Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

One year and 20k mile Tiguan SE Review
By miless

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2012 Tiguan SE late in 2012 as a leftover with 0% financing. I now have driven it for one year and just over 20,000 miles and still love it.

I traded in a Jetta TDI because I wanted to go back to AWD. I am averaging about 25 mpg on the Tiguan, with the majority on highways. Better than I expected. Can get 30 mpg on highway if you work at it.

Very comfortable seats and smooth ride. Handles well for a small SUV but don't expect golf-like handling.

Has decent power, once the turbo gets going. The transmission does shift a lot as others have said. Brakes are great. Love the sound system including Sirius and iPod.

Very few issues and free VW service for 36k

Very comfortable seats, and easy to hop in and out. The step-in height is perfect. Great visibility VW build quality inside and out Lots of small storage bins, especially when you don't opt for the sunroof. Love the simple dash layout Simple but effective touch screen radio with Sirius and iPod interface. Also has a media card slot. Great in rain and snow Auto up/down on all windows Heated seats work great

Biggest problem is lack of cargo space in rear. Can't fit golf clubs unless I put one of the rear seats down. Much smaller than it should be looking at the vehicle. Then again the rear seat is roomy so... DSG transmission Where is the TDI? SE should have auto climate control Should have auto dimming rear view mirror

Love the car, hate the MPG!
By glassdish

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased the Tiguan because my elderly dad was finding the Jetta too low, so we decided to get a compact SUV.
We love the VW's European styling and handling.
My 2010 Jetta got about 20 MPG combined.
Based on sticker
I expected that I would get at least 20 maybe 21 MPG combined with the Tiguan, the dealer kept telling me after 'break in' period I would get better mileage, well it has been about 6000 miles, so is it broken in???
I like the car but if knew i was only going to get 18 MPG I would have purchased the CRV, Mazda, or any of the others.
They are all fine.

- Comfortable - Smooth Ride - Simple interior design - Easy to park

- Back up camera should be standard equipment. - Offer a diesel version, gas engine is so inefficient - better yet offer an electric or hybrid. - Cargo space is very limited. - When in reverse there should be audio indicator.

Love it now time will tell
By tiguan2012

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just picked up our 2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion yesterday so clearly too soon to tell but so far we love it.
The end of model year incentive made the deal quite attractive, we figured the 4motion-SE would be good for resale when the time comes. The ride is very smooth.
Took test drives in the CR-V, Mazda CX5, Hyundai Santa Fe/Tuscon, Kia Sportage and Ford Escape.
Any of them would be fine, but we just liked the styling and European ride of the Tiguan.

2nd choice would have been
the Sportage.

Love the smooth ride, heated seats, nice simple interior design. At first did not want black (which was all we could get), but the black metallic with chrome trim looks great.

VW needs to add a TDI to the Tiguan lineup. Not happy with their lack of fuel economy, that was almost a dealbreaker. Backup camera should be standard on all models, they also need to step up their reliability. I have to say we have had no problems with our VW's but it has only been a couple of years (we also have a Sportwagen TDI.)

2012 Tiguan Transmission Defect
By autogal1

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a new 2012 VW Tiguan SE 4 Motion Automatic and in Drive (D) traveling about 25-34 mph the transmission stays in a high gear (5th) and makes a vibrating hum and shake.The transmission will not drop back to 2nd, 3rd or 4th at this speed and is overloaded in 5th.When I give it some gas it hums, lags and shakes more. After applying extra gas it abruptly downshifts lunging the car forward in a jerky fashion.I notified the dealer twice about this issue. The service rep told me the car is in itÂ’s Adaptive Learning phase and will work this problem out after I drive it for awhile. After 3000 miles the Tiguan transmission has not adjusted as the dealer indicated.

The interior is comfortable and beautiful. It is also a great car for tall people.

I believe VW Corporate should recall the Tiguan and replace it's substantially defective transmission. I plan on getting rid of my Tiguan and switching to a Subaru or Honda. VW quality is not what it used to be.

Fun to Drive
By gptiguan

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Living on a mountain, I needed a SUV with four wheel drive but didn't need a big vehicle.
I test drove the gamut of small SUVs.
The Tiguan was the right size and out performed most of the cars out there I looked at.

The Tiguan is so much smoother over the bumps and quieter than my last car that it has really become a joy to drive.
I like the firm but comfortable feel of the suspension and steering.
Its a great car for traversing a mountain with its bends and curves. Once the turbo kicks in, the car has plenty of power and has lots of low-end torque. This gives it plenty of power to get up and down the hill.
I understand now why people who own VWs love driving them now. They're fun!

Cornering lights, comfortable back seats, bluetooth, smooth acceleration, new front end. I actually like my leatherette seats. I debated getting them because my last car had real leather. I'm surprised how many people can't tell they are not leather unless I tell them. I get a lot of compliments from who have ridden in my Tiguan. I think they are surprised how upscale the VW feels compared with some other cars.

More cargo. Better 4motion availablility-had to order mine from Germany. Available roof-rack is noisy-will need to get deflector eventually.