Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

1500 miles so far-very fun, look'n good
By Susansocal

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my new White SE Tiguan for 1 month and I am really enjoying driving again. I sold my 9 year old Camry and do not miss it one bit (it was very reliable but BORING, yet the gas mileage was great). I can't rate the reliability yet, but so far I am very pleased, and no real quality issues to address, but I do agree that the Turbo is rather jerky at times and leaving from a stop light turning right it is jerky accelerating to get going, almost like I am driving a stick in a low gear (which I do not have the manual, and I have no need or desire to use the shifting option). The dealer really came down on the sticker price - I got the pricing below a comparable Honda CRV/or RAV4.

The Cabin is very quiet which I love. Very peppy, fast and fun. Very comfortable interior. I love the all black interior.

Turbo is rather jerky. Ipod integration could be more upscale. Prefer a larger gas tank, have to fill up every 300 miles.

Wish it was bigger but love the features
By Colorado Mtns

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I came from a Land Rover LR3 to a 2009 Tiguan. Love the same features of the Land Rover, but disappointed about the room inside. I have (2) dogs and cannot fit much else except them. Also cannot get over the fact there are no armrests in the middle, having to use the console seems odd. Also just ran over a nail on one of the tires and have to have it replaced. The 18" Pirelli's that are on the Tiguan are on national backorder - odd sized tire as well. Not sure if they are good snow tires from what I have researched on the Pirelli website. Gas mileage not what I expected, only averaging 21 mpg on the highway. Overall not quite sure I made the best choice. Should have stayed in my LR3

Navigation and that all of the controls are on the screen.

Armrests in the middle. More storage. Noisy on the hwy.

Great little car!
By Jeff

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded down from a full size SUV to the Tiguan one month ago and absolutely love it. Getting about 20 - 22 mpg in mostly city driving, so a really nice improvement from 13-14 previously. Car drives very sporty, plenty of room inside for a 6' 4'' driver with kids in the back seat. Styling and design are good. My kids like riding in this car better than the BMW 5 series.

The full size sun roof. Everyone who sees it loves it.

None so far.

flawed
By flawed

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

after 3900 miles, my EPC warning light appeared on the dash. Acceleration was lost and the car sporadically regained power, only to lose it again. A few days later the Engine Malfunction icon also appeared. The car is now destined for a few days in the shop.

Different exterior.

Turbo is rather jerky.

Past, Present but NOT future owner
By Peter

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Shame on us for not taking a closer look at the car during delivery, after we arrived home we noticed holes in the front bumper. Apparently the car was transferred from a dealer in a state that required front licence plates, in Michigan they are not required. First call was to the dealer - "sorry nothing we can do, but good news we do have a new bumper in stock if you would like to buy a replacement". Well, OK, then. So step two: call VW customer support. They happily assigned a "customer advocate" who called the following day. To quote: "sorry but this is an issue between you and the dealer, there is nothing we will do!" - WOW - what a great case study poor for customer support.

Style and Comfort

Customer Support It's unfortunate that VW/Audi has lost me and likley everyone I speak to regarding this issue as future customers.