!
By davidlm3 on 10/22/11 03:17 AM (PDT)

Purchased the 2012 Tiguan after seeing it at the dealer. It looks great and the interior is "Audi-esque". The radio and nav system are very cool. The interior is top notch. It drives very well and is smooth over bumps and ruts. It has very good acceleration and handles like a sporty car. Averaging 27.8 mpg combined according to the Tiguan's computer. Would definitely purchase another one. The only thing I would change is offering the LED/Xenon headlights on the SE model as a option.

2012 Tiguan - Early Signs All Very Positive
By gobuffs2 on 09/15/11 04:31 AM (PDT)

Purchased this SE model with FWD after about 5 months on the car hunt. AWD not necessary IMO & saved $2K. Looked at Hyundai, Nissan, Ford, Toyota even Audi & Merc. Benz. The car has good zip, the turbo kicks in when asked, and it rides smooth - suspension can feel a bit stiff though, so you feel some road bumps. Fit and finish are outstanding as are the ergonomics. It is very fun to drive, the navigation and audio package is very nice - IMO, no need to bump up to the next level of audio or trim. The leather-ette interior is very nice; most people think it to be real leather and I like the idea that it will clean up easier since I haul kids. Overall, very very pleased so far.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$134 per month*