2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Fantastic Upgrade from Manual Economy car
By nrg921 on 05/02/14 13:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in need of something with more cargo space & towing capacity, but could still be an everyday commuter. I liked the control of manual transmission vehicle, and it was VERY hard to give that up. I found the Tiguan to have far superior handling, power, and responsiveness (when I compared to other CUVs) that I was willing to give up my manual . I still feel in control. It has the extra cargo space & towing I was looking for, fun and easy to drive on a daily basis, and the luxury interior I didn't know I wanted until I have & love it! With a good pair of winter tires, front wheel drive is all you need. Drives great in WI winters & MO ice storms!

My VW Tijuan is a nightmare
By myvwnightmare on 02/26/14 19:01 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my VW Tijuan in 2012. Brand new. Right off the lot. It has been nothing but a nightmare. Some but not all of the problems: The driver door screw fell off. Yes, you heard that right. The door was hanging with one screw. The breaks fell on at least two occasions. The rest of the times the breaks are very noisy. The ABS breaks go on - by them self. The sun visor fell on my face twice. The first time while I was driving on the FWY, The second time while I was driving in my neighborhood, Scratching my face, poking me right under my eye, then my nose, then lending on my wrist. The heater is very noisy. VW blames me for all of the problems.I will write more later.

One year and 20k mile Tiguan SE Review
By miless on 01/12/14 19:29 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2012 Tiguan SE late in 2012 as a leftover with 0% financing. I now have driven it for one year and just over 20,000 miles and still love it. I traded in a Jetta TDI because I wanted to go back to AWD. I am averaging about 25 mpg on the Tiguan, with the majority on highways. Better than I expected. Can get 30 mpg on highway if you work at it. Very comfortable seats and smooth ride. Handles well for a small SUV but don't expect golf-like handling. Has decent power, once the turbo gets going. The transmission does shift a lot as others have said. Brakes are great. Love the sound system including Sirius and iPod. Very few issues and free VW service for 36k

Love the car, hate the MPG!
By glassdish on 08/26/13 13:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased the Tiguan because my elderly dad was finding the Jetta too low, so we decided to get a compact SUV. We love the VW's European styling and handling. My 2010 Jetta got about 20 MPG combined. Based on sticker I expected that I would get at least 20 maybe 21 MPG combined with the Tiguan, the dealer kept telling me after 'break in' period I would get better mileage, well it has been about 6000 miles, so is it broken in??? I like the car but if knew i was only going to get 18 MPG I would have purchased the CRV, Mazda, or any of the others. They are all fine.

Only thing good are the looks
By arnabiitr on 08/02/13 21:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

It has gr8 looks ,acceleration is very sluggish and engine makes lot of sound while picking up speed .It has a electronic gas pedal which is very sluggish and stiff .

False Advertising Adds Large Unexpected Expense
By angry17 on 06/03/13 06:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Navigation, Dynaudio, Rearview Camera (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Tiguan sales brochure advertises "Trailer Hitch Preparation". After purchasing the car, I was told it would cost $1,000 for a hitch, five times the amount charged by other manufacturers. Non-dealer cost is not less expensive because of the cost of special parts and the labor needed to remove all the interior behind the rear seat to install the part. Complaints to VW about the cost and the implication that the claim is "Trailer Hitch Prepared" fall on deaf ears. After reviewing complaints from others, I realize that VW is poor on warranty work as well. Accordingly, I will never buy a VW again despite the fact they build excellent cars.

2012 Tiguan exceeds my expectations
By bill95gl on 02/14/13 18:04 PM (PST)

I've owned VWs for over forty years and never really liked the Tiguan. I saw it as a too-small overweight, overpriced, gas-wasting SUV. However, my wife has always wanted a Tiguan and when a used 2012 white Tiguan SE with nav, pano roof and 6K miles showed up at a nearby Mazda Hyundai dealer, we traded her 2007 Passat 2.0T in on it. I'll have to admit that I'm really impressed with the Tiguan. It's much quieter and has a much smoother ride than the Passat. It handles well, has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive. The automatic transmission has no problems...however, I think the transmission programming was fixed before we bought the Tiguan.

Love it now time will tell
By tiguan2012 on 01/20/13 21:18 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just picked up our 2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion yesterday so clearly too soon to tell but so far we love it. The end of model year incentive made the deal quite attractive, we figured the 4motion-SE would be good for resale when the time comes. The ride is very smooth. Took test drives in the CR-V, Mazda CX5, Hyundai Santa Fe/Tuscon, Kia Sportage and Ford Escape. Any of them would be fine, but we just liked the styling and European ride of the Tiguan. 2nd choice would have been the Sportage.

17,000 miles on it and it could be a death trap
By duckmom on 12/27/12 11:09 AM (PST)

The first 17,000 miles were pretty easy, nothing out of the ordinary to report. Since then I have been in 4 times, once was 20,000 mile service. One time for broken media cord, one time for car stalling at low speeds and currently for an air vent on the passenger side being stuck on causing cold air to constantly flood the cabin, for stalling again at low speeds and failing to rev past 4000 rpm's, which creates a "stalling" effect on the car. This is not good when you are accelerating to get on the freeway, which is when it has happened twice to me. I am really bummed, up till recently I loved my Tiguan. Thinking I want to get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Very satisfied!
By scootyroo on 12/26/12 18:01 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I haven't owned a VW for some time, but after getting a fantastic deal on a new 2012 Tiguan (including 0% financing) and being blown away by its performance and quality, I turned around and bought a new GTI. As I had reviewed before purchasing the Tiguan, the statement "It's a GTI on steroids," is accurate. Get the base model, with the manual transmission, and you'll smile every time you think about it. We live in the mountains and still get on the throttle for fun, but we're getting 24 mpg in mixed driving. While I love the new GTI, I have to say that for an all-around family vehicle, you can't beat the Tiguan if it's the right size for you.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$134 per month*