Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

grinding brakes
By lufferman

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At 40k the rear brakes are shot. The care has always braked well. Front brakes are still good. Only clue was grinding metal to metal. The inside brake pad (the one actuated by the caliper's piston) is totally worn down. The outside pad is still very good. It's either poorly designed or the servo actuated emergency brake might be the cause. We have never noticed any brake drag.

Fuel Problem/Engine lights on
By Norm

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My car is only a moth old and they already replace gas cap due to engine light on. After a few months later another problem occur fuel gauge not working & showing fuel tank not full. Number on the dash board keep changing and not accurate.

Like a GTI XL
By BCWatty

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted a GTI but rear seat room was just too small. Manual transmission and higher ingress/egress makes this fit my desire for fun and my need for comfort. Would have preferred a manual transmission with the ability to also have nav, sunroof, heated seats and AWD, but VW did not give me that option. I have found base 'S' model's cloth seats do not get as cold as leather seats so I have not yet gone to the aftermarket for heated seats. It is more quiet than my BMW and Chevy Tahoe. It tracks well and has lots of storage cubbies, including a hidden one to the left of steering wheel. Drawers under the seats like the European models would have been nice. Bring on the TDI with a stick!

Auto Hold feature is great for teaching my daughter to drive a stick. All controls are intuitive to use and right where they should be. Smooth manual transmission is great, but the power and handling is what sold me. Came down to 2009 Subaru Forester or Tiguan and VW was just more fun to drive.

Make the "VW" logo on hatch the opener like on the GTI and Rabbit. TDI would be perfect. Allow manual transmission in SE and SEL models - it was difficult to give up the Subaru's cool moonroof (which could be had with a stick). Allow full range of options to be available with the manual stick.

Wow!!! What a fun ride!
By Tiggin'

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First VW since my 1974 rust bucket bug. Love the power, handling, utility and the price. I bought the base model with the manual tranny. This is one really fun and tight ride. An excellent balance of comfort and crisp handling. I have owned an acura, Nissan, Chevy, Ford and nothing compares to the quality so far. I know VW critics abound, for good reason (and that is why I bought the extended warranty) but I have known quite a few VW'ers who have had good luck w/ their vehicles. Don't know what noir authentique is talking about with the "cargo area is useless" comment, but this is a compact with very Nice interior room for the passengers and I fit 9 full size cases of beer in the cargo area.

The excellent balance of power, comfort, looks, and utility. Nice standard features on the Base model.

Offer the Manual Tranny drivers some options such as the moonroof!!!