2011 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
9 Months old and outside door handle breaks off.
By gjoes on 08/13/12 12:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well this is irritating and one of the reasons I had reservations about buying a VW, weird little things breaking, knobs falling off, etc. I had a new Jetta in 1998 and my trips to the dealership for little things were endless, including the starter going ont within 6 months. I was assured all of these issues were taken care of, and obviously they're not. Once the door handle was in my hand (not on the car) I noticed that it is actually plastic. Plastic? Hmmmm. I should have kept my Jeep.

First VW and my last VW
By hanoverpark on 04/24/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought it new and liked it but it has been in for repairs 3 times in the 2 years I have had it. The first 2 times were under warranty, now I have to pay for this one ($741). When you buy a new car you just don't expect repair bills this early. I was very optimistic with my first VW, sadly I think they are junk as many people advised me.

Best In Class!!
By robloe30 on 02/23/12 23:20 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I normally read reviews, not write them but after noticing all the poor reviews the Tiguan has gotten lately I felt I owed the car some "REAL" opinions. We bought our Tiguan in May of 2011. I gotta admit, I thought it was just "OK" at first because after all it is my wifes car. We were replacing an 09 Honda Pilot EX-L because the Pilot was just too dang big. My wife wanted something smaller, and she seemed to always admire the VW. The Tuguan now has 6,200 miles on it and I couldn't be more impressed with the car! The engine is just absoultly amazing and a blast to drive. It seems like I found out soemthing new about the car everyday, truely amazing! just an absolute head-turner! Love it!!!!!

Losing the love
By ray85158 on 02/22/12 23:58 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion SUV AWD w/Prem Nav, Dynaudio (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When I first got my Tiguan, I really loved it. However, that is beginning to wear off. My biggest concern on buying a VW is slowly coming true. Electrical gremlins. All of these are intermittent issues so this is going to be fun with the dealer. The back lighting on the right side of the gauge cluster is out sometimes. The radio/nav has now frozen up about 10 different times. The keyless system is flaky. About one out of 10 start ups it says the key is out of range. About 50% of the time I cannot open the rear hatch with the key in my pocket.

Tiguan problems
By melbvw on 11/09/11 12:43 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased a Tiguan in Dec. and it has been in the Service dept. numerous times for a clunking sound. Have replaced front drive axle, then next trip complete transmission in which I waited 4 weeks for. Now car is back in shop again for clunking sound when putting in gear and no one can seem to find the issue. Sad to pay this much for a vehicle and this happens. Would not recommend this car until all the bugs have been taken care of.

fun to drive but will cost you!
By nymom2 on 10/11/11 18:19 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have leased our Tiguan for almost a year and it is a very fun car to drive - zippy, responsive, excellent in the snow. Our biggest complaint is the gas millage. Our 2003 Honda Pilot needs less refueling. Also, the cloth interior get messy very easily. It sounds like a petty complaint but the car always needs vacuuming. After four months we had an electrical issue that was covered under the warranty. It made me glad we leased, not purchased the car. The trunk is not big enough to hold a set of golf clubs. My husband finds the driver's seat uncomfortable. As far a styling goes, this is not a poor man's Audi A5 but a souped- up VW Golf.

Air Condition
By dn5053 on 07/16/11 07:15 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The German engineering on the air conditioning has a lot to be desired at 90 degrees and up - very inadequate!

Key design issues
By virginiaman on 07/15/11 11:59 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The panic button on the key is poorly placed and is liable to go off if anything else is in your pocket whihc might bump up against the red button. This is not a one time occurance for me, happening nine diffeent times in the first two months of ownership. I must carry the key in a separate pocket to avoid the chance of the alarm activating in my driveway when I am in my house. Mileage on this car is way below what the sticker advertised. My old Volvo S60 beats this by 150 miles for the same size tank. Interior is well appointed, but I find the bucket seats uncomfortable for long distance. I bought this to transport an aging parent. I would sell absent this consideration.

Tiguan Rocks- No Buyer's Remorse Here!
By stevef20 on 06/16/11 08:29 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my Tiguan in Nov, 2010. Driven 15K miles to this point. Wanted an SUV for the AWD, but didn't want a tank. 4Motion handles outstanding in snow, sleet, and rain. Panoramic sunroof is awesome. Engine accelerates smoothly. I haven't experienced significant delay as others have mentioned. Strong engine with sufficient torque at low RPM's. To summarize: Excellent SUV! Somewhat pricey ($31,630 + tax), but I've experienced zero issues with vehicle since purchase. German design and build provides value not found in domestic vehicles at this point, IMO.

This Car Rocks!!
By apl123 on 05/27/11 10:31 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Lease on my wife's Rav 4 was coming up so we finally decided on the Tiguan. I neve owned a VW and I have to say that this car to me and my wife is far superior in quality, fit and finish, acceleration, style, overall feel, than the Rav 4. Yes we did sacrifice some trunk space but kids are grown so it didn't matter. The passing power is like a 6 cylinder and really moves thanks to the Turbo and More importantly the 6 speed transmission which is not offered by most of the competition.We got the S 4 Motion and the Standard Equipment was more than Japanese cars offer,Blue tooth,aluminum wheels and privacy Glass to name a few. The interior is gorgeous!! My wife loves it, happy wife happy life

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan in VA is:

$132 per month*