2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Great value, Fun to drive CUV
By MAD63 on 08/03/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Build quality and performance are on the top of my list. Reliablity, we'll see as time goes on but at this point everything is spot on with the Tiguan. Surprisingly nimble, although the Michilein tires on the S model are not up to the handling capabilities of the chassis. At 6'4" comfort is not a problem in this CUV, good leg and head room, cargo capacity is as expected but much more than my sports sedan I traded in. Interior materials, seats dash and carpets are very good quality as are fit and finish of the exterior. Color match on the rear fascia is slightly off color for the White Gold but not enough to complain over.

SUPERIOR VEHICLE
By DAVID on 07/09/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Moving from larger suv but wanted all its features minus size. This suv fits the bill. Excellent fit and finish. The 4-cylinder turbo is the best of its class. The ride is stiff but ergonomically sound. The Tiguan has highest rating on all categories of safety including roof strength by the IIHS. Interior is thoughtfully planned out. You pay more for this vehicle versus the other small suvs out there but you get more.

Class winner HANDS DOWN (are you tall?)
By Diggity on 07/08/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

IMO the tiguan wins Best in Class. It is the ONLY vehicle in comparison that Ive found comfortable, font and back for tall people. Im 6'4 and the Tig is the sweetest ride Ive tested outside of the full sized SUVs. Editors seem to only have two complaints - the price tag is higher and it has marginally less cargo space. I cant argue the sticker - but lets be honest. Yes, that will sacrifice 2MPG, but the solid acceleration and grip on the road is the benefit. Cargo space? If the difference is that important you should probably be looking at the full sized. Great VW !

Georgeous Car
By Bevmo on 06/30/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I moved up from a compact car to a compact SUV to accommodate my growing family and deal with the decaying CA roads. The Tiguan is right-sized for urban life in the Bay Area, quite compact exterior for nimble driving and parking, but a very spacious interior. In comparison, Rav4 and CRV are weird/dull/dated. I had hopes for the Forester but the interior was extremely cheap - read the reviews. The Tiguan is in a class of its own for build quality, design, and driving experience. More expensive yes but better value as I will be enjoying this for many years. The 2.0T engine is fantastic, I feel I have the GTI from my youth wrapped in a responsible family package with all safety features.

The car to have!
By J. Salcedo on 06/23/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have the SE level with the sunroof. There is no words to describe how fun to drive this car can be. The quality of materials is obvious along with the beauty of designs. Pick up is amazing and smooth and the suspension is the perfect combination between sport and sedan. Not only were the dealers at VW ready to deal, the financing was great. I get compliments on this car all the time, people stare at it on the road too. I am very happy I purchased a car that is not ubiquitous and that allows me the freedom to enjoy rides with the sunroof fully open.

Fine car
By balaji on 06/15/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Top class car. Refined, precise and hi tech. Options may add up the price. Very powerful, fast and agile. 4 motion is awesome. Interior is incredibly classy. There is simply no comparison to this car at this time.

Driving it for a month so far
By writergeeknh on 06/11/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first SUV. I agonized over it because of the mpg. I needed a bigger vehicle, but something smaller than the CRV/RAV4 - also with a nicer interior. I tried to love the CRV because my Civic was such a good car, but couldn't. VW is built much better. The steering freaked me out a bit at first but I'm getting used to it. I don't understand why at times it feels disconnected from the car. It does drive like a car and I like the boost from the turbo engine. Headlights from larger vehicles no longer shine in my rear view mirror or to be deluged by water when larger vehicles would pass me on wet highways. Hopefully my love will continue to grow and I'll feel better about getting such low mpg.

Fuel Problem/Engine lights on
By Norm on 06/06/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My car is only a moth old and they already replace gas cap due to engine light on. After a few months later another problem occur fuel gauge not working & showing fuel tank not full. Number on the dash board keep changing and not accurate.

Cruisin' in my Tiguan
By LianaB on 05/27/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded my 07 Altima SL in for this car and so far so good. I wish it had a few more bells and whistles for the price tag but other than that it's great. It's a little bit tight on interior space but for right now it's a good fit for my family of 4. Seating is comfy, has a descent stock stereo system with an ipod adapter. I got mine with the 3 years of free maintenance which will save me a few hundred. Overall I'm happy with this car.

Most fun to drive CUV under $35K
By newjerseyguy on 04/12/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

It's no GTI, but for a CUV it is the best out there in its price range. Handling and composure on all road surfaces is excellent. Not skittish like the RAV4 V6, and better gas mileage than the Acura RDX. Fit and finish is better than the Honda CRV. Comfortable and quiet interior, controls are simple and in the right places. The 2.0T motor is smooth and refined with plenty of kick when you need it. And don't be put off by the high MSRP as large discounts can be had. Flemington VW was awesome, with no pressure and knowledgeable salespeople.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$117 per month*