great gas milage
By criminal on
2011 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
I have owned this vehicle since August of 2011. I have put only 8600 miles on the vehicle, and have made to extended trips, one of over 500 miles. On that trip I filled up at start and drove 276 miles. I drove between 65-70 mph, made one stop, and got over 30 miles per gallon actual. I had issues with the vehicle's cruise control. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Has been to dealer twice and whatever they did, cruise still not working properly. Also have noticed a jerking feeling frquently when backing. Dealership said they know of problem but to date they have not fixed it. I like the car overall. Drives well, fairly quiet on road. The free oilchanges for 36 months a plus.
Favorite Features
Bluetooth, nice interior, highway gas milage.
Suggested Improvements
Less than desirable city gas milage, cruise control problem, tranny disappointment.
By blanchmj
on 10/13/12 11:43 AM (PDT)

Sorry, improvements from 2010 to *2011, meant to say.

By blanchmj
on 10/13/12 11:42 AM (PDT)

Hey there - could you answer a question for me? I know there were many improvements from 2010 to 2009. I saw some reviews from '09 and '10 models about needing to replace the brakes every 30k miles. Have you had a similar problem? Or have your brakes had a better longevity? Thanks, Matt

By twinmommy224
on 06/05/13 01:30 AM (PDT)

I have a question for you @criminal. I know you originally posted last summer, but I'm hoping you are around still. We bought a 2010 in 5/11, I had issues with the van turning off while I was driving. Took it to dealership to fix it 2 times within the first month. Then we travelled from Sac to LA. Well, on our way home, transmission blew up on freeway.... VW bought the van back and replaced van with brand new 2011 Routan (it took about 4-5 wks to be delivered) We got the 2011 in mid-Aug 2011. By Sept I started having issues with the new one. The cruise control has been 'fixed' countless times, every time I am 'promised' that it is totally fixed. Then within days of me getting van (actually, last time, I barely got from dealership to freeway before it stopped working) Did they ever really get your cruise control fixed?? I have lost count how many times I took it in for the exact same thing, I know it has surpassed 6 times (just dropped it off today, which is the 3rd time since Jan) each time they have my van for 2-4 weeks. Also, I don't know if you've had this issue, but when i open either of my rear doors (thru inside buttons, keyfob, or handle) they close without anyone touching it. It smashes my son frequently. The safety stopper doesn't work and it hurts him. They can't seem to fix that either.... My ck engine light comes on for no reason (according to them) also, it beeps constantly telling me to change oil, when it isn't even close to time. And, I've told them the last 3 times that something was going on with my brakes. They squeak a lot, I have to be very careful because it takes a pretty long distance for it to make complete stop (it goes over line at stop lights consistently, because it doesn't stop as it should) when I dropped it off today and told him again, he said it's NORMAL?? Can someone please help me with some advice on what I can do, do I demand they replace the car at the dealership? Should I get on VW corporate? Or is there something else I should do? I really love the van, but obviously they can't fix this van!!! I have ran out of patience with these issues. I bought a new van for it to WORK, not for me to have to drive it 45 miles(each way) 1week out of the month, to be put in a small loaner for the other 3, while they 'fix' my van......someone please help!!!!