Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Great Car
By Gina Feinstein

HUNK OF JUNK
By Al Carl

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Tiguan used in 2012 and it only had 20k miles on it. Now I'm pushing 90k miles and sadly I still owe 6K.

It all started in September when the timing chain mysteriously jumped, basically destroying the top end of the motor.

The VW dealership fixed all that for 5.3k. I complained so loudly to VW of America they actually sent me a check for 2K because they know their car is a lemon. Even the guys at my dealership in Topeka, Kansas are saying "oh yes, these Tiguan engines have a lot of problems" Thanks Captain Obvious!

6 weeks after that disaster the transmission fluid cooler springs a leak, draining all the fluid, and destroying the transmission. No dash lights came on! That was another 25 hundred including a deal on a junk yard tranny and a hook up with a local mechanic, not the dealership.

I tried to get VW of American to pony up some money to help with the transmission. Their response: "We made one good will payment for the last problem, we won't be doing it again."

Now there's an oil leak. Dave at VW & BMW of Topeka tells me that the crank case vent valve went bad causing the rear main seal to blow out spewing oil all over the undercarriage of the car and on any parking spot I use. That's another 18hundred. Not under warranty. A terrible car. A bad experience. Never VW again. Ever.

DO NOT BUY A TIGUAN!!MONEY PITS
By whitney

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car used a month ago and I wish I did my homework before buying this car.We have owned it for little of a month and have put in $1100 for a seat belt sensor and now it is again at vw for breaking down on us for a time chain that broke that was fixed 10 months ago.Time Chains are very expensive and should last well over 100,000 miles on a car not 8,000 miles 10 months ago.I have owned many vw and this one is unbelievable.I will never again buy a vw very unhappy with vw of america and vw customer service.We have owned it for a month and have already put well over $4000 into it.

16 Months of Funs
By Phil

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car with just over 60,000 miles and it now has 75,000 miles on it, so I thought I would chime in here. So far this has been a great car, and after about $1,000 in maintenance since I've owned it, it seems like it will be good to hit the 100,000 mark, like many of the other 2009 Tiguans for sale around Northern VA right now. It's a really fun car to drive, and I keep my Acura TL in the driveway on most days now. It has breezed through two state inspections. We love the larger, optional sunroof. It turns on a dime and is so much quieter than our 2012 Subaru Outback and my previous small SUV, a 2001 Mazda Tribute that the Tiguan replaced as our "3rd" car. The styling is somewhat timeless too -- when I got it in late 2014, my co-workers and neighbors thought it was a brand new car!

The only real con is no bluetooth -- although it does have the phone icon on the steering wheel -- and it does have an aux in, so there's that. I did have a pesky EPC light come on intermittently, which cost about $600 to fix, so that was the bulk of the expense over 16 months. The local VW dealer has been good, even though I didn't buy the car there.

Be Cautious & Do your homework
By Ms Shay

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you're interested in the Tiguan I strongly suggest you make sure the models are 2012 and above b/c anything later seems like the ball was dropped on mechanical issues and wasn't addressed until the reproduction of the later models i.e. rear main seal or coolant hose. Due to my consecutive visits majority of the dealership knows me by name and face