2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
One year and 20k mile Tiguan SE Review
By miless on 01/12/14 19:29 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2012 Tiguan SE late in 2012 as a leftover with 0% financing. I now have driven it for one year and just over 20,000 miles and still love it. I traded in a Jetta TDI because I wanted to go back to AWD. I am averaging about 25 mpg on the Tiguan, with the majority on highways. Better than I expected. Can get 30 mpg on highway if you work at it. Very comfortable seats and smooth ride. Handles well for a small SUV but don't expect golf-like handling. Has decent power, once the turbo gets going. The transmission does shift a lot as others have said. Brakes are great. Love the sound system including Sirius and iPod. Very few issues and free VW service for 36k

Love the car, hate the MPG!
By glassdish on 08/26/13 13:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased the Tiguan because my elderly dad was finding the Jetta too low, so we decided to get a compact SUV. We love the VW's European styling and handling. My 2010 Jetta got about 20 MPG combined. Based on sticker I expected that I would get at least 20 maybe 21 MPG combined with the Tiguan, the dealer kept telling me after 'break in' period I would get better mileage, well it has been about 6000 miles, so is it broken in??? I like the car but if knew i was only going to get 18 MPG I would have purchased the CRV, Mazda, or any of the others. They are all fine.

Love it now time will tell
By tiguan2012 on 01/20/13 21:18 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just picked up our 2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion yesterday so clearly too soon to tell but so far we love it. The end of model year incentive made the deal quite attractive, we figured the 4motion-SE would be good for resale when the time comes. The ride is very smooth. Took test drives in the CR-V, Mazda CX5, Hyundai Santa Fe/Tuscon, Kia Sportage and Ford Escape. Any of them would be fine, but we just liked the styling and European ride of the Tiguan. 2nd choice would have been the Sportage.

2012 Tiguan Transmission Defect
By autogal1 on 09/19/12 12:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a new 2012 VW Tiguan SE 4 Motion Automatic and in Drive (D) traveling about 25-34 mph the transmission stays in a high gear (5th) and makes a vibrating hum and shake.The transmission will not drop back to 2nd, 3rd or 4th at this speed and is overloaded in 5th.When I give it some gas it hums, lags and shakes more. After applying extra gas it abruptly downshifts lunging the car forward in a jerky fashion.I notified the dealer twice about this issue. The service rep told me the car is in itÂ’s Adaptive Learning phase and will work this problem out after I drive it for awhile. After 3000 miles the Tiguan transmission has not adjusted as the dealer indicated.

Fun to Drive
By gptiguan on 07/16/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Living on a mountain, I needed a SUV with four wheel drive but didn't need a big vehicle. I test drove the gamut of small SUVs. The Tiguan was the right size and out performed most of the cars out there I looked at. The Tiguan is so much smoother over the bumps and quieter than my last car that it has really become a joy to drive. I like the firm but comfortable feel of the suspension and steering. Its a great car for traversing a mountain with its bends and curves. Once the turbo kicks in, the car has plenty of power and has lots of low-end torque. This gives it plenty of power to get up and down the hill. I understand now why people who own VWs love driving them now. They're fun!

Transmission Kicks and other problems
By bob481 on 04/09/12 09:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Transmission kicks and struggles over hills. Some people have stated that the transmission smartly adjusts to each driver's particular driving style over time. I haven't found that to be true, been driving mine since November. YES, it makes a rumbling sound at 30-35mph. If you want to open ONLY the back windows while driving you cant, not without a brain-crushing noise and tremoring. Is this true of any SUV/CUV? Sound system is lacking. To my ears, there's a hollow, echo sound no matter how tweak it. And the radio, CD player, Satellite radio, and Blue-Tooth Audio Input all play at slightly different volume levels. Constantly adjusting the sound level. Ride is OK, but FAR from cushy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$127 per month*