Used 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Among the best cars I've owned.
By Maria Vale

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've driven and owned a numerous amount of cars in my life, given my constant travels and former business assignments, so I can say with certainty, that this Tiguan is turning out to be an excellent decision to purchase. I grew up seeing many VWs, Mercedes, Volvos and Datsun/Nissans, as well as Fords, that were decades-old, still on the road, so I knew those brands were the way to go when it came to ownership.

Volkswagen has hit a nice mark with the Tiguan since it's a small SUV, completely manageable for someone who's below 5'3" tall. The car has a peppy pick up when on the highway, especially if you shift it into Sports mode. This little car can run! It takes a couple of seconds longer to pick up highway speed on the regular Drive shift as compared to the Sports mode, but in both gears it responds fast.

It runs smoothly and it has come thru for me in important situations such as quick/sudden braking, even in the most hazardous conditions such as slippery roads, poor visibility and heavy (almost blinding) rain. I consider this car the way I'd consider a loyal friend, who's always there for you, no matter what. This car is no diva despite its beautiful exterior and interior. It has leather beige seats, beige interior, panoramic sunroof, 40/60 back seats, front bucket seats, computerized diagnostics, amazing sound system, noiseless and totally gorgeous and comfortable inside.

The only things were I'd improve would be in the gas mileage. I get a range of 11-18 MPG in city (11-13 in NYC) (18 in Florida) to 21-24 on the highway. I was not careful to learn before purchasing that this car requires premium gas. Thankfully the price of gas is much more affordable where I live now, so a full tank nowadays (about 16 gallons) requires anywhere between $40-45. I always use Shell Premium.

Also, since this is my first SUV (always driven sedans), it's not as smooth as a sedan ride. But the service guy tells me all trucks and SUVs have that feel. My Tiguan does have a bit of engine hum, very, very low, but again, I've been told is normal in an SUV. I also watch the RPMs and when in idle mode, they always remain at below 1000 RPMs, and that's a positive sign of a healthy engine. The minor engine hum doesn't really bother me since I always have my radio on anyway, so I don't really hear it.

Regarding repairs, I've only had to take it in for repair once when I gave someone a boost and not sure why but one of the electronic computer boards burnt. Since it's under Warranty, the dealership (VW Schumacher) took care of it and put me on a nice loaner (the CC). The service is always fast and friendly at the dealer. Also, I've kept the car under warranty extensions. A good investment.

I'm very happy with my Tiguan. I've been warned that perhaps problems may come at over 100,000 miles, like in all cars, where parts need to be changed, but I believe in good German engineering. After all, this model was completely built in the Germany plant. I've seen a couple of reviews here of people complaining (rightfully so) of mechanical issues with their Tiguans, even before their cars hit the 36K mile mark when warranty expires, but that's to be expected from any brand. There is always a lemon here and there. I don't see a pattern with the Tiguan model in the market though, so I don't worry, especially with this particular year and trim. I haven't had any engine issues. At all.

Every time I've taken it into service it's been for regular wear and tear issues, such as the usual maintenance check, or changing the battery at 30K+ miles (on 3rd year of age), and earlier this year for new tires, all done at the dealer (5th year of age at 40K miles). The change of battery cost me $180, with warranty, and the brand new tires set me back $1,100, also with warranty and free tire maintenance included. But I love my Tiguan. It's worth it and I take good care of it because it takes good care of me. If you see this particular trim and year, you'll notice a higher rating, so you can't go wrong. If buying it used, make sure to know the history. In my case, all work's done at the dealer, so if I ever need to sell it, all the history is there. It's all a matter of investing in your car for the long term.

Great fun to drive, agile, but expensive on repairs
By Edward Becker, Jr.

This compact SUV drives like a small European sports car. Adequate passenger space, high quality interior, 4 motion AWD tracks well through some of the worst winter snow and ice (except moderately high snow drifts). My complaints are with below average reliability. Problems began at around 70,000 miles. I've had 3 water pumps, trouble with emissions system, replaced turbo, clogged injectors, replaced virtually every motor seal, and other issues. Total cost of dealer completed repairs and maintenance to date (with 108k miles)- $13,600.(ridiculous). If you buy one of these, keep it until around 60k, then get rid of it!

Engine performance, beautiful soft leather interior, agile and accurate steering and handling, adequate MPG (combined 23-24 mpg). Nice large panoramic roof.

Longer trouble free engine durability.

Love my Tiguan
159,967 of 159,967 people found this review helpful
By John

This is the third VW I've owned and I love it even more than the others. Nice, clean styling combined with easy to use controls and great performance around town, make the Tiguan a fantastic vehicle to drive.

Panoramic roof, controls, and ease of handling.

Power lift gate

Great, but what's with the gas mileage?
By Funkyzeit

Love this car. Handles well, fun to drive, easy to park (especially with rear view camera). But the fuel economy is atrocious. How can such a small car, with a 4 cyl engine only get 24 MPG highway? And want premium fuel? An Audi A8, with a 372 hp V-8 gets 27 MPG highway! In Germany the Tiguan is sold with a choice of 5 engines, of course only the least efficient engine is offered in the US. If VW put a TDI in the Tiguan, they would have the most fuel- efficient cross-over sold in the US, getting probably 40 MPG highway.

Handling, nav-system (with sat-radio and rear-view camera), moon-roof, sliding rear seats.

Offer some of the more fuel efficient engines offered in other countries

Disappointed
By paul m

While the Tiguan looks good and is very comfortable to sit in, I do not enjoy driving it. The throttle response when first pushing on the accelerator pedal is non existent, and just never feels normal. VW service says that it is. (Issue addressed in review dated 5/5/10). And changing the vehicle's settings or convenience features always requires pulling out the three ring binder that is the owner's manual. I am disappointed that we did not buy the Honda CR-V, a much better value for the money. (Though we would then see our car everywhere). Since my wife likes to sit higher, she drives the Tiguan. I much prefer driving our 4 year old Acura TSX.

Distinctive style, seating roominess and comfort, overall feeling of good quality.

More cargo space. Offer a non-turbo engine. Fix the throttle problem. Put cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.