Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Great if you only want to lease it but don’t keep
By mike z

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2009 Tiguan. It was a great car until it hit 55,000 miles. First the Freon leaked out due to a faulty pressure switch. A few months later the check engine light came on indicating a cylinder misfire. Dealer said it was due to carbon on the valves and it needed an $800.00 service. Shortly after that the front crankcase seal went. Total for the 2 repairs $1423.11 for a car with 66,000 miles on it. From reading other comments on the internet this is a common occurrence for this vehicle.

Lots of Problems...where do I start?
By John Q Public

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the car as 2009 certified. It was great for about a month or so and then a coil went bad. OK, no biggie, $50 co-pay and i'm good to go. Next, the car starts to overheat when the AC is on. I bring it in, they can't find anything wrong, I drive it, it gets hot, I bring it back, etc. Eventually they replace one of the fans. Then the other fan. Then the water pump, then the radiator. OK, that seems to do it. But then, what is that moldy smell and why is there an inch of water on the floor boards? OMG, there is mold growing under all of the floor mats. Turns out the sunroof drain tubes had separated and the water poured into the cabin. Just waiting for the other show to drop now.

Love my Little Tiggi
By cpalafox

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car with 20k miles, and have put 10k in the 2 months I've had it.
And i'm happy to report that I have not had any issues with it.
Only problem I have is the squeeky/grinding of the brakes. or rattling when I suddenly step on them.
It came with a navigation system that was installed by the first owner and it irritates me.
radio wont come on when I want, cant hook up my ipod or hear music from my phone on pandora.
And the fact that the radio shuts down and tells me "I am going over the speed limit kills me!!

But overall I'm happy with it..

I love my car, just the right size for me and my 2 growing boys..

brakes?? what's up with the grinding of brand new brakes??/ even after dealer said everything is according to Manufactory

So Many Problems!!!!
By cap723

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am just ending my 4 year lease and I have had so many issues with this car that have added up.
Although the look of the car is very nice and it's fun to drive and I never had any major mechanical problems - I still had issue after issue with this car.

A few weeks after I drove it off the lot the guage that showed how much gas I had in my tank was broken.
I had to take it back twice for them to fix it.
Since then my radio just goes off when it wants, the back-up camera stopped working, I had to get new tires and breaks, there is a horrible moisture problem and it always smells like mold, the AC doesn't come out cold .it goes on!I would stay away from this car ulnless you want a heacache

DO NOT BUY - LEMON
By dontbuytiguan

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is the biggest lemon i have ever purchased at 44000 miles i have had to spend over 2000 dollars in non warranty computer repairs on the car is still not fixed correctly. I am giving the car back early cause i am afraid of how much more this car will cost me if i keep it the last 8 months of my lease. I would rather give the car back and pay off the eat the rest of the lease. Do not buy

DO NOT BUY