2010 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
DON'T buy a routon, BIG safety issue.
By BoMom on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We just purchased the Routon SEL premium from jersey village Volkswagan in houston TX. I paid $37,000 for there top of the line routon. The dvd screens in the routon block the entire view from your rear view mirror,it is a huge safety hazard. Frankly this vehicle needs to be recalled before there are numerous accidents asssociated with this major design flaw.The dealership which is owned by sonic automotive even offered to have dvd screens put into the headrests, so they obviously know about there safety issue.Don't make my mistake. Buy another brand of mini van stay away from the routon. There is numerous amounts of problems with this vehichle and the one I mentioned was just one.

So Far, So Good!
By Spartan08 on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned this van for about 3 moths now. We love everything about it except for the gas mileage. We drive about 800 miles a week so gas mileage is very important to us. We are averaging about 20 miles/gallon. When we bought this van, we were a little concerned about the quality. Especially since it is manufactured by Chrysler. The engine components and parts even have Mopar written all over them. So far we haven't had any problems whatsoever. We have learned that even though it is made by Chrysler; it doesn't mean it is a Chrysler. VW has definitelly refined the comfort and style. Our 3 year old loves the entertainment center.

Great Value Minivan
By ad on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have previously researched this car for almost 6 months and I just decided to buy it now for a huge incentives (i mean $8400 off from MSRP!). The only downful on this van is that they always attached it with chrysler/dodge. Hey people, we should be proud of our own products. Anyway, based on my analysis, the handling is decent, it has enough power to pass slow moving cars. I dont have problems changing lanes, the side mirror is a good size and its adequately placed. I dont have problems with my blind spot side. It feels that you are in control in the road. My family loves it. Dont get the overpriced Sienna and Odyssey. Save your extra money for vacation.

Exelent Van
By Enrriquillo on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Driving to NY from South Carolina tree times, 12 hours trip, very confortable and nice to drive. Not very noisy inside. Gas in average, I would like one with engine TDI. Sound system ok. Captain seats very comfortable for long trips.

Clunky -Awful Gas Mileage - Bad in Snow
By PJ on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have had this van now for almost 2- years. We are counting down the days to get rid of it. It all started the transmission clunking since day 1 and still no fix. It also feels like it accelerates without touching the gas when it's cold. We can barely get up our hill in the snow and will not take it on road trips because the mileage is awful.

Uneven performer - really poor quality
By jisla on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

After eight years of driving two different Odesseys, I made the mistake of leasing a Routan instead. Two factors drove my decision: a desire for change, and economics. I can only criticize Honda for their very boring color schemes. And the Routan's final sticker price represented a small advantage. But long-term use revealed the Routan's true colors. It is at least 30% less fuel-efficient than the Odyssey. That translates to a higher per month cost. Whatever I saved at purchase was an illusion. Most importantly, the Routan is plain cheap. It is a clunker: over bumps and engaging into gear. The power side doors lock up and the transmission frequently sticks in low. Don't get on a Routan!

Body Rust within 851 Miles
By SEL Premium CARB on 07/29/10 06:01 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this van! On 6/19/10, I bought a SEL Premium CARB from a dealer in Columbus, OH, and it is rusted in less than a month after I took it off the dealerís lot. The rust happened where the outer panel was glued with the inner panel around the left rear wheel well. With 851 miles on the van, the dealer asked me to drive to the VWís authorized body shop for an estimate. Since the shop has to open (drilling out all body- glue spots) the body panel above the rear wheel to check the inside rust, the repair costs the VW $1100.00. If it is not done this way, the rust will eat the vanís body from inside out. (continue in the next section)

Das Auto!!
By Michael on 07/27/10 04:55 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

A minivan?? I don't drive minivans. My wife wanted a Toyota Sienna for years, but we stuck with our Explorers, Blazers, Suburbans, and even an Escalade. But when I saw this vehicle I fell in love with it. This is the ONLY minivan I would ever consider. It drives like a German sports sedan, is as long as a Chevy Tahoe, and has the room of a luxury car. This auto has power everything, leather Captains chairs in the front and back, which recline to a 180 degree position. The rear seat is comfy and also has power stowaway seats and the rear entertainment systems allows for 2 movies at once! Great for parents with children of different ages. This is NOT a Chrysler, the suspension VW uses is superb

Tarted up Chrysler eh? Worth a look
By Paul on 07/12/10 16:38 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We looked at Siennas and Odysseys, however Toyota weren't willing to offer a whole lot in terms of incentives and I knew the Honda was due for a replacement model, so that kept it out of the running. I preferred the look and interior materials of the VW to the Chrysler. In addition, we got one heck of a good price for a loaded SEL Premium. So far, it's been perfect for the wife and the kids - she prefers the three rows of accessible seats, compared to our old CUV (Mazda CX-9) Time will tell on the reliability front.

Volkswagen has sold out
By routan VW on 07/01/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really don't like this VW Routan at all. It is small and cramped. I have hit my head several times getting in and out of the vehicle. The kids keep hitting their heads when they climb in to get in to the back seats. The automatic doors are extremely annoying. What has Volkswagen done? They have sold out and made their van just like all the other vans on the market. Long live Eurovans!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Routan in VA is:

$107 per month*