2010 Volkswagen Routan Consumer Review: Follow up review

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Review

By fshifteh on

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow up to my earlier post. I have had this car for 9 months now. There has been a few areas that I had issues. First all my brakes had to be replaced at 10k miles due to vibration in steering. The dealer did this under Warranty. Second, I has issues with putting the 2nd row seat back, as it was stuck and could not remove it or put it back, as a result the dealer replaced the seat frame free of charge. The 3rd issue was some creaking noise that would come from driver's door while driving on certain bump which was very irritating and after taking to 2 different dealerships, the second dealer lubricated the driver side door hinges and that took care of the issue.

Overall this is a good family van and I still believe that in general it is comfortable. There is plenty of room for moving people and gear around. The exterior look is good and the VES is very handy for keeping kids busy. Also the VW's Care Free Maintenance is definitely a great feature.

I have the 3.8L engine which gives me anywhere between 13.5 - 14.5 mpg in the city. I think that could have been improved. Additionally I think the engine is underpowered to some extent. Since I live in a hilly place in Southern California, I can feel that sometimes the engine is struggling to accelerate moving uphill. Also the brakes and rotors need to be improved. I know they are Chrysler brakes and as a former Chrysler employee, I know that Chrysler cars don't have long lasting brakes and rotors as I experienced this in my 3 other Chrysler cars. Another area that can be improved is having some sort of Stow-n-Go for the 2nd row seats, as currently they can't be moved back and forth.