Used 2011 Volkswagen Routan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Routan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

still going strong
By ncrsx

2011 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have over 61k miles with no major issues. Only problem is the brakes. My dealer replaced them at 26k miles no charge then I had to replace them at 55k miles with aftermarket cause oem rotors are crap. Other than the brakes I'm happy with my purchase. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Favorite Features

2 TV's, good power

Suggested Improvements

Knowing it's a Chrysler would like true VW build quality.

Electrical and service nightmare
By justsaynat

2011 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased from Ken Garff VW in Orem in November of 2011. Within less than a month we were at the service dep. getting things fixed. First it was the paint and weather stripping around all the windows chipping and pealing and discolored. Then it was several trips for a shifting problem. They said it was electrical and they said they fixed it. But we were back 5 times and 2 so called recall updates to the electrical before finally another location replaced something I the engine. That seemed to help. But then the motor for the AC and heater broke. Then the electrical went crazy and my car shut off mid driving. Now it's in the shop and I am ready to call it a lemon and get a new car.

Favorite Features

We like the color and back-up camera. We like the interior "leatherette" leather look, easy to clean. Design is nice looking. We like the tv monitors in the front and back. We like the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical is unreliable and when it's not working, has shut off my car mid operating and left me in stranded in the middle of the road with kids! So dangerous. Recalls on the engine and electrical never get resolved. It needs new engine and new electrical.

Cannot stand this van
By vanluvea

2011 Volkswagen Routan S 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first minivan and I bought it used to save some bucks. However, I completely regret my purchase. My main complaint on this thing is interior quality. It seems like everything is taped together. Both front seats creak, creaks in the pillars, rattle in the dash and right sliding door rattles. Not to mention the windows rattle when they are down. The suspension on this thing is definitely stiffer which is fine but when the interior is built so poorly it easily shows. The worst part is the Caravan seems better by a small margin. I am ditching this thing for an Odyssey and willing to lose some cash on my trade in. That's just how much I hate it.

Favorite Features

The powertrain seems more than powerful enough. Relatively comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The engine noise seems to intrude into the cabin a little too much. Although it is better than the Sienna. Dash is lite in red yet the speedometer/tachometer cluster is in white? Looks cheap and not well thought out. Interior is put together poorly and makes far too much noise while driving on rough pavement. If this could be corrected I could live with this thing.

great gas milage
By criminal

2011 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this vehicle since August of 2011. I have put only 8600 miles on the vehicle, and have made to extended trips, one of over 500 miles. On that trip I filled up at start and drove 276 miles. I drove between 65-70 mph, made one stop, and got over 30 miles per gallon actual. I had issues with the vehicle's cruise control. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Has been to dealer twice and whatever they did, cruise still not working properly. Also have noticed a jerking feeling frquently when backing. Dealership said they know of problem but to date they have not fixed it. I like the car overall. Drives well, fairly quiet on road. The free oilchanges for 36 months a plus.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, nice interior, highway gas milage.

Suggested Improvements

Less than desirable city gas milage, cruise control problem, tranny disappointment.

Not Bad...Could be better.
By ministerpaul08

2011 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The 2011 VW Routan is a drastic improvement over the previous year due to design refreshes and a more potent powertrain featuring a six speed transmission, the new Penstar 3.6L 283 HP Six cylinder engine, and euro sport tune suspension. The build quality of the Routan's interior is very good with excellent materials. Exterior styling is nice and not overly done and boxy like the Dodge/Chrysler models. Its sleek sloping lines are just right. Storage is abundant and replaces the stow n go found in the Routan's cousin. The Routan is an excellent choice over Chrysler, but considering quality and refinement... Honda and Toyota may be a better choice.

Favorite Features

Interior design and quality much better than Chrysler badged cousin, Suspension is very good, Engine horsepower moves this vehicle swiftly, Gas mileage is the true surprise, but I usually drive alone...I can get over 30 mpg on highway at 55 - 60 mph. 28 mpg is good enough at 65. 3 years of free maintenance...actually free oil changes and not much else. Heated seats are a plus.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission shifts with frequent thumps at low speeds and increases when using the ECO button to increase mpg. I know six speed transmissions are new to Chrysler, but this should have been ironed out in testing, especially if they plan to use 8 speed transmissions in 2012 models. Road noise booms when seats folded. Headlights should never have water in them much less days after rain. Free 3 year maintenance plan misleading.