Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Just another SUV I suppose
By Xyrius

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I suppose I had higher expectations since my other vehicles are classy sedans or coupes. Going from a sedan or coupe to one of these SUVs is not something a "driver" would be happy with. It's great for tossing large objects into, but even then, a minivan is better suited to people that want to haul stuff, including people. Otherwise, it's just another "L" on wheels.

Favorite Features

Nie engine, I like the VW 2.0T a lot

Suggested Improvements

None, there's not much you can do with an SUV from the looks dept., but overall it's good to beat up on.

LOOK GOOD - drives great!
By barry3k

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I researched a number of crossovers. Ford Edge, Mazda cx-7, audi q5, nissan rouge, toyota venza, ford escape, saturn vue, honda crv. The Tiguan was the one that gave me the best value, the best handling, free scheduled maintenance, and VW reputation. The back seat is comfortable for adults to ride. The cargo space is awesome.

Favorite Features

It handles like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

Lovin' my Tigger
By docnugget

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle is awesome. The drive is very tight for its class and the appointments are similar to my Passat 4-motion wagon. The 4-motion is a definite plus and the ride is superb. It is definitely not a car for the everyday Joe or Jane and thats the way my wife and I like it. I can't imagine a 200 HP Rogue, Rav4, or CRV. I feel this vehicle sits similarly to a land rover but with a lower, more stable center of gravity. There are no unnecessary and gaudy amenities which would push up the price for many other makes. Plus, its a VW and you can't touch that. I do wish that a diesel version was available but I'll just have to wait, hope, and wish for the 2011 model to be a TDI.

Favorite Features

gas mileage is great. I swear, they were way off on the sticker.

Suggested Improvements

diesel, diesel, diesel, Diesel! I want a TDI of this car too. P.S. Get rid of that gas guzzler Toureg from the lineup or do a redesign so it fits better with the VW philosophy and fleet.

6 Weeks and Very Happy
By Rob 110

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Tiguan after several months of looking at small SUV's. Each time I kept coming back to the Tiguan. I thought I would get a CRV, but the power isn't there and there are far too many on the road. I wanted to like the Acura RDX as an Acura TL owner. While I liked it, the gas mileage (poor) and cost (high) prevented the deal. The Ford Escape Hybrid just didn't have the fit and finish. The Tiguan was the best bet for me: good value, my bike fit inside, still somewhat uncommon on the road, nice looking, and just a great all around package. Six weeks into it and I still love it as much as the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is much better than the sticker shows. I am getting 22 mixed driving and consistently getting 30 on the freeway. The interior is nice and the cargo area is good with the seats down. Exterior styling is strong. Overall VW quality seems good so far.

Suggested Improvements

The standard radio speakers have poor sound quality. The radio screen is nearly impossible to read day or night. iPod interface has limited functionality, but still glad to have it.

THE BEST VALUE IS SMALL SUV
By VEGAS TIGUAN

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven 30,000 miles in the deserts of Las Vegas and get 22 -23 MPG aroung town and 26 - 28 on the highway. I have had the services done and am sitting at the dealer having the 30 mile service performed as I write this. Th rear brakes need to be changed at $270 and the front are still 80%. All the tires are still good. 30,000 miles and the front brakes are at 80%, this is awesome. Look up brakes on the Toureg and you will see every 15k to 20k miles at 4 times the cost of the Tiguan. This SUV has been flawless, you cannot go wrong. I test drove the CRV and love the looks, however, the interior seemed cheap and the ride was not as quite. I cannot praise the vehicle enough.

Favorite Features

30K miles front brakes at 80% new $270 for the rears. Thats awesome! MPG for a nice riding SUV is respectable.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo Diesel at 40 MPG would be nice.