2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
still going strong
By ncrsx on 08/06/14 19:59 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have over 61k miles with no major issues. Only problem is the brakes. My dealer replaced them at 26k miles no charge then I had to replace them at 55k miles with aftermarket cause oem rotors are crap. Other than the brakes I'm happy with my purchase. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Electrical and service nightmare
By justsaynat on 03/11/14 10:20 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased from Ken Garff VW in Orem in November of 2011. Within less than a month we were at the service dep. getting things fixed. First it was the paint and weather stripping around all the windows chipping and pealing and discolored. Then it was several trips for a shifting problem. They said it was electrical and they said they fixed it. But we were back 5 times and 2 so called recall updates to the electrical before finally another location replaced something I the engine. That seemed to help. But then the motor for the AC and heater broke. Then the electrical went crazy and my car shut off mid driving. Now it's in the shop and I am ready to call it a lemon and get a new car.

Cannot stand this van
By vanluvea on 07/25/13 06:04 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first minivan and I bought it used to save some bucks. However, I completely regret my purchase. My main complaint on this thing is interior quality. It seems like everything is taped together. Both front seats creak, creaks in the pillars, rattle in the dash and right sliding door rattles. Not to mention the windows rattle when they are down. The suspension on this thing is definitely stiffer which is fine but when the interior is built so poorly it easily shows. The worst part is the Caravan seems better by a small margin. I am ditching this thing for an Odyssey and willing to lose some cash on my trade in. That's just how much I hate it.

great gas milage
By criminal on 06/11/12 15:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this vehicle since August of 2011. I have put only 8600 miles on the vehicle, and have made to extended trips, one of over 500 miles. On that trip I filled up at start and drove 276 miles. I drove between 65-70 mph, made one stop, and got over 30 miles per gallon actual. I had issues with the vehicle's cruise control. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Has been to dealer twice and whatever they did, cruise still not working properly. Also have noticed a jerking feeling frquently when backing. Dealership said they know of problem but to date they have not fixed it. I like the car overall. Drives well, fairly quiet on road. The free oilchanges for 36 months a plus.

Not Bad...Could be better.
By ministerpaul08 on 12/29/11 20:03 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The 2011 VW Routan is a drastic improvement over the previous year due to design refreshes and a more potent powertrain featuring a six speed transmission, the new Penstar 3.6L 283 HP Six cylinder engine, and euro sport tune suspension. The build quality of the Routan's interior is very good with excellent materials. Exterior styling is nice and not overly done and boxy like the Dodge/Chrysler models. Its sleek sloping lines are just right. Storage is abundant and replaces the stow n go found in the Routan's cousin. The Routan is an excellent choice over Chrysler, but considering quality and refinement... Honda and Toyota may be a better choice.

12,000 miles and going strong
By fairest on 10/15/11 18:31 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the 2011 Routan for our summer driving season. This van has been great for us. The navigation and ent. system are very easy to use. It is also nice to have the various electronic access points in the rear seats. We drove the van 12,000 this summer and cannot be disappointed.

Transmission is still a problem
By gjavellana on 09/06/11 14:39 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very dangerous. Was on a freeway at 60MPH with a baby in tow when the car stop and will not move. The day before I brought the car to the dealer to check because I told them I step on the gas but the car will not move, and I was going on a roadtrip. Was told nothing wrong with the car. The next day 60 miles away from home the car stalled on a freeway. WORST WARRANTY SERVICE. Called roadside assistance and was told that nobody can help us because the nearest dealer needs an appointment first ( Cardinale Way VW). Called Volkswagen and they said work with dealer because they are a private company. What happened to company warranty.

Best Car We Have Owned
By carademono on 05/23/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We generally move through cars every few years as leases expire etc. This one has been a tremendously fun surprise. We drove the Odessey and the Sienna (owned a 2006) and did not think there was any comparison. The VW is far superior. This car is easy to drive and actually fun. The kids love the room and the dynamic seating arrangements. There is a crazy amount of storage and the included entertainment package is better than expected. Do not understanding the lukewarm reviews on this vehicle. Do yourself a favor and give it a look. You will love it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$138 per month*