Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Great Car
By Gina Feinstein

16 Months of Funs
By Phil

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car with just over 60,000 miles and it now has 75,000 miles on it, so I thought I would chime in here. So far this has been a great car, and after about $1,000 in maintenance since I've owned it, it seems like it will be good to hit the 100,000 mark, like many of the other 2009 Tiguans for sale around Northern VA right now. It's a really fun car to drive, and I keep my Acura TL in the driveway on most days now. It has breezed through two state inspections. We love the larger, optional sunroof. It turns on a dime and is so much quieter than our 2012 Subaru Outback and my previous small SUV, a 2001 Mazda Tribute that the Tiguan replaced as our "3rd" car. The styling is somewhat timeless too -- when I got it in late 2014, my co-workers and neighbors thought it was a brand new car!

The only real con is no bluetooth -- although it does have the phone icon on the steering wheel -- and it does have an aux in, so there's that. I did have a pesky EPC light come on intermittently, which cost about $600 to fix, so that was the bulk of the expense over 16 months. The local VW dealer has been good, even though I didn't buy the car there.

Be Cautious & Do your homework
By Ms Shay

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you're interested in the Tiguan I strongly suggest you make sure the models are 2012 and above b/c anything later seems like the ball was dropped on mechanical issues and wasn't addressed until the reproduction of the later models i.e. rear main seal or coolant hose. Due to my consecutive visits majority of the dealership knows me by name and face

Some of these reviews are like looking in a mirror
By Afiah A.

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If at all you are on the fence about this car, hope off the fence and go in another direction. Up until about 82,000 this car was great, some minor interior wear and tear, but I attributed that to having kids. Well in on year, I have replaced my lights four or more times, my intake manifold and pumps have been replaced, and my entire door latch system has been changed on the drives side door. In all, this year alone this car has cost me over 3000. I am floored. When I had a note on this car, I did not even spend that in total. Every day I now get in the car and pray no dash lights come on, and the car just drives. Owning this car is pushing me to begin looking for another car, and definitely not another VW. I feel this car is made of glorified plastic. I see VW on the road from the late '80's and early '90's. I am so dismayed as to why my vehicle isn't hanging on. Had I been given just a glimpse into the future with this car, I would have chosen a Toyota or a Honda.

grinding brakes
By lufferman

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At 40k the rear brakes are shot. The care has always braked well. Front brakes are still good. Only clue was grinding metal to metal. The inside brake pad (the one actuated by the caliper's piston) is totally worn down. The outside pad is still very good. It's either poorly designed or the servo actuated emergency brake might be the cause. We have never noticed any brake drag.