2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
A very happy Tiguan owner
By Katie on 04/02/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded up from a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. I researched cars for about 6 months prior to test-driving and this was one of my top pics. If you are thinking of purchasing a Honda CR-V or Toyota Rav-4, be sure to check out the Tiguan before making your final decision! Driving this car is a lot of fun! I was very impressed with the overall quality I got for the price.

Sweet Ride, Sweeter Deal
By TheDream14 on 04/01/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I think the positives of this vehicle have been covered pretty thoroughly to this point. For me, it was this or a CRV, and the deal I received from VW just crushed what Honda was willing to do. Sticker on my SE was 29,115. Final purchase price was 25,604. Both of the preceding figures are pretax. I put $2000 down and financed the remainder @ 0% for 60 months. Honda thought I was making stuff up, $3600 off MSRP plus 0% for 5 years. VW is definitely trying to move inventory, I guess Honda isn't desperate enough yet. I absolutely love the vehicle though, but I've only had it for a week so reliability is tough to judge at this point. Absolutely zero buyer's remorse to this point.

Lovin It!
By clj on 03/24/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This little SUV is awesome! Love the handling, great pick-up! Stylish and unique - I haven't seen another one on the road yet. Love it even more than my CRV - which I never thought possible. I got the base model (sunroofs get to hot in FL!), but my dealership upgraded me to leather seats. With the tinted windows and wood-trim kit, this ride is styling! People stop me all the time to ask about it!

VW's Best Kept Secret...
By frenchman on 03/22/09 21:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded my 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD ater 21K miles for this Tiguan SE 4motion because of the better features, ride, handling, acceleration, and build quality.The car is the best engineering product I have found in the market today for the money. VW truly is the best kept secret in terms of quality,features,value, and fun to drive.

Market leader in this class
By gpwykham on 03/08/09 04:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After much research on moving up from a zippy and efficient Mazda 3, and having test drove several competitors, the new Tiguan, stood out from the crowd. Am impressive array of features on the SE 4MOTION, sports-type handling, great vroom on the pedal, comfortable surrounds AND VW of America's 0% financing make this perhaps the best deal in America.

Like a GTI XL
By BCWatty on 02/10/09 17:29 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted a GTI but rear seat room was just too small. Manual transmission and higher ingress/egress makes this fit my desire for fun and my need for comfort. Would have preferred a manual transmission with the ability to also have nav, sunroof, heated seats and AWD, but VW did not give me that option. I have found base 'S' model's cloth seats do not get as cold as leather seats so I have not yet gone to the aftermarket for heated seats. It is more quiet than my BMW and Chevy Tahoe. It tracks well and has lots of storage cubbies, including a hidden one to the left of steering wheel. Drawers under the seats like the European models would have been nice. Bring on the TDI with a stick!

Our 2nd Tiguan
By Matt on 02/04/09 20:09 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is our 2nd Tiguan, which we picked up just in time to use the 4-Motion against New England snow. Incredible! Very sure-footed in this slop, & a real hoot to drive. The kids love the panoramic moon-roof... it is about as much exposure one can have to the sky without getting a convertible. The Tiguan's Xenon headlamps have peripheral sidelights which activate and illuminate the sides of the road whenever you make a turn. Very nice to have on twisting roads, sharp corners, dark parking lots, city streets, etc. The Tiguan is also a very quiet car for the small SUV/CUV segment. No high pitched whine & road-noise like I experienced with the Toyota RAV4 and CRV.

VW puts the "SPORT" back into SUV
By VW Fan Boston on 01/28/09 13:55 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We traded our beloved 2005 Jetta 2.5 for our Tiguan. I loved driving our Jetta, but I have to say the Tiguan is more fun to drive. You can get into trouble with the police zipping around with this SPORT utility. Fit and finish is great. I'm a big fan of VW's electric steering, very smooth. I like the nylon seats they warm up quick, very comfortable. Visibility is good. I enjoy the sunroof, can't wait for summer. AWD has been been great this winter.

Great car - can't go wrong
By Tiguan lover on 01/22/09 17:45 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the first Tiguan to hit Colorado in May. I have put 32000+K miles on it and I love it! I am in sales, drive 50+K miles per year and insist on being comfortable. It is such a fun car to drive but I have picked up 2 speeding tickets since purchasing the car. The sunroof is great!! 6 cd stereo is great!! When I use Super gas I get 28+mpg - it drops to 23mpg when I cheap out on the gas. Stock tires are not so great - I already need a new set. The car has a tendency to slide in the snow even with AWD - breaks do need to be checked. Upgrade from the "Sports Cloth" seats - I wish I had been warned that the cloth shows EVERYTHING and dog hair does not come off.

7 months later and still in love
By Jboogaloo on 01/13/09 11:20 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

An update to my original post in June of 08. This car is still doing everything I expect and then some. I have used premium since day 1 and haven't thought different. This car still gets me roughly 26-27mpg (goin 70mph down the highway), I still love the comfort of the automobile (drove to Myrtle Beach and back from DC, and was very comfortable with 3 other adults, luggage, and 2 golf bags). The style is still cool and I don't regret one thing about this car. The quality is great, the ride is smooth, and its still fun for me. There is ample storage space (I don't have sunroof) and its VERY safe (read the safety ratings that came out last year and see who was on top). Great car, I love it!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$117 per month*