2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Review: Fast, Fun and Fuel Economy

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Review

SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Fast, Fun and Fuel Economy
By VWFan on

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I looked at many vehicles from sedans to SUVs before deciding on the Tiguan to replace by Pilot (including the new Pilot). I decided sitting a little higher in traffic and all-wheel drive were important - hence my choice of another SUV. The Tiguan is fantastic -- quick acceleration, fun to drive and fuel economy of 28.5 mpg average on my first 2 tanks of regular gas. I choose the SEL for the added features and am not disappointed that I did. There is lots of room, and as a big guy I appreciate that. The back is tight for 3 adults, but would be fine for shorter distances - a luxury ride for 2 in the back. I am looking forward to better mpg, and am very satisfied with my Tiguan!

The panoramic sunroof is fantastic -- almost like a convertible. You can close the sunscreen so you can have the fresh air and not the hot sun if you want. I also like the Xenon headlights that light the path on corners and the automatic windshield wipers. Great turbo engine and response.

Bluetooth should be standard like it is in Europe and considering there is a button for it on the steering wheel already (I understand there will be a dealer installed option around Christmas). I would prefer a more fully automatic climate system that cycled the air conditioning compressor as needed