2009 Volkswagen Routan Consumer Review: VW Routan Brake Problems

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Review

S Passenger Minivan (3.8L V6 6-speed Automatic)

VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82 on

2009 Volkswagen Routan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since. The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience. However, there are a lot of design issues with it. I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue. Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it. As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C. Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses. So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

VW service is awesome - I fee bad they have tarnished the brand when they started offering a Chrysler product. I have been loyal to VW for many years owning more than a dozen models over the years. I'd recommend they sell their products and stay away from factored products.

Brakes are under-sized for the weight (mass) of the vehicle. This issue is in my opinion a product safety concern. Hope they will fix soon.
By otbug
on 03/14/15 18:06 PM (PDT)

I have a 2009 Routan SEL. For 2.5 years I've dealt with it lurching and clunking while coasting down a slope at slow speeds, and stalling if I decelerate too rapidly. I've got an extended warranty, and it has 87,000 miles on it. I've taken it to the dealership many times and they refuse to fix it unless they can get it to reproduce the issue for them. They also want to charge me labor for diagnostics when they are not fixing anything! It happens 1-2x a week, so the chances of them reproducing it are low.Chances of me being injured or killed is much higher! It's at the dealership again. I've told them that if they can't find and fix it this time, they might as well take it to a junkyard! I don't want my children riding in it!

By walnutcreekvw
on 07/01/14 14:54 PM (PDT)

Your Routan is not a lemon. I used to think the same thing until mine shut down while driving...again! VW replaced our control module a couple of years ago, but the van loses power while driving. It's really scary! We had our rotors replaced as well. They still shake. They told us it was from the weight of the vehicle. This van is not safe. I called VW today to start a case. Does a family have to get injured/killed before they resolve this issue? Call VW and start a case so we can have these issues addressed before someone gets hurt.1-800-822-8987