2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
Better build than our BMW!
By maltlover20 on 12/10/12 14:05 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Over 3 years now with our 2009 Canadian Highline model Tiguan, and we still love it. 48K kms and no problems. Took a road trip in June through the Rocky mountains and got awesome fuel economy! Winter driving we swap out our 18inch rims for 16inch aluminum ones with Gislavid winter tires (from Finland) and can plow through snow that the bottom of the chassis is dragging on. It takes 5 days after a major snowfall before the County plows our road, and we have alread had one dump of 35 centimetres and last week another 25cm.

Jury still out
By msul on 10/04/11 22:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love (d) this car until it stranded me on a highway in France for no reason at all. 15,000 miles on the car and after driving 900 miles in two days it just stopped on a bridge 10 minutes from our destination. Now, the French VW dealership has had my car for 3 days and has no idea what the issue is. Who knows what the outcome will be, but service from VW is definitely lacking. Doesn't help that the French work 9-5 with a two hour break in the middle of the day either. Now I have spent most of my vacation on the phone trying to get this resolved before Friday comes since they don't work on weekends.

Lots of issues with the tiguan
By lbrosco on 04/02/11 21:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I want to start out by saying I am glad I found this site, because after reading most of the posts on here I realize I am not alone. Normally I don't post to sites like this but if this stuff helps somebody else going through what I am going through then it's worth it. I bought my car in Arizona in november of 2009 so I have owned it for 1 yr 4 1/2 mths. I will list the problems I have incurred so far. By the way I now live in northern California and I have apprx 30,000 miles. Satellite radio always says linking Back up camera gets stuck Drivers side cornering light went out Brakes jerk when stopping abruptly even at slower speed Emergency brake sticks Burns out cell phone chargers- gone through 5 oem Sensor had to be replaced. Mold inside my car! For the past few months we have been getting a lot of rain in northern California. I have noticed a lot of moisture on the inside of my car, mainly on the windows. I have to dry it every morning with a towel. It would be too much for a defroster to handle. I didn't think anything of it other than it being a pain in the butt. This morning I noticed mold growing underneath all 4 of my floor mats. I removed them from my car and wiped down the carpets with resolve carpet cleaner. I wasn't able to get it all because it is growing under the seats as well. This is a huge problem for me because I am allergic to mold. I have broken out in hives and didn't realize that was the cause.

Tiguan tiger and iguana for real
By daniel on 08/02/10 01:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The tiger represents the speed of this car. Iguana for the luxury and smoothness. Amazing car. I think this is the best car I have ever owned I can't even tell you how much this car has impressed me

High-End Utilitarian Simplicity
By Happa on 02/08/10 10:09 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I picked up a 2009 SEL with Nav and the panoramic roof and I love it. After years of driving "luxory" AWD vehicles I was looking to simplify ... but didn't want to sacrifice the quality I had grown accustomed to. The SEL Tig was a perfect fit ... simple interior but top notch quality (no cheap plastic dashboards here), comfortable, tight as a drum, good Nav, incredible sunroof, and no real lack of "toys" (bluetooth, backup camera, etc.). I have driven Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti (my last three vehiles in that order) ... and I am VERY happy to be driving the Tiguan now.

your dream small SUV is here !
By markt on 10/30/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

a luxury car barely more expensive than a Japanese! the Tiguan has all the features me and my wife have been looking for, it got the looks and it is very practical. the 4Cyl turbocharged engine with the 6speed Tiptronic trans will give you the feel of driving a sport car all while being very easy on gas. the interior is very fancy and well designed, everything looks right at its place and nothing looks cheap. the downside to that is that it only uses premium gas, and its repairs are relatively higher than the regular American/Japanese car. so if you are looking for comfort, top safety and luxury, and power. i say the Tiguan is the way to go, because compered to it, the x3 looks overpriced.

Wish it was bigger but love the features
By Colorado Mtns on 09/29/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I came from a Land Rover LR3 to a 2009 Tiguan. Love the same features of the Land Rover, but disappointed about the room inside. I have (2) dogs and cannot fit much else except them. Also cannot get over the fact there are no armrests in the middle, having to use the console seems odd. Also just ran over a nail on one of the tires and have to have it replaced. The 18" Pirelli's that are on the Tiguan are on national backorder - odd sized tire as well. Not sure if they are good snow tires from what I have researched on the Pirelli website. Gas mileage not what I expected, only averaging 21 mpg on the highway. Overall not quite sure I made the best choice. Should have stayed in my LR3

Just another SUV I suppose
By Xyrius on 08/26/09 13:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I suppose I had higher expectations since my other vehicles are classy sedans or coupes. Going from a sedan or coupe to one of these SUVs is not something a "driver" would be happy with. It's great for tossing large objects into, but even then, a minivan is better suited to people that want to haul stuff, including people. Otherwise, it's just another "L" on wheels.

Fine car
By balaji on 06/15/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Top class car. Refined, precise and hi tech. Options may add up the price. Very powerful, fast and agile. 4 motion is awesome. Interior is incredibly classy. There is simply no comparison to this car at this time.

Our 2nd Tiguan
By Matt on 02/04/09 20:09 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is our 2nd Tiguan, which we picked up just in time to use the 4-Motion against New England snow. Incredible! Very sure-footed in this slop, & a real hoot to drive. The kids love the panoramic moon-roof... it is about as much exposure one can have to the sky without getting a convertible. The Tiguan's Xenon headlamps have peripheral sidelights which activate and illuminate the sides of the road whenever you make a turn. Very nice to have on twisting roads, sharp corners, dark parking lots, city streets, etc. The Tiguan is also a very quiet car for the small SUV/CUV segment. No high pitched whine & road-noise like I experienced with the Toyota RAV4 and CRV.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan Suv in VA is:

$117 per month*