Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Better build than our BMW!
By maltlover20

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Over 3 years now with our 2009 Canadian Highline model Tiguan, and we still love it. 48K kms and no problems. Took a road trip in June through the Rocky mountains and got awesome fuel economy! Winter driving we swap out our 18inch rims for 16inch aluminum ones with Gislavid winter tires (from Finland) and can plow through snow that the bottom of the chassis is dragging on. It takes 5 days after a major snowfall before the County plows our road, and we have alread had one dump of 35 centimetres and last week another 25cm.

Quiet ride and great handling. Heated leather seats and mirrors. Sirius radio when in the mountains. No nav system, we have the 6 pack CD instead and a Tomtom! Adaptive Bi-Zenon headlights that turn with the steering when on high beam. Love the manual shifting on the transmission when we negotiating steep back roads in the mountains, being able to gear down save wear on the brakes.

Jury still out
By msul

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love (d) this car until it stranded me on a highway in France for no reason at all. 15,000 miles on the car and after driving 900 miles in two days it just stopped on a bridge 10 minutes from our destination. Now, the French VW dealership has had my car for 3 days and has no idea what the issue is. Who knows what the outcome will be, but service from VW is definitely lacking. Doesn't help that the French work 9-5 with a two hour break in the middle of the day either. Now I have spent most of my vacation on the phone trying to get this resolved before Friday comes since they don't work on weekends.

Lots of issues with the tiguan
By lbrosco

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I want to start out by saying I am glad I found this site, because after reading most of the posts on here I realize I am not alone. Normally I don't post to sites like this but if this stuff helps somebody else going through what I am going through then it's worth it. I bought my car in Arizona in november of 2009 so I have owned it for 1 yr 4 1/2 mths. I will list the problems I have incurred so far. By the way I now live in northern California and I have apprx 30,000 miles. Satellite radio always says linking Back up camera gets stuck Drivers side cornering light went out Brakes jerk when stopping abruptly even at slower speed Emergency brake sticks Burns out cell phone chargers- gone through 5 oem Sensor had to be replaced. Mold inside my car! For the past few months we have been getting a lot of rain in northern California. I have noticed a lot of moisture on the inside of my car, mainly on the windows. I have to dry it every morning with a towel. It would be too much for a defroster to handle. I didn't think anything of it other than it being a pain in the butt. This morning I noticed mold growing underneath all 4 of my floor mats. I removed them from my car and wiped down the carpets with resolve carpet cleaner. I wasn't able to get it all because it is growing under the seats as well. This is a huge problem for me because I am allergic to mold. I have broken out in hives and didn't realize that was the cause.

Cornering lights Sunroof Design

Fixing the known issues

Tiguan tiger and iguana for real
By daniel

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The tiger represents the speed of this car. Iguana for the luxury and smoothness. Amazing car. I think this is the best car I have ever owned I can't even tell you how much this car has impressed me

High-End Utilitarian Simplicity
By Happa

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I picked up a 2009 SEL with Nav and the panoramic roof and I love it. After years of driving "luxory" AWD vehicles I was looking to simplify ... but didn't want to sacrifice the quality I had grown accustomed to. The SEL Tig was a perfect fit ... simple interior but top notch quality (no cheap plastic dashboards here), comfortable, tight as a drum, good Nav, incredible sunroof, and no real lack of "toys" (bluetooth, backup camera, etc.). I have driven Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti (my last three vehiles in that order) ... and I am VERY happy to be driving the Tiguan now.

Navigation, Panoramic Sunroof, Driving position

Add the options for HomeLink and voice activated bluetooth and navigation (currently not voice activated features)