Used 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Among the best cars I've owned.
By Maria Vale

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've driven and owned a numerous amount of cars in my life, given my constant travels and former business assignments, so I can say with certainty, that this Tiguan is turning out to be an excellent decision to purchase. I grew up seeing many VWs, Mercedes, Volvos and Datsun/Nissans, as well as Fords, that were decades-old, still on the road, so I knew those brands were the way to go when it came to ownership.

Volkswagen has hit a nice mark with the Tiguan since it's a small SUV, completely manageable for someone who's below 5'3" tall. The car has a peppy pick up when on the highway, especially if you shift it into Sports mode. This little car can run! It takes a couple of seconds longer to pick up highway speed on the regular Drive shift as compared to the Sports mode, but in both gears it responds fast.

It runs smoothly and it has come thru for me in important situations such as quick/sudden braking, even in the most hazardous conditions such as slippery roads, poor visibility and heavy (almost blinding) rain. I consider this car the way I'd consider a loyal friend, who's always there for you, no matter what. This car is no diva despite its beautiful exterior and interior. It has leather beige seats, beige interior, panoramic sunroof, 40/60 back seats, front bucket seats, computerized diagnostics, amazing sound system, noiseless and totally gorgeous and comfortable inside.

The only things were I'd improve would be in the gas mileage. I get a range of 11-18 MPG in city (11-13 in NYC) (18 in Florida) to 21-24 on the highway. I was not careful to learn before purchasing that this car requires premium gas. Thankfully the price of gas is much more affordable where I live now, so a full tank nowadays (about 16 gallons) requires anywhere between $40-45. I always use Shell Premium.

Also, since this is my first SUV (always driven sedans), it's not as smooth as a sedan ride. But the service guy tells me all trucks and SUVs have that feel. My Tiguan does have a bit of engine hum, very, very low, but again, I've been told is normal in an SUV. I also watch the RPMs and when in idle mode, they always remain at below 1000 RPMs, and that's a positive sign of a healthy engine. The minor engine hum doesn't really bother me since I always have my radio on anyway, so I don't really hear it.

Regarding repairs, I've only had to take it in for repair once when I gave someone a boost and not sure why but one of the electronic computer boards burnt. Since it's under Warranty, the dealership (VW Schumacher) took care of it and put me on a nice loaner (the CC). The service is always fast and friendly at the dealer. Also, I've kept the car under warranty extensions. A good investment.

I'm very happy with my Tiguan. I've been warned that perhaps problems may come at over 100,000 miles, like in all cars, where parts need to be changed, but I believe in good German engineering. After all, this model was completely built in the Germany plant. I've seen a couple of reviews here of people complaining (rightfully so) of mechanical issues with their Tiguans, even before their cars hit the 36K mile mark when warranty expires, but that's to be expected from any brand. There is always a lemon here and there. I don't see a pattern with the Tiguan model in the market though, so I don't worry, especially with this particular year and trim. I haven't had any engine issues. At all.

Every time I've taken it into service it's been for regular wear and tear issues, such as the usual maintenance check, or changing the battery at 30K+ miles (on 3rd year of age), and earlier this year for new tires, all done at the dealer (5th year of age at 40K miles). The change of battery cost me $180, with warranty, and the brand new tires set me back $1,100, also with warranty and free tire maintenance included. But I love my Tiguan. It's worth it and I take good care of it because it takes good care of me. If you see this particular trim and year, you'll notice a higher rating, so you can't go wrong. If buying it used, make sure to know the history. In my case, all work's done at the dealer, so if I ever need to sell it, all the history is there. It's all a matter of investing in your car for the long term.

Most unreliable car ever!!
By usavp1

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have owned more than 5 cars over the last 10 years - a mix of German and Japanese makes. This 2010 vw Tiguan has been the most unreliable car we have ever owned or driven. This includes the notoriously unreliable Italian cars I grew up driving in the 1980s. We bought this car new. Over the last 6 months (out of warranty of course), we have had the following issues
1. Water pump failure
2. Fuel pump failure
3. Turbo repair
4. A variety of electrical faults
5. Turbo replacement,
costing a total $5000 in repairs. Now the
6. EPC light and check engine light just came on - headed to dealer.
LAST VW WE EVER BUY.
WOULD HIGHLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM PURCHASING THIS CAR.
We were helping some friends with car shopping this weekend. Steered them clear of the vw Tiguan, their top choice before we talked to them.

What a POS
By Roque

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We purchased the 2010 in 2012; we have had the radiator replaced (leak), intake manifold replaced (cracked) fuel injectors replaced, spark control modules replaced, motor replaced (blown) and two months after the motor was replaced, I now have an engine light code P2187. We give up, trading this POS in this weekend.

VW should call this POS a lemon.

Great fun to drive, agile, but expensive on repairs
By Edward Becker, Jr.

This compact SUV drives like a small European sports car. Adequate passenger space, high quality interior, 4 motion AWD tracks well through some of the worst winter snow and ice (except moderately high snow drifts). My complaints are with below average reliability. Problems began at around 70,000 miles. I've had 3 water pumps, trouble with emissions system, replaced turbo, clogged injectors, replaced virtually every motor seal, and other issues. Total cost of dealer completed repairs and maintenance to date (with 108k miles)- $13,600.(ridiculous). If you buy one of these, keep it until around 60k, then get rid of it!

Engine performance, beautiful soft leather interior, agile and accurate steering and handling, adequate MPG (combined 23-24 mpg). Nice large panoramic roof.

Longer trouble free engine durability.

Major Disappointment-horrible in snow
By gailspike

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My experience has been a disappointment.
From the first month I have had miscellaneous electrical issues.
Had the electronic parking brake stick numerous times, it took a couple visits to dealership to replace sensor.
Another sensor is when closing the trunk the entire locking system freezing up- said it is a safety feature, nothing wrong with car???
Now gas gage issue...dual fuel sending units.
Being a female I get the runaround unfortunately I have to bring my husband to get results.
Plus I research VW Vortex with all the other disappointed owners.
I had Toyota's for 30 years and NEVER had to bring them back for anything but general maintenance.
I can't afford to trade it & buy ano

It looks pretty and is peppy.

A decent sensor system