Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

1 CUTE UTE!!!
By Poojo

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first VW! So far it has been a pleasure to own and drive..I usually trade at least once a year...I think I've owned just about every brand out there..had the Honda CRV & the Toy RAV-4..(BIG YAWN), thought I would try the TIGUAN. Exciting! This is a keeper..So far, I don't have any reason to trade it off! Husband loves the Turbo 2.0. and the 2wd does good in snow. Getting 24 Mpg mixed driving.

Favorite Features

Wild Cherry Color, Turbo engine is very quick, Interior quality, Ext. Styling, Quiet ride, Excellent handling. Heated cloth seats! Sun-Roof

Suggested Improvements

Nothing big..Homelink would be nice on SE. Arm rest on doors should be leather like center console, so they are easier to keep clean.

My Last VW
By hsk15kaol

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From the start I knew we were in serious trouble. Our first problems started less than one week from delivery and they have gone on from then. To list it... Bad sensor in trans, missing parts under front end, gas pedal got stuck under center console trim (VW has no answer on this one, almost killed us!) Power window modulator failure, doors that do not close correctly, and the list goes on. We do not use the panoramic sunroof as it has failed twice and the dealership claims it is fine... okay, right on! Many issues come and go, and it is horrible in the cold and all around a clunker! BEWARE, it is a VW and they are no as reliable as they were... We have owned 10, and this is our last!

Favorite Features

Great looks, Great Small CUV with the most legroom in the back seat of any car or SUV in its class. Sadly that is all the good we can find.....

Suggested Improvements

Bring the quality back that VW were known for, my brothers VW Passat wagon TDI is going on 200K, I will be happy to see this one go ASAP! Seems that every VW we have owned since early 2000 has been less reliable and more troublesome. Maint cost are out of this world! Way too costly to own.

Fantastic CUV
By simshawk

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After 17k miles, and 1+ years on the road, I am still loving this vehicle. Great performance, excellent braking /handling, and fantastic ride. Gas mileage could better, but I have a bit of a heavy foot. Elderly friend said it was smoother and quieter than her Lincoln. Wife likes it as much as her daily driver, BMW 328i. Passengers are continually amazed at the rear seat roominess. An absolute blast to drive, a GTI with room for hunting and fishing gear...

Favorite Features

Love the performance of the 2.0T. Excellent handling, Interior / exterior design, simple and functional, yet classy. Exceptionally smooth/quiet ride, seat comfort, entry and exit, 6cd stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Improve Structural Stiffness, all the door seals creak when going over uneven road surfaces. Windshield wipers are terrible in the winter, always icing up. TDI Diesel... Move rear seat folding mechanisms to the rear of vehicle.

Awesome CUV! Can't find a better match!
By Dat

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Gotta write a review for this one. This car has a very nice firm ride, sporty look inside out. I love that big 13 cu. in. moonroof, gotta have it. It makes the car more open, airy, and relax while cruising. The 18 in. wheels are hot. Nice xenon headlights; it uses the same xenon lights as DRL (daytime running light). Quiet interior. Feel roomy inside with well designed spaces. It actually about 1 foot shorter in length than a 09 Honda Accord coupe, surprising!? Engine power is adequate; wish that it came with DSG transmission; and eventually TDI engine? Bluetooth is standard on 2010 models, but not 09! :( Dynaudio system w/ 600 watt upgraded for the 2010 models w/ 2 extra speakers.

Favorite Features

Ride, quietness, big moonroof, good feel and look inside out, 18 in. wheels, xenon headlights. Touchscreen navigation, back-up camera, greenish tinted glasses.

Suggested Improvements

Need Homelink buttons as standard or option. I need to find an aftermarket Homelink. Need to improve the smart key with comfort access and push-start button. It still has a turn-key ignition, a little outdated don't you think??

Strong, Not comfortable,dials difficult
By Michael

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

It's a nice looking car, you just need to improve the cushioning in the seating and back, the radio is very difficult to read in the dark, and the red lights for the dash are difficult. But, it drives into the mountains, and through them nicely. It also does well so far in the city. A number of men and women have said it's a nice looking vehicle.

Favorite Features

You used good leather, also you used stronger materials for the dash. Heated seats are nice for wife.

Suggested Improvements

Make the dash with better colors for dials and radio, you can't read them with the hard red, Thank You. The Radio really needs help with it's color on screen. Blue, with just barely there lettering , is difficult in the night.