Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Very disappointed!!
By Josue Lopez

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

One of the worst Volkswagens I have ever driven. A car with less than 70k miles had to get a new engines, throttle issues, oil leak issue, and much more. I have never had any issue with other makers such as Toyota and Nissan. I highly do not recommend this vehicle or anything else from VW please do not purchase VW it so unreliable.

Suggested Improvements

Focus on reliability and not the look.

Lots of Problems...where do I start?
By John Q Public

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the car as 2009 certified. It was great for about a month or so and then a coil went bad. OK, no biggie, $50 co-pay and i'm good to go. Next, the car starts to overheat when the AC is on. I bring it in, they can't find anything wrong, I drive it, it gets hot, I bring it back, etc. Eventually they replace one of the fans. Then the other fan. Then the water pump, then the radiator. OK, that seems to do it. But then, what is that moldy smell and why is there an inch of water on the floor boards? OMG, there is mold growing under all of the floor mats. Turns out the sunroof drain tubes had separated and the water poured into the cabin. Just waiting for the other show to drop now.

worry about quality
By yanhua

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Unfortunately, my 2009 Tiguan has big problems. At 36000miles, water pump was broken. At 40000 miles, oil is leaky. It cost me about $2000 to fix the problems.

my first car
By ariellerae

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am a first time car buyer and I really like this car. I bought a used 09 with 57k miles on it in December and now it has 73k. I heard stories of German cars having a lot of trouble after 60k miles but I haven't had any yet. Yes the brakes squeak a little but I'm used to that I drove a Land Rover Discovery in high school. My tiggy has leather seats, xm, and bluetooth. really all you need. it gets me where I need to go...I would say the most unfortunate thing is that it only takes 91 gas and I'm in CA it's super expensive. Other than that I plan to have this car for at least another 5 years until I can get my dream car the merc glk :)

Favorite Features

the leather seats, the heated seats. the sunroof that covers the length of the roof, the turbo engine, the drive is very smooth and the cabin is quiet

Suggested Improvements

allow it to take cheaper gas

Fuel injector issues/money pit
By brokenvw

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

16 fuel injectors..3 throttle bodies... Nonstop breakdowns. Google Tiguan fuel injectors and you will not buy. Dangerous erratic acceleration out pf the blue when it breaks.

Favorite Features

Turbo

Suggested Improvements

Fuel injectors that dont leak every 20000km