Used 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

What a POS
By Roque

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We purchased the 2010 in 2012; we have had the radiator replaced (leak), intake manifold replaced (cracked) fuel injectors replaced, spark control modules replaced, motor replaced (blown) and two months after the motor was replaced, I now have an engine light code P2187. We give up, trading this POS in this weekend. VW should call this POS a lemon.

Great fun to drive, agile, but expensive on repairs
By Edward Becker, Jr.

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This compact SUV drives like a small European sports car. Adequate passenger space, high quality interior, 4 motion AWD tracks well through some of the worst winter snow and ice (except moderately high snow drifts). My complaints are with below average reliability. Problems began at around 70,000 miles. I've had 3 water pumps, trouble with emissions system, replaced turbo, clogged injectors, replaced virtually every motor seal, and other issues. Total cost of dealer completed repairs and maintenance to date (with 108k miles)- $13,600.(ridiculous). If you buy one of these, keep it until around 60k, then get rid of it!

Engine performance, beautiful soft leather interior, agile and accurate steering and handling, adequate MPG (combined 23-24 mpg). Nice large panoramic roof.

Longer trouble free engine durability.

Major Disappointment-horrible in snow
By gailspike

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My experience has been a disappointment. From the first month I have had miscellaneous electrical issues. Had the electronic parking brake stick numerous times, it took a couple visits to dealership to replace sensor. Another sensor is when closing the trunk the entire locking system freezing up- said it is a safety feature, nothing wrong with car??? Now gas gage issue...dual fuel sending units. Being a female I get the runaround unfortunately I have to bring my husband to get results. Plus I research VW Vortex with all the other disappointed owners. I had Toyota's for 30 years and NEVER had to bring them back for anything but general maintenance. I can't afford to trade it & buy ano

It looks pretty and is peppy.

A decent sensor system

First VW may be my Last
By tg3

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned a chevy and honda previously, went with the Tiguan b/c the manual trans and looks... have had the car just over a year and it's been in the dealer for fixes 3 times (my chevy and honda needed nothing but routine maintenance). People warned me with buying a VW, but I was like 'how can it be so bad if so many people have them?'. Well sadly I am finding out. I love the car but never imagined having probs with a car that's only a year old. How can VW shoot for achieving #1 car sales if they make junk? Well, this is definitely my last VW, thinking of trading it for a Rav4 before I have to start paying for the repairs. Sorry to say, I did have hopes of 6 years with this car.

Style, performance.

The heat/ac vents stink, the little circle design looks cool but is not good functionally (esp on a hot day, ac only hits your face and up).

A Great Choice
By rchanatry

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my 2010 Tiguan SEL4Motion for a year and have driven it through a heavy north east winter. FANTASTIC in all snow conditions with standard Pirreli all seasons. The engine and transmission are flawless. Transmission as smooth as my BMW X3. So many high end features..xenon adaptive headlights w/ turn spot light, electric folding heated mirrors, touchscreen navigation, heated washer nozzles...amazing amenities. My only complaints: 2 minor rattles (seat belt, and ac vent) and Touch screen nav/radio unit freezes after phone call occasionally. (Turn off car, open door, restart fixes it.)

Transmission, acceleration, traction, touch screen navigation and radio easy to use. iPod integration, headlights, MFI display in center of dash. So fun to drive! Really comfortable rear seat.

I would scale down the center hub where the radio sits. Purely a design preference.