Like a GTI XL
By BCWatty on
2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Wanted a GTI but rear seat room was just too small. Manual transmission and higher ingress/egress makes this fit my desire for fun and my need for comfort. Would have preferred a manual transmission with the ability to also have nav, sunroof, heated seats and AWD, but VW did not give me that option. I have found base 'S' model's cloth seats do not get as cold as leather seats so I have not yet gone to the aftermarket for heated seats. It is more quiet than my BMW and Chevy Tahoe. It tracks well and has lots of storage cubbies, including a hidden one to the left of steering wheel. Drawers under the seats like the European models would have been nice. Bring on the TDI with a stick!
Favorite Features
Auto Hold feature is great for teaching my daughter to drive a stick. All controls are intuitive to use and right where they should be. Smooth manual transmission is great, but the power and handling is what sold me. Came down to 2009 Subaru Forester or Tiguan and VW was just more fun to drive.
Suggested Improvements
Make the "VW" logo on hatch the opener like on the GTI and Rabbit. TDI would be perfect. Allow manual transmission in SE and SEL models - it was difficult to give up the Subaru's cool moonroof (which could be had with a stick). Allow full range of options to be available with the manual stick.