2010 Volkswagen Routan Consumer Review: Body Rust within 851 Miles

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Review

Body Rust within 851 Miles
By SEL Premium CARB on

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this van! On 6/19/10, I bought a SEL Premium CARB from a dealer in Columbus, OH, and it is rusted in less than a month after I took it off the dealerís lot. The rust happened where the outer panel was glued with the inner panel around the left rear wheel well. With 851 miles on the van, the dealer asked me to drive to the VWís authorized body shop for an estimate. Since the shop has to open (drilling out all body- glue spots) the body panel above the rear wheel to check the inside rust, the repair costs the VW $1100.00. If it is not done this way, the rust will eat the vanís body from inside out. (continue in the next section)

This is a $40,000 van and it started to get rusted from an inside out in less than a month after delivery. The VW will not replace the van with another or any other VW models. The Service Manager at the dealer told me the body rust warranty is 12 years, and gave me the 1-800 number to call VW.

I called that number and found out that other VW models have 12 years warranty, but the Routan has only 3 yr/unlimited miles all panel warranty or 5 yr/100k miles outer panel warranty. I requested to return the van or exchange with another model with 12 years rust warranty, but the dealer denied.