2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
6,487 of 6,487 people found this review helpful
Love my Tiguan
By John on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the third VW I've owned and I love it even more than the others. Nice, clean styling combined with easy to use controls and great performance around town, make the Tiguan a fantastic vehicle to drive.

Great, but what's with the gas mileage?
By Funkyzeit on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Love this car. Handles well, fun to drive, easy to park (especially with rear view camera). But the fuel economy is atrocious. How can such a small car, with a 4 cyl engine only get 24 MPG highway? And want premium fuel? An Audi A8, with a 372 hp V-8 gets 27 MPG highway! In Germany the Tiguan is sold with a choice of 5 engines, of course only the least efficient engine is offered in the US. If VW put a TDI in the Tiguan, they would have the most fuel- efficient cross-over sold in the US, getting probably 40 MPG highway.

Disappointed
By paul m on 08/18/10 12:30 PM (PDT)

While the Tiguan looks good and is very comfortable to sit in, I do not enjoy driving it. The throttle response when first pushing on the accelerator pedal is non existent, and just never feels normal. VW service says that it is. (Issue addressed in review dated 5/5/10). And changing the vehicle's settings or convenience features always requires pulling out the three ring binder that is the owner's manual. I am disappointed that we did not buy the Honda CR-V, a much better value for the money. (Though we would then see our car everywhere). Since my wife likes to sit higher, she drives the Tiguan. I much prefer driving our 4 year old Acura TSX.

Sporty, solid, unique
By Lionel Hutz on 08/15/10 23:25 PM (PDT)

I am in love with my Tiguan. For a small SUV that competes with the CR-V and Rav4, I just cannot see buying either of those others over the Tiguan. They are just so ubiquitous. The Tiguan really stands out and is a blast to drive. It is every bit as sporty as my wife's A4. Build quality rivals cars costing twice as much. Rides and drives very well. Just so much bang for the buck here I can't possibly see why anyone buys the Q5. I also chuckle a bit when people complain about the gas mileage for a 2- ton SUV with big tires and, in some cases, AWD. If you need more than 22 mpg, go get a Prius and get laughed at.

Loving it
By Jedimed on 07/19/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

I had to trade in my Audi A4 for something a bit more family-friendly, but that wasn't a boat. The Tiguan fit the bill nicely, with just enough room to get the kids in without adding too much mass. The handling and acceleration are better than most of its class, certainly much better than the CR-V. The Audi Q5 definitely outpaces the Tiguan, but it comes with a much higher price. If you're looking for a sporty SUV ride that gives you a bit more room and ground clearance, this is a good choice. If you want something to haul a lot of cargo, though, you may be disappointed.

2010
By Brian M on 06/16/10 12:01 PM (PDT)

At first skeptical, but after a few weeks I realized this is a great car that really fits my needs. The legroom all around is great. Truly a 4 passenger car, not 5. Unbelievably, fun to drive. Cabin is very quiet and when that passing power is needed , it really delivers. After the initial break in period, of 1000 miles, the car seemed to get even better. When compared to other small SUVs, I step on the gas and the Tiguan Wolfsburg really moves, not just engine noise.

Best of both worlds!
By Amber on 04/19/10 12:51 PM (PDT)

I was in a unique situation when I was car shopping. Living in PA, I had to have AWD or 4WD, and I LOVE German engineering. After living in the south, I wanted fun, too. I traded an 07 Mercedes and an 06 Wrangler for the Tiguan. I looked at Volvo, Nissan, and Toyota, and this was the ONLY one that had the class and luxury that I was used to, while having one of the most competent AWD systems available. I am absolutely thrilled with my Tiguan. It is absolutely one of the most solid vehicles manufactured, and I smile every day I get to drive it.

What more could you ask for
By TheTopShelf on 03/24/10 07:52 AM (PDT)

I've only had this vehicle for a week or two but I am amazed by the overall package of this vehicle. I did a lot of research and test drove a lot of vehicles in this class (Equinox, CR-V, RAV-4, Edge, CX-7) and none could compare to the Tiguan. It might be a little on the pricey side but trust me, you are getting your money's worth.

Great Family Vehicle
By Cocoseng on 03/20/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

Had the vehicle for about a month and cannot say enough good things. It drives like a GTI, but is spacious and comfortable for the whole family.

Fun to drive
By cantwaittodrive on 03/10/10 18:45 PM (PST)

I love driving the Tiguan. I was worried about the 4 cyl performance (had a 6 cyl previously) but this vw shifts seamlessly and still has plenty of power. The ride is super smooth and I love the exterior styling. Test drove the Ford Escape and Mazda CX-7 and the Tiguan beats both hands down. Feels like a solidly built vehicle, corners nicely and the controls are easy to access.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in NJ is:

$204 per month*