Six letters....DSG & TDI
By Rickallen on
2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion SUV AWD w/Prem Nav, Dynaudio (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I was initially impressed with the amount of room in this car. I'm 6'4" and to have the driver's seat comfortable and be able to tolerate sitting behind myself is rare. Drawbacks: One, this car needs a DSG transmission. The 6-speed auto feels elastic and "gummy". Getting back in my Jetta TDI with DSG felt like night and day. Two, the TDI engine would be the perfect combination of torque and efficiency for this size, yet it's not available. With DSG and TDI combined this would be an amazing vehicle, yet VW won't sell it here. A real shame because without those the car is mediocre. I'll gladly pay the cost diff to have them. Listening, VW?
Favorite Features
Leg room and knee room. I have a 36" inseam and I could extend my leg completely and still fit in the seat behind me. Dynaudio stereo - though only on top model, very good sound. Folding mirrors, keyless start, large sunroof, comfortable seats and driving position.
Suggested Improvements
DSG transmission - auto is horrible. TDI engine. THe combo of auto trans and 2.0T makes for a fast, but uninspiring combo. Make upgraded audio available on all models not just on premium package that forces you to get Navi and leather.
By wpank
on 01/17/11 15:35 PM (PST)

We had a 2010 Tiguan 6 speed manual, TDI, as a rental car in France. It was stellar. We averaged 35 mpg in a combination of city and highway driving, including a fair amount of stop and go. Great pick-up and a delight to drive.