Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

HUNK OF JUNK
By Al Carl

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Tiguan used in 2012 and it only had 20k miles on it. Now I'm pushing 90k miles and sadly I still owe 6K.

It all started in September when the timing chain mysteriously jumped, basically destroying the top end of the motor.

The VW dealership fixed all that for 5.3k. I complained so loudly to VW of America they actually sent me a check for 2K because they know their car is a lemon. Even the guys at my dealership in Topeka, Kansas are saying "oh yes, these Tiguan engines have a lot of problems" Thanks Captain Obvious!

6 weeks after that disaster the transmission fluid cooler springs a leak, draining all the fluid, and destroying the transmission. No dash lights came on! That was another 25 hundred including a deal on a junk yard tranny and a hook up with a local mechanic, not the dealership.

I tried to get VW of American to pony up some money to help with the transmission. Their response: "We made one good will payment for the last problem, we won't be doing it again."

Now there's an oil leak. Dave at VW & BMW of Topeka tells me that the crank case vent valve went bad causing the rear main seal to blow out spewing oil all over the undercarriage of the car and on any parking spot I use. That's another 18hundred. Not under warranty. A terrible car. A bad experience. Never VW again. Ever.

DO NOT BUY A TIGUAN!!MONEY PITS
By whitney

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car used a month ago and I wish I did my homework before buying this car.We have owned it for little of a month and have put in $1100 for a seat belt sensor and now it is again at vw for breaking down on us for a time chain that broke that was fixed 10 months ago.Time Chains are very expensive and should last well over 100,000 miles on a car not 8,000 miles 10 months ago.I have owned many vw and this one is unbelievable.I will never again buy a vw very unhappy with vw of america and vw customer service.We have owned it for a month and have already put well over $4000 into it.

Very disappointed!!
By Josue Lopez

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

One of the worst Volkswagens I have ever driven. A car with less than 70k miles had to get a new engines, throttle issues, oil leak issue, and much more. I have never had any issue with other makers such as Toyota and Nissan. I highly do not recommend this vehicle or anything else from VW please do not purchase VW it so unreliable.

Focus on reliability and not the look.

Fuel injector issues/money pit
By brokenvw

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

16 fuel injectors..3 throttle bodies... Nonstop breakdowns.
Google Tiguan fuel injectors and you will not buy.
Dangerous erratic acceleration out pf the blue when it breaks.

Turbo

Fuel injectors that dont leak every 20000km

Stay far away
By georgeste

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love driving this car but...
I'm the second owner since 63000km
16 fuel injectors and 3 bad throttle bodies later I have decided that I'm done with constant breakdowns.
For sale