Used 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Tiguan problems
By melbvw

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased a Tiguan in Dec. and it has been in the Service dept. numerous times for a clunking sound.
Have replaced front drive axle, then next trip complete transmission in which I waited 4 weeks for.
Now car is back in shop again for clunking sound when putting in gear and no one can seem to find the issue.
Sad to pay this much for a vehicle and this happens.
Would not recommend this car until all the bugs have been taken care of.

Like the pep that this car has but would not purchase due to several issues.

fun to drive but will cost you!
By nymom2

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have leased our Tiguan for almost a year and it is a very fun car to drive - zippy, responsive, excellent in the snow. Our biggest complaint is the gas millage. Our 2003 Honda Pilot needs less refueling. Also, the cloth interior get messy very easily. It sounds like a petty complaint but the car always needs vacuuming. After four months we had an electrical issue that was covered under the warranty. It made me glad we leased, not purchased the car. The trunk is not big enough to hold a set of golf clubs. My husband finds the driver's seat uncomfortable.
As far a styling goes, this is not a poor man's Audi A5 but a souped- up VW Golf.

Fun to drive

Gas mileage

Air Condition
By dn5053

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The German engineering on the air conditioning has a lot to be desired at 90 degrees and up - very inadequate!

Definitely need a bigger air conditioning unit!

Key design issues
By virginiaman

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The panic button on the key is poorly placed and is liable to go off if anything else is in your pocket whihc might bump up against the red button.
This is not a one time occurance for me, happening nine diffeent times in the first two months of ownership.
I must carry the key in a separate pocket to avoid the chance of the alarm activating in my driveway when I am in my house.

Mileage on this car is way below what the sticker advertised.
My old Volvo S60 beats this by 150 miles for the same size tank.

Interior is well appointed, but I find the bucket seats uncomfortable for long distance.

I bought this to transport an aging parent. I would sell absent this consideration.

Key and seat redesign. Drivers seat is pitched too far back and cuts off circulation. Bucket seat sides are too stiff and makes long distance driving uncomfortable.

Tiguan Rocks- No Buyer's Remorse Here!
By stevef20

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my Tiguan in Nov, 2010.
Driven 15K miles to this point.
Wanted an SUV for the AWD, but didn't want a tank.
4Motion handles outstanding in snow, sleet, and rain.
Panoramic sunroof is awesome.
Engine accelerates smoothly.
I haven't experienced significant delay as others have mentioned. Strong engine with sufficient torque at low RPM's.
To summarize:
Excellent SUV!
Somewhat pricey ($31,630 + tax), but I've experienced zero issues with vehicle since purchase.
German design and build provides value not found in domestic vehicles at this point, IMO.

Excellent 2.0 engine!. SE 4 Motion model has 18" rims which look great. Panoramic sunroof is unique... great on those overcast winter Midwest days. Design looks great. AWD is fantastic in inclimate weather.

Gas mileage has underperformed versus sticker (no surprise!). I'm averaging 18 city/23 hwy. Larger Navigation screen would be a nice upgrade, considering the price point. Seats are only partially powered.... full power is needed. Most importantly: Add a Diesel TDI version!!!.