2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Fuel injector issues/money pit
By brokenvw on 01/12/14 14:12 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

16 fuel injectors..3 throttle bodies... Nonstop breakdowns. Google Tiguan fuel injectors and you will not buy. Dangerous erratic acceleration out pf the blue when it breaks.

Stay far away
By georgeste on 01/07/14 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love driving this car but... I'm the second owner since 63000km 16 fuel injectors and 3 bad throttle bodies later I have decided that I'm done with constant breakdowns. For sale 1 tiguan 123000km

They Leak - Severe Mold/Mildew Issues
By John Gillis on 08/02/10 13:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

OK, the Tiguan is a beautiful vehicle. Performance, handling and finish are best in class. However I have had a serious problem develop in mine, that is related to poor build quality. Mine leaks. Water was entering through back doors and seemingly the front fire wall. This precipitated and extremely bad mildew infestation and the car become undrivable. It is currently with the dealer, after 4 weeks, and they still cannot get rid of the mildew odor. Carpet, underlay, cushions, the works has been infected with this smell (spores). So if you are buying this car be very careful. Car has not been fixed. I have requested it be replaced as it is a very serious health issue.

Fun to Drive
By VW in Colorado on 05/12/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

On the day of the 2nd anniversary of buying this car I turned over 72,000 miles - so we have had a lot of experience with this car. This car is fun to drive and the sunroof is great! The Tiguan displays a lot of info on the dash and every month there is something that needs to be serviced or looked at. If you take the car to anyone other than the dealership then the warning light will not be reset. You will still have to go to the dealership or it will bing at you every time you start the car and the warning light will be on. Most of the bells and warning lights are annoying and not major defects. Due to the constant high maintenance on this car - I will not purchase another VW.

On the Mark
By dman on 03/05/10 09:55 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We owned a 2008 Toure for 1.5 years and we love the Tiguan even more ... here are the reasons: 1) Practicality - smaller but not to small to hold 5 adults and luggage! Great gas mileage for SUV 2) Free 3 year maintenance program 3) Overall fun to drive and cost of ownership

My Last VW
By hsk15kaol on 01/18/10 23:43 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From the start I knew we were in serious trouble. Our first problems started less than one week from delivery and they have gone on from then. To list it... Bad sensor in trans, missing parts under front end, gas pedal got stuck under center console trim (VW has no answer on this one, almost killed us!) Power window modulator failure, doors that do not close correctly, and the list goes on. We do not use the panoramic sunroof as it has failed twice and the dealership claims it is fine... okay, right on! Many issues come and go, and it is horrible in the cold and all around a clunker! BEWARE, it is a VW and they are no as reliable as they were... We have owned 10, and this is our last!

Love it, but ...
By bix on 11/02/09 01:28 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love driving this car, steering is very easy, automatic transmission comfy and economic, yet with nice acceleration. Baggage space is not so big, but in the interior, there is plenty of space for passengers, compared to vehicle size. What is bothering me is that not only human, but also martens enjoy this car as there is a plenty of space between the engine and car hood and martens keep biting pressure tubes from turbo. Yesterday I found that when accelerating slightly, a deep sound, like a short deep silent bang comes from under the engine.

Lovin' my Tigger
By docnugget on 08/22/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle is awesome. The drive is very tight for its class and the appointments are similar to my Passat 4-motion wagon. The 4-motion is a definite plus and the ride is superb. It is definitely not a car for the everyday Joe or Jane and thats the way my wife and I like it. I can't imagine a 200 HP Rogue, Rav4, or CRV. I feel this vehicle sits similarly to a land rover but with a lower, more stable center of gravity. There are no unnecessary and gaudy amenities which would push up the price for many other makes. Plus, its a VW and you can't touch that. I do wish that a diesel version was available but I'll just have to wait, hope, and wish for the 2011 model to be a TDI.

Zippy little ride
By maverick1112 on 08/19/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

All in all very happy with this new purchase, coming from a BMW I have high expectations but I was surprised with how much I liked this CUV. Has enough pep on the highway with the added turbo that I don't realize it's only a 4 cyl. Interior is very classy and comfortable, definitely has a luxury feel!

SUPERIOR VEHICLE
By DAVID on 07/09/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Moving from larger suv but wanted all its features minus size. This suv fits the bill. Excellent fit and finish. The 4-cylinder turbo is the best of its class. The ride is stiff but ergonomically sound. The Tiguan has highest rating on all categories of safety including roof strength by the IIHS. Interior is thoughtfully planned out. You pay more for this vehicle versus the other small suvs out there but you get more.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$115 per month*