Used 2011 Volkswagen Routan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Electrical and service nightmare
By justsaynat

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased from Ken Garff VW in Orem in November of 2011. Within less than a month we were at the service dep. getting things fixed. First it was the paint and weather stripping around all the windows chipping and pealing and discolored. Then it was several trips for a shifting problem. They said it was electrical and they said they fixed it. But we were back 5 times and 2 so called recall updates to the electrical before finally another location replaced something I the engine. That seemed to help. But then the motor for the AC and heater broke. Then the electrical went crazy and my car shut off mid driving. Now it's in the shop and I am ready to call it a lemon and get a new car.

We like the color and back-up camera. We like the interior "leatherette" leather look, easy to clean. Design is nice looking. We like the tv monitors in the front and back. We like the heated seats.

The electrical is unreliable and when it's not working, has shut off my car mid operating and left me in stranded in the middle of the road with kids! So dangerous. Recalls on the engine and electrical never get resolved. It needs new engine and new electrical.

Not Bad...Could be better.
By ministerpaul08

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The 2011 VW Routan is a drastic improvement over the previous year due to design refreshes and a more potent powertrain featuring a six speed transmission, the new Penstar 3.6L 283 HP Six cylinder engine, and euro sport tune suspension. The build quality of the Routan's interior is very good with excellent materials. Exterior styling is nice and not overly done and boxy like the Dodge/Chrysler models. Its sleek sloping lines are just right. Storage is abundant and replaces the stow n go found in the Routan's cousin. The Routan is an excellent choice over Chrysler, but considering quality and refinement... Honda and Toyota may be a better choice.

Interior design and quality much better than Chrysler badged cousin, Suspension is very good, Engine horsepower moves this vehicle swiftly, Gas mileage is the true surprise, but I usually drive alone...I can get over 30 mpg on highway at 55 - 60 mph. 28 mpg is good enough at 65. 3 years of free maintenance...actually free oil changes and not much else. Heated seats are a plus.

The transmission shifts with frequent thumps at low speeds and increases when using the ECO button to increase mpg. I know six speed transmissions are new to Chrysler, but this should have been ironed out in testing, especially if they plan to use 8 speed transmissions in 2012 models. Road noise booms when seats folded. Headlights should never have water in them much less days after rain. Free 3 year maintenance plan misleading.

Transmission is still a problem
By gjavellana

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very dangerous. Was on a freeway at 60MPH with a baby in tow when the car stop and will not move. The day before I brought the car to the dealer to check because I told them I step on the gas but the car will not move, and I was going on a roadtrip. Was told nothing wrong with the car. The next day 60 miles away from home the car stalled on a freeway. WORST WARRANTY SERVICE. Called roadside assistance and was told that nobody can help us because the nearest dealer needs an appointment first ( Cardinale Way VW). Called Volkswagen and they said work with dealer because they are a private company. What happened to company warranty.

The lights

Service and honesty to tell the owners that there is a transmission issue with Volkswagen. So I do not drive the kids on the freeway.