Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Nice interior but engine performance is ok
By Tony Watanabe

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

What I like the most my Tiguan S with Full Option is the interior. Once I get in a car, it makes me feel relax and smile. Wide open sunroof is very nice. My driver seat is ok. However, on the passenger seat, my wife always complains it is not comfortable. She has a trouble adjusting the seat position. My wife often change her seat position, especially for a long drive. I taught her several times how to adjust the manual passenger seat position, which she never figure it out. Sometimes, my co-worker sits on the passenger seat, when we go out for lunch, and he/she has a trouble too. The entertainment system is poor. It does not have USB connector to play music or charge my phone. It has an old special iPhone connector with the cable, but no use. (I have an Android phone.) Engine shakes with a slow steady speed around 30 to 35 mph. Despite of 2.0L turbo, I cannot enjoy the acceleration. I heard APR offers ECU update and upgrade turbo. In order to enjoy Tiguan's acceleration, we need an aftermarket equipment. Even without any upgrade, my Tiguan suffers mpg. Overall, it is ok...

Great performance with a few trade-offs...
By Rich G

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV LE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I LOVE this car's performance, when it's in Sport mode. However, regular drive mode shift way too early and the car feels slow and at times a little jerky. The brakes are responsive, but feel like they are grinding. Twice technicians confirmed there was nothing wrong, though. It beats the heck out of the Nissan Rogue I was driving, but this car is in the shop EVERY 3,000 miles on the dot because something is always breaking. Thank goodness it's covered under warranty, but that leads me to believe my out-of-pocket costs will be sky-high once the vehicle exits the warranty period. Just bought it in April (7 months ago)with only 25,000 miles on it, and it has had every window motor replaced, a couple of them twice, and the latest issue was the cooling fan died. The 40,000 mile service costs $650 just to have the car examined and the oil changed, so I will be scoping out other options.

Great car
By wc

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have not had any problems as I have seen others report . Makes me think they bought a used one that has been in a wreck.
The Tiquan Handles very well. I have the 6 speed manual transmission and it makes it more fun for me. I think they have quit making the Tiguan with a manual transmiision in newer models now.
4 years and still running great.
Wife has the passat and she is always wanting to drive the Tiquan.

Disaster Tiguan Experience
By zahid1

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am kissing VW brand good bye. It has been 2 years with Tiguan. It reminded me of my old 15 years old Honda accord and even that had fewer service visits. I am waiting anxiously to dump the vehicle after my lease expires. I am so lucky to not own one.

VW brand needs to reevaluate its strategy on the product as well as service. May be another 5-10 yrs before that happens.

Fantastic Upgrade from Manual Economy car
By nrg921

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in need of something with more cargo space & towing capacity, but could still be an everyday commuter.
I liked the control of manual transmission vehicle, and it was VERY hard to give that up.
I found the Tiguan to have far superior handling, power, and responsiveness (when I compared to other CUVs) that I was willing to give up my manual .
I still feel in control.
It has the extra cargo space & towing I was looking for, fun and easy to drive on a daily basis, and the luxury interior I didn't know I wanted until I have & love it!
With a good pair of winter tires, front wheel drive is all you need.
Drives great in WI winters & MO ice storms!

Panoramic sunroof, heated seats (although I would actually have prefered cloth for warm summer comfort), acceleration power, easy to park, driving feels like the small economy sporty-er cars I was use to. Great cross between utility and class. Easy to read & use dash displays.

Cloth seats & manual transmission on the "upgraded" packages (aka, my same vehicle with cloth & stick). Not need premium gas.