Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

I so wanted to love it...
By ekdot9@gmail.com

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car drives like a dream. It is the peppiest little car in its class; however, at 88,000 miles it is a money pit. I am so sad to get rid of this car. It is stylish and performs, but I have poured more than $4k into in in 3 years and I am now facing needing to replace the engine because there is no compression. There were no warnings- just kabam. I will NEVER buy another VW.

My best driving car ever... but I can't keep it
By Daryl N.

I love driving this car... I've even posted glowing reviews on Facebook about how great it drives on the open highway, on twisting roads, and in the city. But, at 89,000 miles, I've spent more money on maintenance than I spent in 250,000 miles on my last car, a Toyota Camry. Unfortunately, the tales of woe on Edmunds seem to be true.... replaced the intake manifold, replaced a door handle, had many lights burn out, replaced water pump, thermostat, and cooling fans. And a few other things. Check engine light is glowing about 20% of the time. I'm very sad about needing to give up on this car, but I can't imagine the coming problems if I hold onto it. It might work out OK for those who drive fewer miles but I need my car for some long distance trips. Ultimately, reliability trumps performance. VW really needs to deal with this. I'll never buy another one.

Very good car
By george

I bought this car skeptical but this car has really proved its self to me and my wife. Every day at least 50 miles a day this car is a work horse this car is amazingly fun to drive I have bought other SUV in my lifetime and never one like this. I thought it would have many electrical problems but none I would highly recommend this car to anyone that has a family or one thats going to last.

heated seats and panoramic sunroof

none

The good, the bad, the ugly
By crd

After one year... I love the power, handling and design of this car. I was looking for a sporty, fast cuv that could still accommodate a three year old and all that entails. This car does that. That being said, driving home from the dealer I noticed (it was at night) I could only see 3 ft ahead of me. Took car back to find lights were ill- positioned. 6 months later I had to get the fuel pump replaced. Already had to get burned out drivers head lamp replaced and there is an awful squeek inside that I can't seem to find/fix. I like the car but am wary about what to expect in year 2. Imo, quality is really lacking. I am thinking of trading it in already, which saddens me as it is fun to drive.

handling/performance and unique look. love the full size sunroof!

I hear it is feast or famine with VW's. I fear if I keep this car I am going to spend a lot of time at the dealer. Also the antenna is too tall so when I put car in the garage it scrapes. Just waiting for that to break off....

• SUV