2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Love my Little Tiggi
By cpalafox on 05/29/12 17:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car with 20k miles, and have put 10k in the 2 months I've had it. And i'm happy to report that I have not had any issues with it. Only problem I have is the squeeky/grinding of the brakes. or rattling when I suddenly step on them. It came with a navigation system that was installed by the first owner and it irritates me. radio wont come on when I want, cant hook up my ipod or hear music from my phone on pandora. And the fact that the radio shuts down and tells me "I am going over the speed limit kills me!! But overall I'm happy with it..

So Many Problems!!!!
By cap723 on 04/18/12 17:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am just ending my 4 year lease and I have had so many issues with this car that have added up. Although the look of the car is very nice and it's fun to drive and I never had any major mechanical problems - I still had issue after issue with this car. A few weeks after I drove it off the lot the guage that showed how much gas I had in my tank was broken. I had to take it back twice for them to fix it. Since then my radio just goes off when it wants, the back-up camera stopped working, I had to get new tires and breaks, there is a horrible moisture problem and it always smells like mold, the AC doesn't come out cold .it goes on!I would stay away from this car ulnless you want a heacache

DO NOT BUY - LEMON
By dontbuytiguan on 06/02/11 22:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is the biggest lemon i have ever purchased at 44000 miles i have had to spend over 2000 dollars in non warranty computer repairs on the car is still not fixed correctly. I am giving the car back early cause i am afraid of how much more this car will cost me if i keep it the last 8 months of my lease. I would rather give the car back and pay off the eat the rest of the lease. Do not buy

Tiguan Review at over 48,000 miles
By Butch on 08/09/10 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have had this car for over two years and have driven it over 48,000 miles and have had only one problem. The right front head light assembly. The mechanic wrote it up as a problem of the internal mechanical malfunction of the headlight assembly. Other than that our Tiguan has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Awesome CUV! Can't find a better match!
By Dat on 11/21/09 09:43 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Gotta write a review for this one. This car has a very nice firm ride, sporty look inside out. I love that big 13 cu. in. moonroof, gotta have it. It makes the car more open, airy, and relax while cruising. The 18 in. wheels are hot. Nice xenon headlights; it uses the same xenon lights as DRL (daytime running light). Quiet interior. Feel roomy inside with well designed spaces. It actually about 1 foot shorter in length than a 09 Honda Accord coupe, surprising!? Engine power is adequate; wish that it came with DSG transmission; and eventually TDI engine? Bluetooth is standard on 2010 models, but not 09! :( Dynaudio system w/ 600 watt upgraded for the 2010 models w/ 2 extra speakers.

Georgeous Car
By Bevmo on 06/30/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I moved up from a compact car to a compact SUV to accommodate my growing family and deal with the decaying CA roads. The Tiguan is right-sized for urban life in the Bay Area, quite compact exterior for nimble driving and parking, but a very spacious interior. In comparison, Rav4 and CRV are weird/dull/dated. I had hopes for the Forester but the interior was extremely cheap - read the reviews. The Tiguan is in a class of its own for build quality, design, and driving experience. More expensive yes but better value as I will be enjoying this for many years. The 2.0T engine is fantastic, I feel I have the GTI from my youth wrapped in a responsible family package with all safety features.

Gr8 SUV
By LovinTig on 01/01/09 17:43 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My 09 SEL has only been home 2 days. I must say going from the Touareg to the Tiquan was a step down for me. But the cost of gas plus the 1800 brake job on the Touareg made up my mind quick. I think dealers should disclose the high cost of maintenance. You can rest assured I checked out the cost to replace brakes on the Tig! I love all the features! Opted not to have the nav sys. Rather use my phone nav. Have everything else. With the limited supply and end-of-year incentives (they were gr8), had to settle for the blue-pretty though. The only down side I experienced was the negotiation at the dealer! I HATE that part of purchasing a car! Otherwise, I am happy so far! Happy Drivin VW Folk!

I would not recommend this SUV
By Noir Authentique on 11/26/08 03:11 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming from a 2002 Toyota RAV4 which was 100% reliable, I can say this so far has not been the SUV I imagined. The test drive went well at Potamkin VW. I like the interior and exterior design- typical clean design. The interior has a few cheap pieces but you get used to it. On par with the Toyota. The inside is quite roomy but the seats are not so comfortable. Cargo area is useless. With 4k miles- the power around town is peppy but it lacks power on the highway. I also notice the gas goes quicker than expected. It should average 21 MPG and I barely see 15MPG average. On the highway I have seen 23 with the cruise set at 60MPH. Around town it dips to 12-13MPG. Overall, not the best small SUV.

A new kive
By Lou on 09/27/08 02:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car with many usable features. Drives great and has plenty of pick up to merge onto highway. The build quality is excellent. Owned an Audi A- 4 cabriolet before and the panoramic sunroof is excellent. The SEL package has all the need to have comfort features. It is a head turner all the time. The cargo room is plenty for almost all your shopping needs. The Sirius radio is a pleasant surprise as we haven't played any CD's yet. The Wild Cherry color and 18" wheels make for a good looking car. Spend many hours researching the cars in this class and the Tiguan won even though it is more expensive. The gas mileage has been a little low however the foot in the turbo may the cause.

New love
By Low Lou on 09/21/08 02:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased two weeks ago and have been very happy with the quality and features of the SEL package. It stands out from the competitors with its exterior and interior design. Get many comments about it whenever we are out in it. Drives and rides very good plus the 2.0 gives good acceleration when merging on the highway. The roof was not on the wish list but is a nice feature. Spent hours researching all the other competitors models and felt this Tiguan stood out. So far only one gas fill up and was mainly city driving, gas mileage to be determined. The build quality seems to be very tight, the heated seats are very comfortable, it drives great and has excellent power. So far a great buy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$117 per month*