Used 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Best In Class!!
By robloe30

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I normally read reviews, not write them but after noticing all the poor reviews the Tiguan has gotten lately I felt I owed the car some "REAL" opinions. We bought our Tiguan in May of 2011. I gotta admit, I thought it was just "OK" at first because after all it is my wifes car. We were replacing an 09 Honda Pilot EX-L because the Pilot was just too dang big. My wife wanted something smaller, and she seemed to always admire the VW. The Tuguan now has 6,200 miles on it and I couldn't be more impressed with the car! The engine is just absoultly amazing and a blast to drive. It seems like I found out soemthing new about the car everyday, truely amazing! just an absolute head-turner! Love it!!!!!

Favorite Features

The technology in the car is by far best in class. The car just oozzes quality when your behind the wheel, I can't believe this a Volkswagon! It feels more like I'm driving a Mercedes or BMW. I absolutly LOVE the Bluetooth iPod connect, you can just stream your music from your iPhone directly to the great sound system, how smart is that! The seats are very comfortable, the seats feel like they have 50 pounds of foam built into them. The streering on the car is very responsive, and the acceleration is far better than any other we test drove before buying the Tiguan. We love the quality of the interior, nothing inside the Tiguan feels or looks cheap. Real Aluminum inside the car looks amazing!

Suggested Improvements

Only a few complaints. The biggest one for my wife is the streering wheel. She is only 5 ft tall so she needs the streering wheel to adjust down more. She said it feels like it's too high and wont tilt down enough. I know it's sounds small but you do need to be completely comfortable while driving your own car I guess. The car does suck down fuel at a rate that could be better, but I think the turbo charged engine is causing us to put our foot into the peddle a little more than we should be. This I'm sure is the cause for the poor fuel mileage. The sheet metal they use to build this car I notice does dent easily, but for the sake of fuel mileage I know every car maker does this.

Key design issues
By virginiaman

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The panic button on the key is poorly placed and is liable to go off if anything else is in your pocket whihc might bump up against the red button. This is not a one time occurance for me, happening nine diffeent times in the first two months of ownership. I must carry the key in a separate pocket to avoid the chance of the alarm activating in my driveway when I am in my house. Mileage on this car is way below what the sticker advertised. My old Volvo S60 beats this by 150 miles for the same size tank. Interior is well appointed, but I find the bucket seats uncomfortable for long distance. I bought this to transport an aging parent. I would sell absent this consideration.

Suggested Improvements

Key and seat redesign. Drivers seat is pitched too far back and cuts off circulation. Bucket seat sides are too stiff and makes long distance driving uncomfortable.

2011 VW Tiguan SE - Fits the big and tall!
By thegrick

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just leased my 2011 Tiguan SE last week after many months of deliberation. First off, I am 6'5", so that basically eliminates 40% of all cars right off the bat. The Tiguan has more than enough leg and head room for me, and someone can realistically fit behind me when my seat is all the way back. That puts the car at an A for driver and passenger comfort. Also, when you are in the Tiguan, you absolutely know that you are driving a European auto...the way it handles, the solid build quality all around, and the feel of complete control over the road. Overall, VW put a huge emphasis on attention to detail with this vehicle; every function is useful and well thought out. Great interior!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth. I love being able to stream my music from my phone to my speakers wirelessly, and then having it automatically mute for an incoming phone call. The leatherette heated seats are extremely comfortable, the stock 8-speaker sound system is great, and the auto-stop feature is incredibly useful when I need to parallel park on the steep streets of San Francisco.

Suggested Improvements

The one feature that wasn't included that I would love in my Tiguan is a One-key system as seen in the Volvo XC60.

Safest car you can buy
By Paul

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is actually the second Tiguan we've bought in 4 months. The first was totaled with a head on 45 mph crash with a vehicle twice its size. We survived because the crash cage is 3.9 times that of the federal safety standards according to the police officer. Hence when it came to a replacement, it was this, the Volvo XC60 (or if we could wait for it Saab 94X). We chose the Tiguan as its more fun to drive than the XC60, has a nice interior, and although the ride can be firm (along with the seats). It eats through the miles quickly. The interior is slightly different to the 2010 model. I prefer the old steering wheel controls and stick shift, but ipod/phone integration is a lot better.

Favorite Features

Torque (thanks to the GTi engine in it), precise steering, visibility, great media center, interior that is close to that of an Audi, quietness, safety cage.

Suggested Improvements

To me, some parts of the interior look like they have cheapened slightly since 2010, but that could just be my impression. A backup camera would be handy, along with a bigger trunk, which is the only weakness of the model. Still, for the day to day run to work and the daycare center, its fine.