Used 2010 Volkswagen Routan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Routan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Most Helpful|
Disapointed
By Uber

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Drives and rides well for a minivan. Motor and transmission seem OK. This van has had many recalls and just stopped tonight all the lights / electronics went out and the motor died. We drifted off the road - it restarted. It already rattles / fan belts squeak Drivers side window doesn't work. DVD screens block rear view mirror. Feels cheap. AC really isn't cold for a brand new car. Something is wrong with the tuning the fuel economy is not nearly what it is rated for. VW put lipstick on this pig. Do more research before you buy one.

Favorite Features

It does drive well for a minivan and all the bells and whistles are nice but not if its not going to run more than 25,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

The DVD screens are a hazard. It's a cheap Chrysler. Build a VW from the ground up - remake he VW camper van with the little TDI engine. It's to bad this great German company tried to dress up a Chrysler.

Volkswagen has sold out
By routan VW

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really don't like this VW Routan at all. It is small and cramped. I have hit my head several times getting in and out of the vehicle. The kids keep hitting their heads when they climb in to get in to the back seats. The automatic doors are extremely annoying. What has Volkswagen done? They have sold out and made their van just like all the other vans on the market. Long live Eurovans!

Favorite Features

A lot of drink holders

Suggested Improvements

Make it more original like the old Eurovans. Needs much more head space!

By fshifteh

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow up to my earlier comments about my Routan. I have more than 24000 miles on the car. During the past 20 months, I had to replace my front brakes and rotors twice. The rear rotors have also been turned twice and the rear brakes were replaced as well. Fortunately everything has been under warranty. Even though I could consider buying this car when the lease is up in a year, but my concern is that I have to replace the brakes every year since it won't be covered by any service contract.

Favorite Features

Navigation system and interior seat comforts.

Suggested Improvements

The Entertainment system unit makes a lot of squeky noiuse when driving on rough road. I have taken this to dealer twice but they say it is normal and it is due to plastic rubbing against metal. Pretty annoying. Also the second row seats don't slide back and can't be stowed in the floor.

Watch the oil level
By fshifteh

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update on my previous posts. Recently at 28000 miles I noticed the oil pressure light was flashing in my Routan. After inspecting the dipstick I was surprised to see that the car had very little oil, so I ended up adding 2.5 quarts of 5W-20 oil. I was surprised because I have never missed any of my scheduled maintenance. When I took the car to the dealer they said that they have seen this issue with these vans. And the recommendation was to check the oil level every 3000 miles. They said these vans burn oil in average 1 quart every 3000 miles. For your info, I have changed my engine oil in average every 5500 miles when the light had indicated that it is time to do so.

DON'T buy a routon, BIG safety issue.
By BoMom

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We just purchased the Routon SEL premium from jersey village Volkswagan in houston TX. I paid $37,000 for there top of the line routon. The dvd screens in the routon block the entire view from your rear view mirror,it is a huge safety hazard. Frankly this vehicle needs to be recalled before there are numerous accidents asssociated with this major design flaw.The dealership which is owned by sonic automotive even offered to have dvd screens put into the headrests, so they obviously know about there safety issue.Don't make my mistake. Buy another brand of mini van stay away from the routon. There is numerous amounts of problems with this vehichle and the one I mentioned was just one.

Favorite Features

Remote start,power 3rd row

Suggested Improvements

DVD screens need a whole redign so the driver can see out the rear view mirror,NAV way below par,the premium sound system is a joke, the back up camera is terrible.The seats are not comfortable.The car is just very cheaply made.The road noise is not good either.