2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
I will not get another VW again -
By jaypc6711 on 07/05/11 13:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

As a prior VW fan (4 times) ..It was with great regret I had to report back to Edmunds how shoddy I thought the Tiguan 2009 model was. I see we're well into the 2011 timeframe now and newer versions are out, however, problems still persist. Sure, the service teams get it taken care of and paperwork is smoothed over. Driving it out of the dealership on Day 1 was pure bliss, but one seriously short-lived. The issue is with engine / instrumentation and vehicle performance. I had multiple Electronic Power Steering and Engine checklights appear during the past 2 years recently towed back by VW. I would be hard-pressed to get another VW

DO NOT BUY - LEMON
By dontbuytiguan on 06/02/11 22:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is the biggest lemon i have ever purchased at 44000 miles i have had to spend over 2000 dollars in non warranty computer repairs on the car is still not fixed correctly. I am giving the car back early cause i am afraid of how much more this car will cost me if i keep it the last 8 months of my lease. I would rather give the car back and pay off the eat the rest of the lease. Do not buy

Best Vehicle I have owned
By cpogordon on 05/05/11 09:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my Tiguan since October 2008 and have never had a problem. The 2.0 Turbo engine is fantastic and gives you the acceleration you need when you push down on the gas pedal. The transmission is smooth and both the interior and exterior are built with quality materials. This is the best vehicle I have owned in my over 30 years of driving. In addition, I was T-boned by a driver who ran a Red light doing 30 – 40 mph who crash strait into my driver’s door and walked away without a scratch due to the safety features and quality build of the Tiguan. As to people who complain about pulsating brakes during hard braking – that’s call Antilock brakes. Also, if you have a sunroof you need to close it when it rains. That will cut down on your mold problems.

Lots of issues with the tiguan
By lbrosco on 04/02/11 21:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I want to start out by saying I am glad I found this site, because after reading most of the posts on here I realize I am not alone. Normally I don't post to sites like this but if this stuff helps somebody else going through what I am going through then it's worth it. I bought my car in Arizona in november of 2009 so I have owned it for 1 yr 4 1/2 mths. I will list the problems I have incurred so far. By the way I now live in northern California and I have apprx 30,000 miles. Satellite radio always says linking Back up camera gets stuck Drivers side cornering light went out Brakes jerk when stopping abruptly even at slower speed Emergency brake sticks Burns out cell phone chargers- gone through 5 oem Sensor had to be replaced. Mold inside my car! For the past few months we have been getting a lot of rain in northern California. I have noticed a lot of moisture on the inside of my car, mainly on the windows. I have to dry it every morning with a towel. It would be too much for a defroster to handle. I didn't think anything of it other than it being a pain in the butt. This morning I noticed mold growing underneath all 4 of my floor mats. I removed them from my car and wiped down the carpets with resolve carpet cleaner. I wasn't able to get it all because it is growing under the seats as well. This is a huge problem for me because I am allergic to mold. I have broken out in hives and didn't realize that was the cause.

Vehicle Rollover Safety
By Tiguan Rollover on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just FYI: Purchased this vehicle for my wife; last week she was side-swiped by a taxi. Car rolled over on one side (driver's side), then righted itself and landed on top of a third vehicle with 2 wheels in the air. The build on the vehicle saved her life; without the driver's side airbags, my wife would be gone!!! Insurance is replacing the vehicle, and I'm getting her a Tiguan again. Thank goodness for VW!!!

POOR PERFORMANCE ENGINE
By N H on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From the start witht he purchase of this vehicle I have had nothing but issues. First the dealship messed up the paperwork and we were called back in at least 3 times. NOW after a year old the engine just stopped on the PA turnpike, stranded me there for 3 days. The dealer said that the fuel injector ALREADY needs to be replaced! VW left us out there with no help! They said because I was over my warranty by a 1000 miles. Nice 1st time I have ever bought a VW and will be the last! MY GM car's never gave me issues like this in such a new car. Oh and CD's get caught in the CD player, it grinds, but maintenance said it's ok!!

Fuel Injectors
By Tiguan on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car, needing a small SUV for work and had a lot of problems. Since January, its been in the dealership 6 times with fuel injector problems....all under warranty but its getting really frustrating. The last time it was in the dealership, all the fuel injectors were completely replaced and we were hoping that the problem would be solved. Earlier this week- it was the same, driving and the check engine light comes on, then it shakes and acts like its choking, then it dies and gets towed into the dealership.

Tiguan Review at over 48,000 miles
By Butch on 08/09/10 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have had this car for over two years and have driven it over 48,000 miles and have had only one problem. The right front head light assembly. The mechanic wrote it up as a problem of the internal mechanical malfunction of the headlight assembly. Other than that our Tiguan has been a pleasure to own and drive.

They Leak - Severe Mold/Mildew Issues
By John Gillis on 08/02/10 13:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

OK, the Tiguan is a beautiful vehicle. Performance, handling and finish are best in class. However I have had a serious problem develop in mine, that is related to poor build quality. Mine leaks. Water was entering through back doors and seemingly the front fire wall. This precipitated and extremely bad mildew infestation and the car become undrivable. It is currently with the dealer, after 4 weeks, and they still cannot get rid of the mildew odor. Carpet, underlay, cushions, the works has been infected with this smell (spores). So if you are buying this car be very careful. Car has not been fixed. I have requested it be replaced as it is a very serious health issue.

Tiguan tiger and iguana for real
By daniel on 08/02/10 01:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The tiger represents the speed of this car. Iguana for the luxury and smoothness. Amazing car. I think this is the best car I have ever owned I can't even tell you how much this car has impressed me

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$118 per month*