2010 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Major Disappointment-horrible in snow
By gailspike on 03/22/13 19:12 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My experience has been a disappointment. From the first month I have had miscellaneous electrical issues. Had the electronic parking brake stick numerous times, it took a couple visits to dealership to replace sensor. Another sensor is when closing the trunk the entire locking system freezing up- said it is a safety feature, nothing wrong with car??? Now gas gage issue...dual fuel sending units. Being a female I get the runaround unfortunately I have to bring my husband to get results. Plus I research VW Vortex with all the other disappointed owners. I had Toyota's for 30 years and NEVER had to bring them back for anything but general maintenance. I can't afford to trade it & buy ano

First VW may be my Last
By tg3 on 05/26/11 14:13 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned a chevy and honda previously, went with the Tiguan b/c the manual trans and looks... have had the car just over a year and it's been in the dealer for fixes 3 times (my chevy and honda needed nothing but routine maintenance). People warned me with buying a VW, but I was like 'how can it be so bad if so many people have them?'. Well sadly I am finding out. I love the car but never imagined having probs with a car that's only a year old. How can VW shoot for achieving #1 car sales if they make junk? Well, this is definitely my last VW, thinking of trading it for a Rav4 before I have to start paying for the repairs. Sorry to say, I did have hopes of 6 years with this car.

A Great Choice
By rchanatry on 05/23/11 04:16 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my 2010 Tiguan SEL4Motion for a year and have driven it through a heavy north east winter. FANTASTIC in all snow conditions with standard Pirreli all seasons. The engine and transmission are flawless. Transmission as smooth as my BMW X3. So many high end features..xenon adaptive headlights w/ turn spot light, electric folding heated mirrors, touchscreen navigation, heated washer nozzles...amazing amenities. My only complaints: 2 minor rattles (seat belt, and ac vent) and Touch screen nav/radio unit freezes after phone call occasionally. (Turn off car, open door, restart fixes it.)

Great until it gets cold outside! DO NOT BUY
By tiguanowner4 on 02/08/11 20:22 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My power sterring does not work. Thankfully this has not happened as I drive down the highway. However I am left to cross my fingers and pray my car will work when I get in it. I have had my 2010 Tiguan in the shop 5 times in the past 4 months. It always happens when it is cold outside. Perhaps they should not be selling these in Alberta then!!! My mom is also experiencing the same problem on the same day with her 2010 Tiguan! She has also had her Tiguan in the shop for the same amount of times...big surprise. It happens when the weather is colder than -25 which happens a lot here. Canadian buyers BEWARE:(

2011 Tiguan 2.0L turbo rattles!!!
By howieb38 on 01/26/11 15:19 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this 2011 Tiguan because I also bought a 2010 VW Passat wagon. Unfortunately the Tiguan has an annoying rattle in the engine when ever I accelerate from a stop and cuts out at about 3000 RPM. I've had it to two dealers and they claim it's normal for the engine?? When I explain that I also own a 2010 Passat with the exact same engine and there's no rattle sound, they say "That is normal for this car". I can't believe that VW won't acknowledge that there's a problem. I would return it and buy another brand if I could, but after going back and forth with VW for three months, I'm stuck with this lemon. It's a $40,000 mistake. It's also the last VW I'll ever buy.

46,942 of 46,942 people found this review helpful
Love my Tiguan
By John on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the third VW I've owned and I love it even more than the others. Nice, clean styling combined with easy to use controls and great performance around town, make the Tiguan a fantastic vehicle to drive.

Great, but what's with the gas mileage?
By Funkyzeit on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Love this car. Handles well, fun to drive, easy to park (especially with rear view camera). But the fuel economy is atrocious. How can such a small car, with a 4 cyl engine only get 24 MPG highway? And want premium fuel? An Audi A8, with a 372 hp V-8 gets 27 MPG highway! In Germany the Tiguan is sold with a choice of 5 engines, of course only the least efficient engine is offered in the US. If VW put a TDI in the Tiguan, they would have the most fuel- efficient cross-over sold in the US, getting probably 40 MPG highway.

My Lemon
By J. Petrus on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased this car thinking German engineering is built strong and tuff. One week from owning the car the breaks start to squeek loud( high pitch sound).I took it to the Van nuys dealer and they said it is break dust and it will go away.We had a crv before that and never had a problem, Regretably, we are looking to trade this car with eithier another crv,rav4 or cx7. I guess the German cars are not so strong after all.

Delightful
By cloud on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased the Tiguan rather than a Toyota Venza for ground clearance, handling, all weather reliability and two large dogs. We like clean sharp design and this vehicle meets all of our needs ably - enjoying the car.

Almost perfect
By Tim on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first VW after owning over 25 new cars. Like quality of body build, feels solid. Interior is like Audi quality without the price. Seating is excellent as well as visibility. I am getting consistent 25 mpg combo hwy/city taking it easy with 6K miles to date. Only complaint is brake squeal when backing up after car sits a couple of hours. VW can't or won't resolve and it appears this is common with the brand. Talked with dealership and customer care -say brakes are to specifications so have a nice day. I told them how come I never had this problem with any other vehicles in the past. They say because you never owned a VW before. They make a nice product except for this issue.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan in VA is:

$131 per month*