Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Disaster Tiguan Experience
By zahid1

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am kissing VW brand good bye. It has been 2 years with Tiguan. It reminded me of my old 15 years old Honda accord and even that had fewer service visits. I am waiting anxiously to dump the vehicle after my lease expires. I am so lucky to not own one.

Suggested Improvements

VW brand needs to reevaluate its strategy on the product as well as service. May be another 5-10 yrs before that happens.

Fantastic Upgrade from Manual Economy car
By nrg921

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in need of something with more cargo space & towing capacity, but could still be an everyday commuter. I liked the control of manual transmission vehicle, and it was VERY hard to give that up. I found the Tiguan to have far superior handling, power, and responsiveness (when I compared to other CUVs) that I was willing to give up my manual . I still feel in control. It has the extra cargo space & towing I was looking for, fun and easy to drive on a daily basis, and the luxury interior I didn't know I wanted until I have & love it! With a good pair of winter tires, front wheel drive is all you need. Drives great in WI winters & MO ice storms!

Favorite Features

Panoramic sunroof, heated seats (although I would actually have prefered cloth for warm summer comfort), acceleration power, easy to park, driving feels like the small economy sporty-er cars I was use to. Great cross between utility and class. Easy to read & use dash displays.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth seats & manual transmission on the "upgraded" packages (aka, my same vehicle with cloth & stick). Not need premium gas.

My VW Tijuan is a nightmare
By myvwnightmare

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my VW Tijuan in 2012. Brand new. Right off the lot. It has been nothing but a nightmare. Some but not all of the problems: The driver door screw fell off. Yes, you heard that right. The door was hanging with one screw. The breaks fell on at least two occasions. The rest of the times the breaks are very noisy. The ABS breaks go on - by them self. The sun visor fell on my face twice. The first time while I was driving on the FWY, The second time while I was driving in my neighborhood, Scratching my face, poking me right under my eye, then my nose, then lending on my wrist. The heater is very noisy. VW blames me for all of the problems.I will write more later.

Favorite Features

None. Except getting my car cleaned by the dealership every week since I am there on a regular basis to get my car fixed.

One year and 20k mile Tiguan SE Review
By miless

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2012 Tiguan SE late in 2012 as a leftover with 0% financing. I now have driven it for one year and just over 20,000 miles and still love it. I traded in a Jetta TDI because I wanted to go back to AWD. I am averaging about 25 mpg on the Tiguan, with the majority on highways. Better than I expected. Can get 30 mpg on highway if you work at it. Very comfortable seats and smooth ride. Handles well for a small SUV but don't expect golf-like handling. Has decent power, once the turbo gets going. The transmission does shift a lot as others have said. Brakes are great. Love the sound system including Sirius and iPod. Very few issues and free VW service for 36k

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, and easy to hop in and out. The step-in height is perfect. Great visibility VW build quality inside and out Lots of small storage bins, especially when you don't opt for the sunroof. Love the simple dash layout Simple but effective touch screen radio with Sirius and iPod interface. Also has a media card slot. Great in rain and snow Auto up/down on all windows Heated seats work great

Suggested Improvements

Biggest problem is lack of cargo space in rear. Can't fit golf clubs unless I put one of the rear seats down. Much smaller than it should be looking at the vehicle. Then again the rear seat is roomy so... DSG transmission Where is the TDI? SE should have auto climate control Should have auto dimming rear view mirror

Love the car, hate the MPG!
By glassdish

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased the Tiguan because my elderly dad was finding the Jetta too low, so we decided to get a compact SUV. We love the VW's European styling and handling. My 2010 Jetta got about 20 MPG combined. Based on sticker I expected that I would get at least 20 maybe 21 MPG combined with the Tiguan, the dealer kept telling me after 'break in' period I would get better mileage, well it has been about 6000 miles, so is it broken in??? I like the car but if knew i was only going to get 18 MPG I would have purchased the CRV, Mazda, or any of the others. They are all fine.

Favorite Features

- Comfortable - Smooth Ride - Simple interior design - Easy to park

Suggested Improvements

- Back up camera should be standard equipment. - Offer a diesel version, gas engine is so inefficient - better yet offer an electric or hybrid. - Cargo space is very limited. - When in reverse there should be audio indicator.