Used 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Shake....Rattle ....Roll
By Mike Coleman

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There is something going on with the Tires......BRAND NEW TIRES......And the Shake....Shake ....and Shake....Have been Balance by everybody....Belle....Discount....VW....Everybody....Now I told that Continental Pro-Contact is a Poor Tire for the Tiguan....It won't stay Balance..I have been to the Dealer 3 Times in 2 years...Plus to Belle Tire and Discount Tire. They all tell me it the Tires and Volkswagen knows about the Problem and won't do anything about. I was told UN-OFFICIALLY, That when I need tires....Buy Michellin. They ride better I'm told. If VW knows Continental Tires are bad then swap them out. Why make me suffer for 2 or 3 years waiting for the tires to wear down.....Hey Volkswagen REMEMBER FORD/FIRESTONE.....I'm Going to keep writing about this problem.

9 Months old and outside door handle breaks off.
By gjoes

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well this is irritating and one of the reasons I had reservations about buying a VW, weird little things breaking, knobs falling off, etc. I had a new Jetta in 1998 and my trips to the dealership for little things were endless, including the starter going ont within 6 months. I was assured all of these issues were taken care of, and obviously they're not. Once the door handle was in my hand (not on the car) I noticed that it is actually plastic. Plastic? Hmmmm. I should have kept my Jeep.

First VW and my last VW
By hanoverpark

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought it new and liked it but it has been in for repairs 3 times in the 2 years I have had it. The first 2 times were under warranty, now I have to pay for this one ($741). When you buy a new car you just don't expect repair bills this early. I was very optimistic with my first VW, sadly I think they are junk as many people advised me.

Good ride, stylish looks. I really liked this car.

The need for repairs 3 times in the first two years of ownership equals a crap product in my book.

Best In Class!!
By robloe30

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I normally read reviews, not write them but after noticing all the poor reviews the Tiguan has gotten lately I felt I owed the car some "REAL" opinions. We bought our Tiguan in May of 2011. I gotta admit, I thought it was just "OK" at first because after all it is my wifes car. We were replacing an 09 Honda Pilot EX-L because the Pilot was just too dang big. My wife wanted something smaller, and she seemed to always admire the VW. The Tuguan now has 6,200 miles on it and I couldn't be more impressed with the car! The engine is just absoultly amazing and a blast to drive. It seems like I found out soemthing new about the car everyday, truely amazing! just an absolute head-turner! Love it!!!!!

The technology in the car is by far best in class. The car just oozzes quality when your behind the wheel, I can't believe this a Volkswagon! It feels more like I'm driving a Mercedes or BMW. I absolutly LOVE the Bluetooth iPod connect, you can just stream your music from your iPhone directly to the great sound system, how smart is that! The seats are very comfortable, the seats feel like they have 50 pounds of foam built into them. The streering on the car is very responsive, and the acceleration is far better than any other we test drove before buying the Tiguan. We love the quality of the interior, nothing inside the Tiguan feels or looks cheap. Real Aluminum inside the car looks amazing!

Only a few complaints. The biggest one for my wife is the streering wheel. She is only 5 ft tall so she needs the streering wheel to adjust down more. She said it feels like it's too high and wont tilt down enough. I know it's sounds small but you do need to be completely comfortable while driving your own car I guess. The car does suck down fuel at a rate that could be better, but I think the turbo charged engine is causing us to put our foot into the peddle a little more than we should be. This I'm sure is the cause for the poor fuel mileage. The sheet metal they use to build this car I notice does dent easily, but for the sake of fuel mileage I know every car maker does this.

Losing the love
By ray85158

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion SUV AWD w/Prem Nav, Dynaudio (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When I first got my Tiguan, I really loved it. However, that is beginning to wear off. My biggest concern on buying a VW is slowly coming true. Electrical gremlins. All of these are intermittent issues so this is going to be fun with the dealer. The back lighting on the right side of the gauge cluster is out sometimes. The radio/nav has now frozen up about 10 different times. The keyless system is flaky. About one out of 10 start ups it says the key is out of range. About 50% of the time I cannot open the rear hatch with the key in my pocket.

Fun to drive. Very peppy around town.

The highway mileage stinks. I only get about 23-25 on the highway. City is ok at 20-21. For reference I have a 3/4 ton Sierra pickup with a duramax diesel and I get 25 on the highway. Interior is a bit utilitarian. Material quality is good, but I feel like I am in a 18K car and not a 36K car.