Used 2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Mad mama
By Carroll Thomas

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

As soon as the 60 mile warranty expired, the transmission light came on. I took it to have a Emissions Test done and it failed. I learned that the torque converter needs replacing. The car is some garbage. I would never recommend anyone purchase Volkswagen.

Not what I thought
By Ymorffi

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Since I bought this car its had problems after problems. Parts can only be purchased from dealer, and most mechanic can and does not work on these cars. Three times I've had to take the car in for mechanical reasons and it stays working great for a few months before something completely new pops up. The dealer charges even the days the car seats in the parking lot waiting for repair.

Tipm Module Issues
By Carlos

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First of all, these cars are built by Chrysler, and has an issues with the tipm module which only cost to repair $1,000 or more with no guaranty that will not happen again, I did some research and found a lot of people having this issue, it causes the car to turn off while driving it, or sometimes will not start at all. I have 53K miles on it. Also the engine is weak and the transmission is starting to give me problems, along with a side door making noises when I open it. Stay away from these vans.

don't buy one of these
By Pat

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Make sure you purchase an extended warranty if you must own one. This is a big/heavy van...feels way heavier than the previous generation grand caravans. Brakes are undersized....chews through pads at an amazing rate every 25k or so. 30k miles driver's side seat heater shorted out and had to be replaced. 72k miles flex plate in transmission had to be replaced. 75k miles spun rod bearing and had to replace short block. 95k miles torque converter solenoid and leaking transmission lines replaced. Since 50k miles random electrical issues with cam position sensor (i believe a resulting mis-fire was the root cause of the rod bearing failure) and inability to start vehicle. Dealer can do nothing since no computer only gives generic cam position sensor error and it never does it while at the dealership.

Dealers don't seem to know anything about these vehicles since they are made by chrysler.

interior quality is crap, when temperature/weather changes the video screens and storage in the ceiling rattle like crazy until the whole interior is up to temperature.

bluetooth connection for hands-free calling is garbage....too slow, too hard to set up compared to other manufacturers

sunlight coming in over driver's shoulder completely washes out LED displays on dash (odometer, outside temp, etc).

front window deforster vents are in the completely wrong place...blow warm air higher on the windshield than the resting position of the wipers. in snow and sleet the wipers and lower windshield ice up resulting in the window not being cleared by the wipers

Family of 5 loves their Routan!
By Tim Beldner

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our new 2011 Routan in September of 2011 from Bommorito VW just West of St. Louis, MO. This is on of the few cars we have ever bought new. It has been a GREAT buy! If memory serves me right we purchased it for $24,500 as they had an $8k off of MSRP deal. We opted for two DVD player screens but in reality, one would have sufficed. My only regret is not purchasing the built in GPS... We have just under 80,000 miles on it (writing in January of '16) and have had only minor issues. The rear door stopped working and one of the sliding doors was iffy for awhile. Rotors always went out around 70,000 miles. Have had multiple long distance road trips, one covering 3,200 miles (Charlotte NC to Omaha NE to Harmoney MN down to Memphis, TN and then back to Charlotte) and we average and incredible 28 MPG, pretty sweet in my opinion. I probably averaged 70 - 72 MPH on that trip. I wish VW had kept making this car, said to see it's value drop when production stopped;( Have our 4th kid on the way so may need to upgrade to a bigger vehicle in the next 6 months or so but if not for that would keep the car until it died... Anyone land more than 150k miles on their Routon without major issues? Anyway, really like our routan and do not have any buyers regrets 80k later!