2009 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:
worry about quality
By yanhua on 09/09/14 11:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Unfortunately, my 2009 Tiguan has big problems. At 36000miles, water pump was broken. At 40000 miles, oil is leaky. It cost me about $2000 to fix the problems.

my first car
By ariellerae on 08/07/14 17:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am a first time car buyer and I really like this car. I bought a used 09 with 57k miles on it in December and now it has 73k. I heard stories of German cars having a lot of trouble after 60k miles but I haven't had any yet. Yes the brakes squeak a little but I'm used to that I drove a Land Rover Discovery in high school. My tiggy has leather seats, xm, and bluetooth. really all you need. it gets me where I need to go...I would say the most unfortunate thing is that it only takes 91 gas and I'm in CA it's super expensive. Other than that I plan to have this car for at least another 5 years until I can get my dream car the merc glk :)

Fuel injector issues/money pit
By brokenvw on 01/12/14 14:12 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

16 fuel injectors..3 throttle bodies... Nonstop breakdowns. Google Tiguan fuel injectors and you will not buy. Dangerous erratic acceleration out pf the blue when it breaks.

Stay far away
By georgeste on 01/07/14 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love driving this car but... I'm the second owner since 63000km 16 fuel injectors and 3 bad throttle bodies later I have decided that I'm done with constant breakdowns. For sale 1 tiguan 123000km

At 70K what you could expect
By nhvw2009 on 09/07/13 07:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Tiquan new in 2009. It ran well up to 60K. In the last 10K I need a front drive axel ($650), a new manifold / seals as sensor light is on and there is carbon buildup ($700), yesterday it needed a pressure switch for the AC ($340), and then a electronic ignition problem caused a plug to blow ($150). Not sure what to do at this point, trade or keep putting money into the car. There has not been a lot post by people who had the car for 3-4 years.

Un-Reliable after 50K miles!
By negaverse on 01/10/13 14:38 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the car brand new in 2009 and it was a great drive at first. The car was awesome for the first 2 years. I drove it about 20k miles a year. It was so comfy and fun to drive esp on long trips. But, after about 50k miles, I had so many problems!! Those dreaded EPC lights would always come on! I ended up taking a huge loss on the car with another 1.5 years to pay off but I had safety concerns with a car that would stop accelerating in the middle of the road. I have heard the myths bout VW electrical issues but did not believe them until I bought my own VW. Unfortunately they are true.

Better build than our BMW!
By maltlover20 on 12/10/12 14:05 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Over 3 years now with our 2009 Canadian Highline model Tiguan, and we still love it. 48K kms and no problems. Took a road trip in June through the Rocky mountains and got awesome fuel economy! Winter driving we swap out our 18inch rims for 16inch aluminum ones with Gislavid winter tires (from Finland) and can plow through snow that the bottom of the chassis is dragging on. It takes 5 days after a major snowfall before the County plows our road, and we have alread had one dump of 35 centimetres and last week another 25cm.

Love my Little Tiggi
By cpalafox on 05/29/12 17:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car with 20k miles, and have put 10k in the 2 months I've had it. And i'm happy to report that I have not had any issues with it. Only problem I have is the squeeky/grinding of the brakes. or rattling when I suddenly step on them. It came with a navigation system that was installed by the first owner and it irritates me. radio wont come on when I want, cant hook up my ipod or hear music from my phone on pandora. And the fact that the radio shuts down and tells me "I am going over the speed limit kills me!! But overall I'm happy with it..

So Many Problems!!!!
By cap723 on 04/18/12 17:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am just ending my 4 year lease and I have had so many issues with this car that have added up. Although the look of the car is very nice and it's fun to drive and I never had any major mechanical problems - I still had issue after issue with this car. A few weeks after I drove it off the lot the guage that showed how much gas I had in my tank was broken. I had to take it back twice for them to fix it. Since then my radio just goes off when it wants, the back-up camera stopped working, I had to get new tires and breaks, there is a horrible moisture problem and it always smells like mold, the AC doesn't come out cold .it goes on!I would stay away from this car ulnless you want a heacache

grinding brakes
By lufferman on 10/22/11 08:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At 40k the rear brakes are shot. The care has always braked well. Front brakes are still good. Only clue was grinding metal to metal. The inside brake pad (the one actuated by the caliper's piston) is totally worn down. The outside pad is still very good. It's either poorly designed or the servo actuated emergency brake might be the cause. We have never noticed any brake drag.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan in VA is:

$117 per month*