Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Love it, but ...
By bix

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love driving this car, steering is very easy, automatic transmission comfy and economic, yet with nice acceleration. Baggage space is not so big, but in the interior, there is plenty of space for passengers, compared to vehicle size. What is bothering me is that not only human, but also martens enjoy this car as there is a plenty of space between the engine and car hood and martens keep biting pressure tubes from turbo. Yesterday I found that when accelerating slightly, a deep sound, like a short deep silent bang comes from under the engine.

Favorite Features

easy to drive, 4WD, comfortable, ascetic and practical interior design, good acceleration, drivetrain, on-snow performance

Suggested Improvements

biteproof engine tubes and cables, marten auto seek-and-destroy (fry that little gremlins dry), engine silencing

your dream small SUV is here !
By markt

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

a luxury car barely more expensive than a Japanese! the Tiguan has all the features me and my wife have been looking for, it got the looks and it is very practical. the 4Cyl turbocharged engine with the 6speed Tiptronic trans will give you the feel of driving a sport car all while being very easy on gas. the interior is very fancy and well designed, everything looks right at its place and nothing looks cheap. the downside to that is that it only uses premium gas, and its repairs are relatively higher than the regular American/Japanese car. so if you are looking for comfort, top safety and luxury, and power. i say the Tiguan is the way to go, because compered to it, the x3 looks overpriced.

Favorite Features

-cool original look -fancy/comfy/quiet inside -powerful engine -6 speed Tiptronic trans -good value for the money -easy handling and fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

-more exterior colors to chose from

6 Month Review
By NMar

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After researching what kind of SUV I wanted, I decided on the Tiguan. Happen to be in Florida on vac, they had a good deal, I bought and drove the car to New York. Drive was a lot of fun. Vehicle seems solid, firm ride. I get asked about it by passerbys. Brake is very responsive, quite interior. Some minor issues I do have: motorized driver reclining seat, but manual pump lever to elevate and move seat..why not motorize all, summer humidity seems to bring out a bad smell from air exhaust when it's not on a/c, engine is powerful, but there seems to be a delay in responsiveness when u go from braking to quickly accelerating, but then it eventually picks up when you press harder on the pedal

Favorite Features

I like the interior and exterior look, Good quality interior finish even with the cloth option, 6 mo free satellite radio, firm ride, minimal road noise, sturdy roof frame construction. SE was the better option for me since it came with many standards.

Suggested Improvements

Motorize all driver seat adjustment, not just back support. Do same on pass side. I need to investigate unpleasant humidity smell. I do wish the rear luggage compartment is a bit larger. Also, need to improve gas mileage a bit more. I do get 22mpg city which is ok, I guess.

Best option
By carlos

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got my 2009 Tig in may of 2008 before better deals were to be had. Oh well... I love the car itself. It has been great and I get complements on it all the time. People stop me to ask about it. I sometimes wish I would've splurged and gotten the one with the sunroof. The car is great in city and hwy and I'm amazed at how well it insulates outside noise. Feels very solid throughout. I agree with some comments about the black upholstery, it is a hair magnet. I had an issue with a faulty fuel pump which was quickly replaced under warranty. That's been the only issue I currently have 11K miles in the Tig.

Favorite Features

engine but the TDI (diesel) would be awseome

Suggested Improvements

none

The good, the bad, the ugly
By crd

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After one year... I love the power, handling and design of this car. I was looking for a sporty, fast cuv that could still accommodate a three year old and all that entails. This car does that. That being said, driving home from the dealer I noticed (it was at night) I could only see 3 ft ahead of me. Took car back to find lights were ill- positioned. 6 months later I had to get the fuel pump replaced. Already had to get burned out drivers head lamp replaced and there is an awful squeek inside that I can't seem to find/fix. I like the car but am wary about what to expect in year 2. Imo, quality is really lacking. I am thinking of trading it in already, which saddens me as it is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

handling/performance and unique look. love the full size sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

I hear it is feast or famine with VW's. I fear if I keep this car I am going to spend a lot of time at the dealer. Also the antenna is too tall so when I put car in the garage it scrapes. Just waiting for that to break off....